Electrical Problems

Got a question? This is the place to ask
jaydogg

Electrical Problems

Post by jaydogg »

Hi Everyone
Hope the post turkey coma has worn off.

So I got my 59 Suburban this summer...Here is were things are:
Brakes done...front disc and new 2 pot master brake cylinder.
Brake lines leaking ....but almost done
Gas tank started leaking when getting the rear wheels off....so Gas tank welded and inside coated.
Fuel sending unit totally shot and rusted so had it rebuilt....
New rubber for fuel line........Car would not start...so
New fuel pump....Car starts first time no sweat :D

The latest problem however is electrical....no lights, no turn signals, no wipers....the horn works :(
Ideas anyone? Where do I start? :?:
By the way it is 318 with 2 barrel no ac
Thanks
Jay
J
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Electrical Problems

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

The Headlight switch is where some of those electrical lines lead to. At least the headlights and front and rear park/running lights. Proper grounding of the switch is needed too. But being installed in the dash frame should accomplish that. Switch can be bad but they are available on E Bay or even at your local parts store, (NAPA, Pep Boys etc)

PS, to remove the switch form the dash your have to reach around under the dash and depress a metal button that is on top of the switch that will allow the headlight shaft to come out of the housing. This has to be done before the bezel can be unscrewed off from the switch itself.

Horns can be the contact ring at the steering wheel is corroded,or as many of our cars have over time, the horns just don't work! Lots of dust, mud and insect critters climb into the horns to foul them up. You can try any back up horn you or a car buddy friend might have (12 volt version) place it against the radiator support for grounding and have a friend hit the horn. That being said running a separate two wire leads from the battery will make the horn sound if that is the issue. A battery charger leads work well too! Spraying electrical solvent in the horn cavity has worked on occasion. They can be taken apart for cleaning.

Turn signals can be a bad switch in the steering column. That would mean taking off the steering wheel and hitting the area of the switch with a electronic spray contact solvent will some times un-gook the area. Otherwise it is a bad switch. New switch are available on E- Bay.

Wipers can be a bad switch or motor, Make sure that there is a power lead connected to the switch. Wiper switches have a 20 amp Circuit Breaker on then. Check that out or temporarily by-pass the CB and see if the wipers will then work, then it is the CB for sure. Do you have a single speed or variable speed wiper set up? Just make sure you get the right switch if you do have to replace it. Also, an E bay item that comes up a lot.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

John has it right. You should first check your headlight switch. They are prone to corrosion when left un-used for a long time. problems with headlights alone might be the fault of the floor switch, which also gets messed up with corrosion, road salt from boots, and simple wire abrasion from repeated shoe rubbing.
If you need more assistance, please post.
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

Thanks Guys i appreciate the input.
I have been going over the wiring diagram for the suburban and peeked under the dash today...things look corroded :x
Will start this later this week....Brakes driving me nuts...line from the new mc to the rear axle 2 in too short....time to go to the store.
I will keep you up to date on how it goes and pictures as I get them
J
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

J - It's best to sand & clean all contacts as best you can and coat with dialectic electrical grease to help prevent and further corrosion and to assure a good connection. Including bulbs and sockets.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Jay, let us know how things progress and what was the answer to all your questions. Then we can give the next Forum member what we thought of and what you came up with in your issues.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

Ok
So replaced the light switch. Got it on eBay .
Getting the old switch out was a problem. The rod for the switch wouldn't come out even with pressing the pin on top.....so took off the knob by unscrewing the hex screw, then got the unit unwired and used some break free on the rod. It was rusted in the center and stuck good so used a bench vice and got it free.
Hooked up the new unit an have front parking lights and rear lights but no head lights. :x
So....will test each light and replace the high beam switch as the next step.

Will let you know how it goes
big m

Post by big m »

Your dimmer switch on the floorboard may have corrosion issues. Try clicking it back and forth to see if you get any headlights.

---John
In rust we trust!
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

So replaced the floor dimmer switch....no lights.
Checked for power to the headlights at the light plug in....none
So...started to check the new light switch out and started to move it around and got a flash of green instrument panel light.
Wiggled all the connections and found the yellow wire on the switch was almost broken off. By moving it the right way I get all the lights working.....still no turn signals but that is next after I fix the yellow wire. 8)
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.
Tomorrow the wire and try to get the turn signals working.....then the brake lines...again
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jaydogg - It sounds to me like you are on the right track, Most of the stuff I fix is by accident or I haven't the slightest idea what I did to fix it. Don't stop now!!!
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

Dick Koch wrote:Jaydogg - It sounds to me like you are on the right track, Most of the stuff I fix is by accident or I haven't the slightest idea what I did to fix it. Don't stop now!!!
Dick.
Thanks Dick
That seems to be the general concensus with me and my old cars...play with it enough and replace enough parts and eventually it starts to run. :)
rankinrr

Post by rankinrr »

Yup, my dimmer gives me grief, but gettin better the more I play, Oh I mean work on it. Mine sat 30 years.
jaydogg

Post by jaydogg »

rankinrr wrote:Yup, my dimmer gives me grief, but gettin better the more I play, Oh I mean work on it. Mine sat 30 years.
Yeah all the lights work now...except the instrument gauge lights went out...Definately a short somewhere
Next step after work today is the wiper switch ...manual tell you how to test it so will see if it is bad or the motor is
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Sat for 30 years...wow. If the wires have gotten brittle, you will be chasing electrical problems forever. The classic Englishman of olden times (the 1950-1960's) expected to tinker and fiddle with their cars...if you do it as a past-time!
New wiring harnesses, full or partial, are available for the '59 Plymouth. Maybe something to consider/save up for.
Nothing worse than a dash or under-hood fire! :(
Denver 59 Fin Convert

rankinrr wrote:Yup, my dimmer gives me grief, but gettin better the more I play, Oh I mean work on it. Mine sat 30 years.

Squirt Electronic solvent spray on the metal sliding part of the dimmer switch. May have to take it off the floor boards but undoing the bolt screws to get to the sliding part of the switch. The work it up and down to get it loosen up a bit and into the contact area. Worked for me.

Instrument panel lights could be the power to them came off the Headlight switch terminal, check that.

Brittle wires like Roger stated, will be an ongoing issue, make sure you have a fire extinguisher on board.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)