Front suspension rebuild

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Guy

Front suspension rebuild

Post by Guy »

Now the engine is out of the Fury we can get a better look at some of the suspension components and things are looking worn. I've had the car over 10 years and nothing has been replaced in that time. I figured that now is as good a time as ever to sort it. I 've read recent topics concerning front end kits and the advice regarding Raybestos from "rickymopar". My question to all the experienced Fury types - is there anything in particular that I should be looking for ? Living in the UK means, if possible, I'd like to get the parts shipped in one go. The only thing I had noticed was that the suspension squeaks when going over uneven ground (torsion bars ?). Many thanks Guy
rogerh

Re: Front suspension rebuild

Post by rogerh »

Well, it's not the torsion bars themselves that can squeak, but the many and varied bushings of the suspension. Do you have a Shop Manual?
There are steering bushings and then there are suspension bushings. Take your car to a qualified repair shop where it can be put on a lift, then you and the mechanic can identify which parts are worn out.
Typically the steering parts wear out first. Idler arms, upper and lower control arm bushings, center links. As i recall there is no way to lubricate these parts, so they wear out. Planned obsolescence! Okay, just looked at the parts Book, steering parts ARE greaseable! :oops:
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Visual inspection of the bushings can help to eliminate suspect parts, bushing with missing rubber and off center should be replaced anyway. The early ball joints did require a good chassis lube grease. I have found ball joints to be good and tight and just needed good lube to eliminate squeeking/popping noises
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Maybe it was the steering components which didn't come with grease nipples... I can't remember. I didn't spend much time under my car, greasing any connections, as Matthew will testify! :lol:
Going from memory, the front suspension involves torsion bars which dampen the motion of the "A" arms. The "A" arms are connected to the frame with upper and lower bushings. The upper bushings usually wear out first. There may be grease fittings at these points.
Guy

Post by Guy »

The car is already in the garage (repair shop). I'll call in tomorrow and go through the ball joints/bushings with the mechanic. Just didn't want to miss anything if the 59 had any known problem areas withing the steering/suspension. Thanks for the feedback.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

According to the Parts Book, the upper and lower balljoints have grease fittings. Everything else is rubber bushings.
Lift the front end so the front tires clear the ground, then grab the top of the tires one at a time and try to shake them. There should be no wiggle.
Each torsion bar connects to lower control arm with a bushing, these can squeak.
I don't know of any particular weak point in suspension. Just check everything.
I ordered balljoints and more using Andy Bernbaum's catalog. I kept the parts on the shelf for over a year, until I was ready to use them. It was only then that I discovered I had the wrong balljoints...there are screw-in balljoints and press-in ones.
My car had to stay on the lift for a few more days until my mechanic found the correct ones. Of course I couldn't return the wrong ones to Bernbaum because too much time had elapsed! I finally sold them for a fraction of my cost.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Sound advice, thanks Roger. Interesting point about the ball joints. I'll pay particular attention when inspecting the car.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

PS, you need a special socket (Snap on. Matcco etc.)for the ball joint for removal and re-installing! It has a squared side and a round side on the interior of the socket to fit over the top of the ball joint to screw it on the Upper control arm,

I bought mine on ebay for around $40 dollars. I will check to see if these still for sale.

Here they are!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-ball-join ... ls&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-ball-join ... ls&vxp=mtr

I have to see which size is for our 59's. I bought both of them previously since I have a later B and E body Mopar that the larger one would work on.

Back in a few...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You are totally right there, John! He needs to 1) determine IF he needs balljoints, 2) determine WHICH kind he has, and if necessary, 3) locate the appropriate socket tool for removal/installation. Since he is in England, he needs to get this right the first time, or risk a massive headache! If he determines he needs upper and lower balljoints, is that socket required to deal with both upper and lower?
As I recall, my car needed the screw-in type. How about yours, John?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger (and Guy) I checked and it is the smaller of the two ball joint sockets 1.915" you need. Both upper and lower ball joints are screwed in and use the same socket.

I had to pre-heat the old ball joints thread area on the upper and lower control arms with a propane torch and then hit it wih penetrating oil, Let sit over night and then re-heat again, hit with pentrating oil the second time...And then took a large breaker bar and gave a big tug.

Slowly the started to unscew. If you have a impact gun this will help too. My compressor is to small to unscrew it due to the rust adhesions but was fine screwing back in the new ones with no rust on the the thread area. Use some machine oil on the threads when re-installing. As long as you have the upper control arm off, press in new upper bushings.

On my lowers, they visually checked fine so I did not back off the Torsion Bar to take them off to press in a new LCA bushing. Probably should have but I get lazy late at night...

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Great report, John, you have covered all the important details!
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I thought I might add some trade secrets to this portion of 'ball joint removal from the control arms.' By all means use a good penetrating oil, when heating with moderation add a little Bee's wax. When cooling the wax will be pulled into the threaded portion, making the removal alot easier, less likely to gall. Adding a little Anti-seize to the threaded portion before installation can really help, especially if you cross thread accidentally and require a new restart.
Guy

Post by Guy »

All good advice and gratefully received. Got the shopping list together and I can't get it all from Rock Auto. Would really like to buy from one source to keep shipping costs down.I need tie rods (inner and outer). Any recommendations based on personal experience ?
Big Jimbo

Post by Big Jimbo »

One other note on the ball joints..if you are going to remove your A arms for bushings, be sure to remove your ball joints before you remove the A arms! There would be no way to hold the A-arms with the massive torque it takes to remove the old ball joints! I had to use a big 3/4" breaker bar on mine and pull for all I was worth. Make sure you wear big gloves and have nothing sharp behind you in case the socket slips. That happened to me and fortunately I didn't get hurt. If you are up for it, and you already have the engine out, I would replace all the ball joints and all the A arm rubber bushings and be done with it even if it costs an extra $100 or so for ball joints. The labor is the killer and you sure don't want to take it apart twice! I did my entire front end and it is a pleasure to drive. I even had it up to 110 mph at a local track and I am still here to talk about it :)
59 Belvedere
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Guy - www.kanter.com will probably have it all in a kit. Make sure you get thier catalog.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.