Sport Fury in the scrap yard

Hey, I've got this part. Interested in buying it?
rogerh

Sport Fury in the scrap yard

Post by rogerh »

Hello,
I am aware of a Sport Fury 2HT which languishes in a salvage yard somewhat near to me here in Seattle. 7-8 years ago, he wanted $1500 for it. Recently I called on it, and now he wants $3000. The car is complete, but sits under pine trees (bad), sunk up to the axles in dirt, so I don't know if the floor and or frame is still good. The engine has a sticker on it reading 383(?) The car sat next to a 59 Desoto 4HT...I did not inquire about the Desoto...
I have no cash, but still I wonder...should I go get it? Spring is coming...
big m

Post by big m »

Hi Roger, I would say it depends on the car's condition. options, and the willingness of the owner to make a deal. These cars are getting awfully tough to find!

If you get a chance to inquire about the Desoto, let me know what he needs for it. My guy will be hauling a '59 Ford body up to a buyer in Canada, but he will be dropping the car off in Blaine, Wa. I'd like to find something to haul back, rather than paying my driver to deadhead back. ---John
In rust we trust!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Roger and John,

At this point after Barrett-Jackson I am wondering how good cars are as investments any longer. As a custom car owner, I was appalled at how cars that went through $200,000 custimization, only sold for $50,000!!!

That means the $20,000 I have invested in my car may net me less than $10,000 If I were forced to sell. I suppose if you buy right, keep costs down by doing the work yourself, and sell right, then there still is some profit to be made. My experience lately has been that people are not willing to pay what we believe is a fair price for our cars any longer as they once did in the early 90's.

John - you do this all the time - am I off-base here?

Roger - it is hard to say on this car with it stuck in the mud - but $1,500 would seem more of a fair price to pay if it has some desirable features for you and has a solid frame.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
big m

Post by big m »

Curt, I believe what we are seeing with the big auction house results, is of the market coming back to reality. Any hint of recession, and those that are strictly investing in the cars tend to sell them and get out of the car business. This happened in late '88 when '59 Cadillac convertibles and such spiked above 100 grand, and six months later, the same car could be had for 50% of that price.

I am not an investor, just love the '50's cars. ever since my first car in the '70's, my daily drivers have always been '50's cars. I parlayed my hobby into my business about 20 years ago, when I found my repair shop could not keep up with the dealerships in terms of the new technology.

I buy cars mainly that are good for parts only, but occasionally, a nice original will turn up, which I will sell as a complete vehicle rather than parting it out. ---John
In rust we trust!
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Sell? I'll never sell my 59. (offer me a hundred grand and see if I'm telling the truth :) Seriously, I waited and hunted too long to let her go, although the hunt is/was alot of fun. But I bought her right and don't think I could do a repeat. As for Roger's question; I think he's a wise ol fox who has purchased a few 59's and will come to the right decision.