glass fuel filter

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

glass fuel filter

Post by rogerh »

How many of you have glass fuel filters installed in their cars?
My car needs lots of cranking to start, after sitting awhile.
A friend told me that he believes the fuel that remains in his glass fule filter is enough to start his car and get the fuel pumping.
I do not have a glass fuel filter installed. I do have two available (need cleaning). I would like to hear from you all on this. Is it worth my effort to switch out the modern metal-clad fuel filter for a glass one?
(I've heard that fuel drainback is due to a faulty carb...any input on that?)
Fins59

Re: glass fuel filter

Post by Fins59 »

Roger - I have one of each. I have the original type glass bowl fuel filter, down by fuel pump, installed in my Fury and a modern in-line glass filter installed between pump and carb on my Sport Fury and both work fine.
I would think, too, the fuel would have to remain in carb if car is to start on one or two cranks, but haven't fooled with carbs in awhile.
What's nice about that modern in-line glass type filter (cartridge type) is that you can see the gas inside filter (like the oem filter) but you can carry extra cartridges, and easily change the cartridge.
Name of filter is "Spectre Clear View" and you can buy replacement element filters in package of 3.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

good information! i had no idea they were still manufactured. I will have to stop in at Napa and see what they have for sale.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Napa doesnt show them in the local store. Wheres should I look for one?
I have two vintage ones, but one is mising the filter, and on the other the gasket is all dried up.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hmm, I will anser my own question...Amazon.com!
However, these are not correct-looking...they are cylindrical, not the vintage bowl-shape. However, they are affordable at ~$8.00
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger, that is pretty inexpensive. Let me know what the part number is and if you like it.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Roger - I thought at one time someone had a bunch of the old original bowl type, nos I think. I think it was over on the FWDLK web page. It might have been just the glass bowl itself. Can't quite remember.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

The guy selling the NOS ceramic filter elements was Gary Nelson. Below I copied his email from the Forwardlook mailing list

Hi All
Back in May there was topic about the inability to find Carter Ceramic fuel filter elements. Years back I had located a couple of hundred old stock and sold out early this year. As I sell parts to Mopar collectors I went out on a search. Whala! I located a small lot. These are old stock mfg. by Federal Mogul off the Carter tooling. FM bought Carter years ago. They are identical to the NOS I have that are packed in Mopar boxes. With this stock I can reduce the price from $26 to $19. I also have new springs that push the filter to the seal, $4.50 ea.
If you want my updated parts list, send e-mail I will send back to you.
Thank you,
Gary, the parts doc
Reno, Nevada 89521 USA
The Biggest Little City In The World
Mail: garythepartsdoc@glnelson.com
775 851-1420
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thanks, Ron!
I will contact him. (How old is his post?)
In addition to the ceramic insert, I would need the gasket as well.
Roger
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Roger,

This post is from August 2009 but I have seen it later too. My guess is that he emailed it again somewhere around November/December but I didnt save that email as it was exactly the same as the other one. He does have a bigger parts list that I saved on my computer, if anybody is interested let me know and I can email it to you.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Roger and all,

Stay away from the new cylinder glass filter - they can't take the heat. Mine was glass with chrome ends and broke while filling up with gas half-way to Myrtle Beach a few years back. The glass is just to thin for the heat from the intake manifold.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Curt,
I appreciate the tip!
I emailed Gary Nelson at the address given, and it bounced.
I went to Napa Auto Parts and not only could they not find parts for the Carter unit, they couldn't find Carter at all. They did find one that closely resembled it, except that it had a petcock on it, and NO filter! (I dunno what you'd use such an item for!).
So I guess I will leave well enough alone.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I bought a fuel pump from these guys, years ago... Seems to me they sell glass fuel filters and accessories too -- they used to have a website, but not that I can find now. Still in business?
Screenshot.png
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

My mistake (again) I did not enter the correct address for Gary Nelson. I will try it again, using the complete address. (I forgot the "l").
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Gary Nelson replied to my inquiry. He told me he is getting out of parts sales and concentrating on re-building items such as bellow brake boosters.
The fuel filters are $19 each. He is taking 10% off nearly all his prices.
The list isn't terribly long, and is mostly balljoints, gaskets and seals, ignition parts...
www.garythepartsdoc@glnelson.com.