alternator conversion on 59 Fury

Got a question? This is the place to ask
skyhawk61

alternator conversion on 59 Fury

Post by skyhawk61 »

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of getting my 59 Fury back on the road. I swapped the 318 and cast iron Torqueflite for a 68 383 and '63 vintage 727. I've switched over to a '65 Mopar alternator and correct regulator, along with adding A/C. I want to keep my generator warning lamp if possible.I did a search on this site and others, but can[t find any reference as to how to wire the circuit and keep the warning light. If someone has done this type of Mopar generator to alternator swap on a 59 Mopar, I could use some help with a wiring diagram. Thanks for your help. Dennis (Here's the Fury as of Feb. 17, 2015.)
0204151530-00.jpg
bilspasser

Re: alternator conversion on 59 Fury

Post by bilspasser »

-This is a common problem when converting from generator to alternator on old Mopars....

The new (electronic) regulator doesn't have any terminal to connect to the "idiot light"..

I have solved this problem by connecting a new "voltage sensing relay", that simply measures the battery voltage, and turn on the light if too low....

-You could buy a "voltage sensing relay" (used in some boats, etc..), but they are pretty expensive, so I've made one myself...:

I took a common 12V relay , with 5 terminal, which means that it has both "Normal Closed =NC" and "Normal Off=NO" function.

Now, we want the light to be on when the battery voltage is under 12V, which shows the condition when NOT charging, so we put the idiot light to the connection: "NC" on the relay..., and the "Common=C" to Ground (Chassis)

-To get the relay to "Cut in" at around 14V, which means that the alternator is charging, we have to put in a Zener-diode in series with the realy coil....-the value of this Zenerdiode depends on the specific relay(coil resistance, etc.) and will have to be determined by "trial & error"...

-In my case, I ended up with 2 pcs 5.6 V Zenerdiode in series with the relay coil to get the wanted cutin voltage of 14 V...
(I did a mild bend also (inside relay) on the NC terminal towards the coil, to get a shorter way for relay-arm to travel..-this seemed to give a better cutin/cutout response...)

Regards,Stig
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

This is great! Is it possible that you might post a sketch of the wiring diagram that shows how you did all of this? Thanks!! Dennis
bilspasser

Post by bilspasser »

Hi Dennis.

-I've tried to make a sketch for you....-please see attached picture..

-Instead of the "trial&error" procedure, you could also take the specific relay, and test the cutin/cutout voltages, by using a adjustable power supply....

-this way it is also easier to bend the "NC" (87A) terminal, so a "hysteresis" (difference between the cutin and the cutout voltages) is obtained...

-It might sound a little confusing, but the bottom line is, that we want a relay that cuts in at around 14V, and cuts out again at around 12 V...-which gives us a hysteresis of around 2 V..., so bend the NC terminal (if needed..) untill a difference in cut in and cut out is around 2 V.
Once this is done, then read the voltage at cut in....e.g. : 4 V

-We want the relay to cut in at 14 V, so by simple math we have to "subtract" 10 V...-so a 10 V Zener should be used for this relay....

-Good luck :-)

Regards, Stig Hansen,Denmark
Mopar alternator warninglight relay.jpg
skyhawk61

Post by skyhawk61 »

Thank you! I'm going to build one of these and see if I can't get my original light to work. Dennis