Clogged Fuel sender-Chemical solution needed!

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Clogged Fuel sender-Chemical solution needed!

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Guys, I know I should just buy a new one but... There is a recession going on right now and it has visited my house a lot in the last year and half! LOL

I was going to install my gas tank tonight, just to clear up some space in the garage and thought I would check the tube for debris and thought I would just blast some air thru with with the air hose. Nothing. Blocked and or clogged with the old gas that has turned to petrified varnish.

Tried to push a cut off hanger thru the tube but there is that tight little curve where the hanger can't go. And that is after approaching from both ends of the sender tube with the hanger. The block is at those curves whre the gas had settled there.

Is there any chemical that can dissolve this had dried varnish? Months ago, I did soak it in mineral spirits but that was not strong enough evidently.

What do you guys think? Fuel injector cleaner? Laquer thinner? 12 Molar hydrochloric acid? Or just bite the bullet and get a new one off of E-Bay?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Re: Clogged Fuel sender-Chemical solution needed!

Post by rogerh »

off the top of my head, I'd vote for the lacquer thinner...mean stuff.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger, that would probably work. I will get a eye dropper or make up some tight funnel to pour some down the tube and let it settle for a day to see if that will disolve the block (hmmmm Drano might work too!) Lets try to the Laquer Thinner first.

If that does not work, I am open for other suggestions from the Gallery of 59 owners.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Just a thought but try cutting off a wire coat hanger, using the end that is wrapped around the other at the top and looks somewhat like a drill or fashion your own from mechanics wire, something flexible that will get passed the bend in the tube, chuck it in a variable speed drill motor and see if it will break the varnish loose and then soak it in the lacquer thinner. Home depot has long shank 1/8" drill bits that could be used, drilling from both ends.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

If nothing works, you can always buy one at Carlisle.

Think they are cheaper on Carlisle then on e-bay
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
big m

Post by big m »

I've cleaned a bunch of these, and found that either lacquer thinner, or Berryman's carburetor cleaner does the job best.

---John
In rust we trust!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think one or all of the suggestions will accomplish the unclogging. I was going to try the unclogging tonight but the transformer next door blew 9ground level one) and started a fire in the brush at the back of my yard and the neighbors yard. We put it out with garden hoses and was the talk of the street. Took them 3 hours to get power back on.

I leave (Fly) for Detroit tomorrow for a cousins wedding in Battle Creek, MI so another weekend shot! but I am back for a day next Monday before heading out to Carilsle tuesday night on the red eye to Philly land and Morton-ville. I would not call the weekend in Carlisle shot...errrrr.. more of tech training for 59's! :D

Hope to get the sender unclogged, but if not, then Matthew's suggestion may come into focus.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

just curious if STA-BIL would work since it works well in the gas tank?

Curt

Hope to make Carlisle - master cylider and caliper change being made tonight!
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Sta-bil was highly recommended at Ellensburg meet, for modern day gasoline issues. Don't know if (and I doubt) it dissolves varnish, however.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Methyl ethyl ketone... An enhanced hydro-carbon radical.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ricky, Radical eh? I am a conservative guy... Oh you mean he chemicals... I may have a small can of that. I will try the laquer thinner first and the then the MEK stuff.

In detroit right now for my cousins wedding. Went to the Tigers came in Downtown Detroit last night. Great game but lost my wallet and all my ID. Thrying to figure out how do fly back to Denver with no ID to prove I am no an old Irish Terrorist LOL Might have to have my wife make a copy of my Passport and fax it to me.

i can use that to go to Philly on Weds. I will have one day in Denver (Tuesday) to get my credit cards and Drivers license replaced in time for the Carlisle trip.

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Oldschoolcarguy

Post by Oldschoolcarguy »

I have found that GUMOUT carb cleaner disolves varnished gas pretty quickly. I have used it many times over the years on lawnmowers and motorcycles. It has never failed me. It comes in a spray can with a straw to attach to the spray nozzle so that you can shoot it in tight spots or down tubes. It also comes in a bottle so you could do the funnel idea previously posted. Sta-bil is an excellent product for keeping gas from varnishing but I have never used it for de-varnishing.
Good luck!

Ernie D

"Oldschool is cool"
"Oldschool is cool"

Ernie D.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Just an update. I got some of the vanish buildup out by dropping Laquer thinner down both ends (different times) with an eye dropper this weekend and now it flows or passes thru a little. I did get a flexible woven drill shaft down both ends to help clear the blockage. Or at least partially clear. I will try the M.E.K and the Gum Out too! The 90 degree bends are tough for the shaft to navigate. Gum out in a pressurised can with a spray nozzle stray should be better then the eyedropper method.

I have not tried the Sta-Bil yet, I know it prevents the gas from turning sour or to varnish but as a quick dissovler...who knows. Still not clear enough on the blockage to install in the tank yet till all black residue disappears. Then I will feel confident about it to deliver the fuel to my thirsty 413RB. (Super-Super Golden Commando!) :roll:

Thanks to all for their ideas on who to clear the blockage in the sending unit tube! It was all very helpful. :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)