Dash mirror replacement

Got a question? This is the place to ask
aussie59plymouth

Dash mirror replacement

Post by aussie59plymouth »

Hi all again. Has anybody replaced there dash mirror glass. I am about to paint the housing. The mirror really needs replacing as it has a few marks on it. Just wondering how to remove it without too much butchering. Thanks Dean.
rogerh

Re: Dash mirror replacement

Post by rogerh »

If you have a Day-Night mirror, the glass is prismatic and not easy to find.
If you DO have the prismatic glass, you can have it re-silvered. You just gotta get the glass out in one piece. I will investigate my collection and see if I can get an answer to you.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

rogerh wrote:If you have a Day-Night mirror, the glass is prismatic and not easy to find.
If you DO have the prismatic glass, you can have it re-silvered. You just gotta get the glass out in one piece. I will investigate my collection and see if I can get an answer to you.
I have a mirror-matic and took the glass out last week. I asked about resilvering it bit I was told it was impossible by a couple of shops :x
They can get me a new glass for about $20 and it will be delivered to me tomorrow. I need to make the hole in the silver myself to get the mirror working again.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I don't have the definitve answer, just these observations:
I have a Autronic Eye mirror (glass only), and there are signs of glue right in the center of the back.
I have a prismatic glass (needs re-silvering), and there are no signs of glue on glass.
I have a DayNight mirror housing (no glass) and there are no signs of glue on the housing.
It appears someone carefully pried up on the rolled edging to release the glass.

As I recall, the Autronic glass is glued to the mechanism which tilts the GLASS.
The Day Night pivots on its balljoint, the glass is permanent, as is the basic rearview mirror...installed at factory by rolling over the edges of the housing (like a tin can).
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

PICT0002.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Interesting, Ron. Years ago when I went to a glass shop, they said PRISMATIC GLASS?? can't get it...
Likewise, they said re-silvering is not uncommon.
So how did you get your Autronic glass (the glued-in kind) out?
aussie59plymouth

Thanks for all your help. I need to find some prismatic glass because it is a day night mirror. Mine is broken now so I may have to settle for standard. I have learnt somthing new. Cheers Deano.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

In my opinion, we need to hear more from Ron Keij, when he recieves his NEW prismatic mirror tomorrow!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I believe the Autronic Eye mirror glass comes out by simple disassembly of the entier housing...in other words, no metal needs to be pried or bent. Ya still gotta deal with the glue!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Ron,

This was my old post regarding re-silvering mirrors. It appears it can be done by this company. Maybe you will be happy with your new glass and can sell your old glass to Deano to be re-silvered?

I did a fast search on Google for mirror restoration and found that Bear Glass in NY restores (Re-silvers) day/night mirrors as long as the front glass has not been destroyed by cleansers. My guess is $50 but I did not call.

Their FAQ states:

15.Can you resilver auto rear view mirrors?
We resilver car mirrors. Day/night mirrors will retain their day/night function. Remember to remove the mirror from it's holder. We want only the piece of glass.
Bear Glass
399 20th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(718) 832-3604 phone (718) 832-0786 Fax
Sales@BearGlass.com
or you may still contact Robinsons Antiques with questions

Robinsons Antiques
763 West Bippley Road
Lake Odessa, MI 48849
(616) 374-7750 phone
Robinsons Antiques
Open 24/7 on the web
Mon-Fri 5 AM- 10 PM, Sat & Sun 8 AM - 4 PM

I would still guess you may find a cheaper whole mirror perhaps from Roger? I bet getting the mirror separated from the holder is a tricky proposition.
Curt in Ellicott City MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
aussie59plymouth

Hi,
I sorted my mirror problem. I smashed the old mirror out. Went to the wreckers and got another revision mirror with a prismatic glass in it $5. Took it to the glass cutters and got it cut to size for $10. now the housing is at the painters before I assemble and fit the glass. Perfect thanks for your help. Deano
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

a sensible low-cost solution!