engine question

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Moparluversince1964

engine question

Post by Moparluversince1964 »

Not much info found yet, but most engines in 59s are red, or red/gold, mine is blue. just wondering why?
I think its a 318 poly?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Actually, I believe that silver is the correct color for a 318's block (I think '58 was red) -- and that the valve covers are red. Is that right, Matthew?

You can tell a 318 by the fact that the distributor is in the rear, and the valve covers are "scalloped" on the bottom edge...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Mine was red when I bought it. Later I found out that under the red was blue. When I pulled the 318 engine there was the blue colour between the bell housing and the engine block. That gives me a strong indication that the original colour of MY engine was blue. It’s most unlikely that anyone pulled the engine before I did it, but of course who can say that for sure. Maybe the colour changed from plant to plant?

Stefan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Check your block numbers first of all....
Moparluversince1964

Tranny question

I see that alot of overdrive bolt ons for 3 speed automatics are available for chevys n fords, but does anyone make one for mopars??
OR, is there a overdrive tranny that will still work with the 59 push buttons.
OR, has anyone invented something, I have some ideas floating, but will research more n rehash 3 ideas i have into a viable one, Thanks
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Mopar made overdrives for their manual transmissions in 59, but that is all. There was no overdrive for Torqueflites. What is it you feel you are lacking with 3-spd Torqueflite? My 2000 Dodge Dakota 4WD has four forward speeds..is that what you want? I must admit, my 59 Plymouth w/ 3-spd Torqueflite does seem to scream at hiway speeds...
Moparluversince1964

want overdrive for milage

When this suburan is fished it will be our everyday family driver. I have 4 children, and with 6 of us our options are mini van, or megga tank SUV.
So...If i have to own a family car it should have style, but, I would like overdrive for vacations n such. Less wear n tear on car n better fuel econo.
That's why I would like to have OD in the wagoon