Getting rear window out of SF hardtop: It's a real "pan

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Getting rear window out of SF hardtop: It's a real "pan

Post by Faulkner »

I thought I'd start disassembling today, to prepare for the installation of weatherstripping -- gotta take the back apart anyway, the driver's side rear window motor is frozen. (More about that later.) So I very carefully follow the instructions on page 49 of the service supplement:
remove front run channel to lower stop attaching bolt... Got it.
remove two bolts attaching lower stop bracket... piece 'o cake.
remove upper window stop bracket on window lower channel...child's play.
remove front run channel upper attaching stud... (*yawn*)
run glass all the way down, disengage lower nylon bushing...fershur.
remove front run channel by pulling straight up...uh-huh.
disengage nylon roller from center run channel. Whaaa?!!

How?! When I run the window all the way down, the roller is no where near the end of channel travel...

Here's a bigger pic: http://59sportfury.net/59forum/pix/window.jpg

If I try to wiggle it towards the end, the upper corner of the window gets wedged against the front. If I put it up top... Well, no way.

I just don't see how to get this sucka outtathere. And I was doing so good! Whassup? Phrantic in Philly, Dan
mopar steve

take it to the pros

Post by mopar steve »

i know were all mech inclined, but if were really stuck, just getting the window out of the channel, take it to a glass shop. shouldnt take too long, and bring the manual with you. good luck dan!!! :)

steve
rogerh

qtr window removal

Post by rogerh »

i never perfected a method of their removal...and of course now i cant recall how I got them out.
Does the arm with nylon roller simply pull away from the channel (probably not) or maybe there is a notch in the sides of the track at a particular place, so that one can line the roller up at that notch and then physically pull the arm and roller out of the track? I seem to recall you cannot go all the way to either end. I may have a track around I could look at...
Roger
Faulkner

couldn't find a notch

Post by Faulkner »

I looked for a notch yesterday, but couldn't find one... Maybe it does pop out. Maybe I have to break it, in order to find out the right way...

It just seems so odd to me. The manual was very explicit up to that point, and just says "disengage nylon roller from center run channel". They might as well have said, "invent nuclear fusion..."

Dan
rogerh

qtr window removal

Post by rogerh »

my boss is the same way...here, trim out the exterior of this house, I am providing you the exact number of boards in the exact length, minus one.
We can't get any more, because it is custom-milled, so son't make ANY mistakes (why won't he order a few more than minimum?)
I would have thought one of the list who is in the process of restoring their car would step up and help you out...
I've been selling some SsssssssssF items on Ebay and to every winner I am suggesting they check out www.59sportfury.com...that's the correct address, I hope?
roger
Faulkner

www.59sportfury.net

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:...and to every winner I am suggesting they check out www.59sportfury.com... that's the correct address, I hope?
roger
right up to the .com -- it's actually .net! And they can leave off the "www" too...

http://59sportfury.net

Thanks, Roger!

Dan
Faulkner

rear window, revisited

Post by Faulkner »

OK, I'm off today. I gave up on trying to get the roller out of the channel without removing the regulator. The regulator removed quite easily, and the roller quickly slid out of the channel. Alright!

Now, to remove the window itself. The manual says the window should be all the way up, and slid forward as far as possible to remove the rear roller from the channel. Well, I'm doing that -- but, it's not far forward enough! I still don't have enough wiggle room to remove the window.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to do this?

Here's another question: I have replacement weatherstripping. Should I remove the old rubber stuff above (might that help pull the window?), replace the catwhisker weatherstripping, put the window back, and then replace the upper rubber?

It doesn't seem that there's any easy way to do this. If anyone's interested in chatting about it at 11:00am EDT, I'll meet you in the Exner room...

Dan
Faulkner

IT'S OUT!!!

Post by Faulkner »

The old, upper weatherstripping pulled right out of the channel. Then I was able to pull the window right out. Hmmm... I wonder if the stuff I bought from Bernbaums, will lock in that channel the same way, without glue. If I ever have to take the back apart again, it will be an important consideration. What do you think? Glue, or no?

Dan
Faulkner

No glue

Post by Faulkner »

It's obvious: The stuff from Bernbaum locks onto the channel. In fact, the channel is removable. In fact, I can see now that the channel must be removed when I go to take the upper stainless trim off for polishing (and, the interior upper rail for rechroming). So that's what it's all about...

The book says nothing about removing the regulator, or the upper weatherstripping channel, in order to get the rear window out. But, I don't see how one could do it otherwise.

Dan