Re-anodizing parts

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Oldschoolcarguy

Re-anodizing parts

Post by Oldschoolcarguy »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a company to re-anodize some parts - mainly the sport deck "hubcap" for the trunk. All of the places I've contacted via the internet only do commercial stuff. Can anyone recommend a company?

Thanks
Ernie D

"Oldschool is cool"
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
rogerh

Re: Re-anodizing parts

Post by rogerh »

This is particularly cogent becasue Vic Barone in Australia needs all sorts of stuff re-anodized, and the prices quoted him are outrageous. Ron Keij of the Netherlands had great success in his country getting all of his stuff re-coated for really cheap.
Thus, perhaps we need to group our efforts and coordinate with Ron to make something happen.
Ron is in Philadelphia right now (July 4), preparing to go to Carlisle on the 9th.
Last edited by rogerh on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forward Look Frank

Post by Forward Look Frank »

Try Ano-Brite in CA. I had them do all of my aluminum anodizing for my Fury. It was about 8 or so years ago but for example, my grille was disassembled, polished, anodized, and put back together with new rivets for $500. The rest of the parts were much less expensive. I beleive my total bill for the grille, sport deck, sill plates, headlight covers, sportone, grille ends, plymouth gold emblems (sport deck and grill) and flash chroming my hubcaps was $1100 total. Excellent work too. Not sure if there still doing the jobs but here's their info.

ANO-BRITE INC
Address: 6945 FARMDALE AVE, NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA 91605-6211 | view map
Telephone: (818) 982-0997

Hope this helps.

-Frank
Forward Look Frank Worsham
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

I guess my question would be "does the sport deck "hub cap" finish come out looking exactly like the original factory finish"?
I saw one a few years ago that was refinished and it looked like it was powder coated. I think it was probably done by a local body shop though and not a "real" recoating shop.
Forward Look Frank

Post by Forward Look Frank »

Yes it will. 100% Stock.
Forward Look Frank Worsham
Oldschoolcarguy

Thanks Frank,
I dialed the number several times but couldn't get an answer.
Meanwhile, I got a couple of leads for local shops from some car guys at my Saturday night cruise in spot here in Orlando. I'm getting over the phone estimates of $250 - $350 to have the sport deck hub cap re-done. What do you guys think of this price?

Ernie D

"Oldschool is cool"
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

I think it is very expensive as I had all parts on my car re-anodized for € 200 (about $250) and that included the grille, all SF inserts, sill plates, sport deck, headlight rings and some small parts.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I still think Ron Keij's lead needs more investigation.
Oldschoolcarguy

Yeah I thought it seemed awefully high too.

Ron, How long ago did you have yours done? Is the company still in business? I'm going to continue calling around. I'll let you know what I find.

Ernie D

"Oldschool is cool"
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Ernie,

My parts were done in 2009 and the company is still in business as far as I know. They did a wonderful job and if the metal is still in good shape they will do that again. For you guys in the US the shipping might be a bit expensive but I do have a good address for shiipping stuff in a container from Texas (sea freight). I will have to find out how to avoid import duties here though. Shipping it back will be more expensive than shiiping it here as I know nobody who sends containers to the US but maybe there are people on the forum who have a solution for that.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

when I sold my Fury Junior to a man in Sweden, I contacted Stig Molteborg (sp?) who every so often ships containers of cars and parts to Norway. At the time I needed to ship, he was unavoidably detained due to a missing title to one of the cars he wanted to ship. I fell out of contact with him. He was pretty good on price, I thought. This was also during the time when there were no containers here in the US, because no Americans were importing anything.
Oldschoolcarguy

I brought my deck lid hubcap to Detroit with me for the Woodward Dream Cruise. A friend of mine is in the polishing business and used a commercial buffing wheel on the piece. It removed the anodizing and gave the aluminum a high polish. It does still have some very minor swirl marks but overall looks stunning. I put a couple of coats of wax on it in hopes of retaining the shine. I was hoping to get the piece re-anodized but for now, I am very happy with the results - and hey, it was a freebee! :D

I would still like to get my headlight rings re-done if anyone comes up with a cost effective solution. So far, no one in Florida is panning out as affordable.
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
big m

Post by big m »

I believe that Ano-brite was bought out by another company, King of trim. You may want to look them up on the net.

---John
In rust we trust!
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Oldschoolguy - Just noticed on the rear of your car the Sport Fury script. This has probably been discussed before but I might have missed it.
Anyway, you must have bought this car from George Dalinas. I first noticed this car in "The Plymouth Bulletin" No 199.
I put a Sport Fury script on the rear of my car too, but it is on the trunk lid on the right side. There was already 2 holes there, probably from a dealer logo, so I used one of these holes for the script and the other one is covered by it.
I got the idea from George's (your) car.
I figured if a Plymouth Owners Club 1959 Technical Advisor can do it, so can I :D
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - If you are listening will you look at my post on Tech support - Air Cond. Thermostat Switch and see if you can help me out.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.