A dream realized!

Your banter here!
Faulkner

A dream realized!

Post by Faulkner »

It's looks like my garage is going to happen! First I submitted a site plan, which I knew would be rejected; the property wasn't zoned for it. So I sought approval from my neighbors and my local civic association, showing plans, making revisions they requested, etc. Then I went before the zoning board, and made an appeal, which was granted. Then I sought contractors, who made suggestions about construction, with revisions to the drawings... Next I went for a building permit, which generated additional questions, and further revisions to the drawings, with a resubmission... This process has taken months!

...just now I got word: The building permit has been granted! As soon as I get the contractor lined up, construction can start.

I'm a happy man today! Next year, Matthew can work on Faulkner, rain or shine! :D :D :D :D :D

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Will the garage be big enough for a bed next to Faulkner or is Matthew going to sleep in the back seat?

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

A pile of pillows in the trunk will do it – I guess!

(This is just an unqualified comment of an guest member)
8)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

There will be plenty of room for a cot! Actually, with the garage just through the kitchen door, I guess I better start stocking the frig with Coke and the fixings for Hollandse gehaktschotel :o

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

way to go. Dan!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Pizza and those sandwiches you make will do! :wink:
Can't wait to see the garage
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Congratulation Dan - Let's hope for a mild winter - you don't want Matthew catching a cold in that garage.

Do the plans call for a loft living area with heat???

I really think finding a good contractor these days is rare - I wish you luck. I sure hope you know someone, our builders here are demanding a fortune for additions and garages.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
big m

Post by big m »

Thats some great news, Dan! It can be a real bugger to get permits these days. ---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

A dream resurrected...

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:...because the inspector had questions which had to be answered before he'd approve the drawings -- my contractor started another job. Now, he's tied up until December.

And December, in all likelihood, is too cold to pour concrete. He says, it looks like March now...
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings! I found another contractor, $700 more than the first, says he can start in two weeks... If the weather holds, maybe I'll get my garage after all this winter. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Dan
Last edited by Faulkner on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

yes, construction is rife with troubles and set-backs. We had a concrete strike here in the Pac NW a few months ago..then the cost of copper, steel and energy has all skyrocketed..I understand lumber prices are softening..
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

two weeks have passed, Dan, do you have a contractor digging up your backyard?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:two weeks have passed, Dan, do you have a contractor digging up your backyard?
(*sigh*) no, Roger -- I do have another contractor, and he gave me a "reference" -- a block garage he had recently built; but I wasn't impressed with the construction, or the fact that he hasn't given me real references. And the original guy I had signed up, declines both voicemail and email communications...

Anything now, will be hurry up. I'm resigned to the fact that I am going to have to wait until the spring now. But, I also have to get a permit extension -- it expires early May. And I don't know who is going to build the d*mn thing now.

Unless John Fowlie is going to sign up :wink:

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

:? i didint know John was a builder..
so where will Faulkner spend the winter, back to the storage unit?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote: so where will Faulkner spend the winter, back to the storage unit?
still in the storage unit...
big m

Post by big m »

rogerh wrote::? i didint know John was a builder..
so where will Faulkner spend the winter, back to the storage unit?
My father was an architect and builder in his younger days, but it was something I never picked up. I did learn a bit from him, as when I was younger, I would help him when it was needed.
Dan, is there a building boom going on where you live, or is it just getting difficult to find a contractor whom is not already involved in a project? ---John
In rust we trust!