Whistling Plymouth

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Fins59

Whistling Plymouth

Post by Fins59 »

Last week while driving back 50 miles from a car show my SF (engine) started whistling, only when de-accelerating or at idle. Got home and did a quick visual check. Didn't see any vacuum hoses disconnected. Next day started her up for a minute and no whistling. Figured I'd have to drive it a ways for a good test so yesterday, drove her a good 50 miles. No whistling, ran good. You'd think a vacuum leak just wouldn't go away by itself. :?:
savvy59

Re: Whistling Plymouth

Post by savvy59 »

On the other hand - vaccum lines are cheap! If you are like me - I say they should not be leaking - I just changed them, and it turns out to be they were changed 10 or more years ago! That happened in 2008 Carisle when my chrome Holley fuel pump quit. I thought it was rather new but soon realized it was installed in 1996 :oops: Of course the Netherlands group came to my rescue and installed a stock 318 pump in 94 degree heat.
Good luck searching and replacing - I am certain you will find the culprit!

Just my 2 Cents.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
big m

Post by big m »

I would also check vacuum lines first. If you have power brakes, the large vacuum hose can crack, only whistling at certain times. Had this happen before myself.

---John
In rust we trust!
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Thanks, guys. Never think of replacing vacuum lines. Mine have to be decades old. Kinda reminds me of lock washers. Take something apart and just naturally reuse the old lock washers. Had a tranny loosen up on me a few years back....I blame the reused lock washers.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Years ago I had a mysterious whistle, I traced to my vacuum operated brake booster control valve, on the pedal side. I sprayed it with an inexpensive penetrating oil,' Tri flo a Teflon infused light weight oil' the whistling ceased after the first application of the brakes. I also had a friend that had installed his carburetor gasket 180 out of the intended position. This took years to start whistling. After installing a new base gasket correctly for him he said 'The old Plymouth ran better than it had for years.' Imagine that.