Deluxe steering wheel sparkles? + vendors (last gasp)

Got a question? This is the place to ask
hawkeye999

Deluxe steering wheel sparkles? + vendors (last gasp)

Post by hawkeye999 »

First question: did the original deluxe steering wheels have sparkles in the resin?

Second question: Not being a very smart guy, I started with one of these steering wheels/horn rings that needs restored, and in my travels over the last few months have now ended up with three (and need to have at least two of them restored). I know from my friends at the forum that Koch's was highly recommended for providing a quality restoration at a reasonable price, but they told me that they just don't do this particular model any more. The only others I have found able to do the job are Quality Restorations or D&D Automobilia, both of whom want $1,200. I’m trying to figure out a way to make these presentable within a limited budget and still stay within technical requirements for the restoration and I'm hoping somebody knows a different restoration vendor. Barring that, I have asked D&D if they might be able to just recast the clear portion of the wheels that cover the outer chrome ring (no real need to re-chrome those rings or do anything with the horn ring/pad; and the rest of the plastic is in good enough shape for me to repair).

Thanks,

Jim
big m

Re: Deluxe steering wheel sparkles? + vendors (last gasp)

Post by big m »

Hi Jim,

The outer ring was clear, sparkles were not added until the following year.

Sorry to hear that Koch's no longer does the '59 deluxe wheels, as they did a good job at an economical price. If I hear of someone else doing them, I'll post the info up.

---John
In rust we trust!
hawkeye999

Re: Deluxe steering wheel sparkles? + vendors (last gasp)

Post by hawkeye999 »

Thanks John. I just got an email from Koch's and they said they don't have the mold, so being the persistent cuss that I am, I asked if they would mind telling me where it went........