Weird desicion

Your banter here!
sportfury1959

Weird desicion

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello Group,

Finally I could finish with the interior on my SF and the car is back on the road again for the 2007 season. Unfortunately things don’t turn out as planed. The old 318 is close to it’s end and, meanwhile the 361 BB that I disassembled during the last weeks showed a very fine hair crack between cylinder 4 and 6. To weld it with all the new parts that I would need – it would cost me a fortune to bring it back to life, so this project is also stopped. Not to mention the remaining doubts about it’s reliability. This project seems to be a barrel without bottom.
But, after all this bad luck there is a silver stripe on the horizon - I guess I finally found a solution for my Sport Fury. I know, it sounds weird but on second thoughts quite viable. What happened: Couple of month ago my brother, who drives a 740d BMW had an accident while the car was parked in a parking lot of an expedition company. A truck pulled back and hit the car right in the side, between the front and rear door. Not too, bad but the B column and the roof were bent in a little. As the car was already 8 years old, the security company didn’t want to pay the repair of the BMW because the real value of the car was lower than the repair. That’s how security companies work. After some weeks of struggling they finally paid my brother leaving him the old BMW in the yard. A couple of days ago he called me and offered me the wreck for just taking it out of his driveway. The car has a 4 litre Turbo Diesel engine with 245 hp and only 165.000 km (about 100.000 miles) on it. The automatic transmission is a 5 speed and works just fine. Last time I drove the car it pulled up in 0 – 120 mph in a little more than nothing. I simply like this car and how it drives. Well, and this is the way I go. I take the complete unit, engine and transmission, out of the BMW and transplant it in my SF. I already took the measures and it could work with some bracket adjustments
This way nobody will beat me in performance and fuel economy!!! That is very important here. Of course I will keep the 318 in the storage so I can swap it back again – later.

Stefan
bmw 740d.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Way to go, Stefan -- you beat everyone to the punch.

Happy April Fools Day!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

April Fool or not, anything but a Chevy 350.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK -- on the half-chance that Stefan is serious, and I overplayed my hand -- let me point out that AFD is a big deal here in the States! To wit, check out some of the hilarity at Google:

http://www.google.com/tisp/

Dan
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Dick Koch wrote:April Fool or not, anything but a Chevy 350.
Dick.
And whats wrong with a Chevy 350??

Rather see that used than any "import" engine go into any big 3 vehicle!
Man, youve really got it out for any Chevs or GM stuff dont ya?

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

stefan,
very interesting. altho I have tried to be a purist, the world is changing fast, in ways I cannot predict. If you can get your car to run more efficiently (less pollution, etc) I say go for it. I remember hearing about a 59 Plymouth in India running with a Toyota diesel or something. Hey, soon, if we arent banned from dving our cars completely, maybe we will convert to ethanol, then biodiesel, then hydrogen...or whatever..
rogerh

engine swaps

Post by rogerh »

Stefan,
My car presently has a 361 salvaged from a 1961 Chrysler. If I could afford it, I would send this set-up to you and install the correct running gear into my car. I have a 1959 "361" in my garage, needing a total re-build. .............Sigh......
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote: I remember hearing about a 59 Plymouth in India running with a Toyota diesel or something.
You heard it here first! :o

http://59plymouth.net/showcase/ashram.html
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

You ask what's wrong with a Chevy 350? Really nothing. And by no means am I a purist, but I would opt for the Mopar 340 or 360 crate motor.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello,

Sure it was a fools story but I didn’t expect that it was so clear to you. On the other hand again, imagine you would life on a south Polynesian island with your car and need a constant supply of spare parts – What would you do?

Of course it would have had and grater impact if I would have threatened with and 350 Chevy small block, but despite being a moderate purist – Mopar, Ford or Chevy - I like them all.

But wait until next year: I will “nail” you a story on your foreheads! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Stefan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

sportfury1959 wrote:Hello,

Sure it was a fools story but I didn’t expect that it was so clear to you. On the other hand again, imagine you would life on a south Polynesian island with your car and need a constant supply of spare parts – What would you do?
Well, it ain't Fiji -- but how 'bout Cuba? Looks like this young lad is waiting on some spare parts... :lol:

Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Somewhere on here theres a story and pics about a 59 plymouth in India that has a Nissan diesel in it, anyone remember that??
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Nighthawk wrote:Somewhere on here theres a story and pics about a 59 plymouth in India that has a Nissan diesel in it, anyone remember that??
Is there an echo in here? :P :P :P

Read further up in this thread, Bob...

http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopi ... =4460#4460
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

lol duh, mustve missed that when i got the topic reply in email :oops:

Bob
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Thank You Dan,

this young lady makes my spare part problem simply disappear.

OK, I admit that the spare part question is relative.

Stefan