Swapping in a sl-6 in place of a fh-6

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Savoy1959

Swapping in a sl-6 in place of a fh-6

Post by Savoy1959 »

Hello everyone. My name is John and a newbie to this site. I was wondering if anyone knows if a slant six would work in a pre-60 frame. I have a flat-6 now and have a line on a built sl-6. I heard that the sl-6 is longer than the flat-6 but is it too much for easy mods ? Everyone goes the V-8 route but I think a six is pretty cool with the right stuff on it.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

hello and welcome!
All I can tell you about the proposed swap is that the existng tranny will not simply bolt up to the slant six. Assuming the engine bay is long enough to accept the newer engine, you may then have to use the slant six's transmission,which voids the pushbutton shifter and the parking brake, so then you'll want to get a different driveshaft and modern rear end having a parking brake feature.
Let us know if it works! Somewhere on this list or ForwardLook.net someone has installed a Viper V-10 into a 59 Plymouth..that engine has to be longer than a slant-six.!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

For what it is worth - growing up my friend had a 63 plymouth slant 6 push button transmission belvedere/savoy?

So I think you can match the slant 6 to an early mopar push button transmission pre-1964.

Comments/corrections are welcomed.

I realize there are many aftermarket go-fast goodies for the slant 6.

Sounds liike you might have a plan!

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Savoy1959

Post by Savoy1959 »

Thank you for all your input. I definitely plan on upgrading the drivetrain. I don't necessarily have to keep the push button mech. I'm getting a whole notebook together full of posts on different mods people have done . As soon as my daughter is thru w/ college I should have a little extra $ to put toward the car.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

savvy59 wrote:For what it is worth - growing up my friend had a 63 plymouth slant 6 push button transmission belvedere/savoy?

So I think you can match the slant 6 to an early mopar push button transmission pre-1964.

Comments/corrections are welcomed.

I realize there are many aftermarket go-fast goodies for the slant 6.

Sounds liike you might have a plan!

Curt in MD
I had a 64 Plymouth as a kid equipped the same way, but if memory serves correct youve got some issues with the engine mounts going from a flathead to a slant six, so im not sure it would work along with the length issues..
Friend of mine had a 57 Savoy that was a flat 6 auto and he put a 62 Chrysler Saratoga 383 and the tranny with it, and he told me it bolted right in and he was still able to use the existing push buttons.