Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Matthew, here is some pictures of one side of the convert top frame I had taken for a gentleman in Austria (Seremy on the FL site) of the Passenger side I believe. It kinda shows the whole assembly of one side without the header and the bows. (yes, I had not painted that front one yet...)

Could you please put arrows on the parts you would need replaced, I know it would be for the drivers side but work with me. :)

John Q.
100_4068.JPG
100_4069.JPG
100_4066.JPG
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

More convert top frame pictures.

John Q.
a313_1.jpg
DSC02273.jpg
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I am pretty sure it is the linkage that is on pic 2 of your parts.

It broke right at the little arm that bolts to the middle section that holds the weather strip
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

First of all I want to thank everybody for the efforts they put in to find the part or the advise to replace/weld it! I consider all of you as the good guys now :!:

I think if John can have a replica made of his part that would be the best solution, do you need money in advance John? I am off next Friday so I might be able to drop bring it over 8) But then I would make Dan sad as I promised to work on the new ......., oh no sorry that is still a secret :lol: You better watch out for announcments to be made by our webmaster sometime next week :ugeek:

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Naw, don't need any advance money. Just trying to nail down what part to fab. Do we need to make both sides? and if so do we do all three parts that make up this assembly. Or just that part that is broken?

Still would love for Matthew to take my numerous pictures and put an arrow next to the part that is broken. If you can get him out of Bed! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Sir, you have an e-mail waiting in your inbox 8)
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Just got the top up!

I checked the passenger side arm and it had some cracks in it and was bended a little bit.
After that I unbolted it at the cylinders and tried to get the top up by hand. It was pretty hard to do as it was stuck somewhere at the passenger side.
After a close inspection i found out that it was stuck at the part that is bolted onto the middle section.
Here, right at the bolt

Started thinking and :idea: i knew it!

I checked the drivers side arm and yes! This is it.
As you can see on John Q's pics the arm has a round hole in it where a bolt goes in so it can move.
These arms had some force on them and they started to bend and crack (that why it is making a weird angle on the pic above!)
The round whole turned into an oval and the bolt is holding it all in place so it won't move.

So we need the linkage for the drivers side and passenger side.
Johnny Q is on it and hopefully we have a working top soon!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

So here is what i am gathering from the evidence and descriptions so far:
If i am correct, the Keijs need this bar for the drivers side, and its mirror image for the passenger side.
They can grind off the rivets, saving the good pieces, then use new rivets to re-assemble. :)
cvt top bars.PDF
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger, you are right on the money again. It is the long bar that broke of this 3 piece assembly.

Roger, I was able to have a Skype session with Ron and Matthew early this morning (late afternoon for the Keijs) and we all concured it was the long bar as Roger surmised.

We also decided we would make all three pieces of this assembly for both the broken drivers side and the bent passenger side. Mopar Ricky (Rick Clapham) who lives nearby me also chimed in (via a phone call) to offer some help since he has a plasma cutter and a 12 ton press at the Police garage he is a Master Mechanic at.(Hope they don't see my picture on the wall...) :lol:

By making all both DS and PS assemblies of 3 parts, the Keijs can decide to use what is still good or use this new stuff when they re-assemble.

Now on Monday, I can go to the local steel supply company and aske for a plate of 1/4 inch (.2500") steel in which to transfer the 3 pieces on it (actually 3 pieces times two) and then cut out the 6 pieces and then grind smooth the edges a bit so they have a slight chamfer on them and figure out where to use the press on them for the correct bends and offsets. I can pre-drill the holes that are know, I will need some help for a guestimate from the Keijs on what the hole diameter is for the rivet hole. With my rivet still in place I can only guess what it is. But since the Keij's have half of a broken piece they can probably provide the needed info to me.

Sure glad I paid attention in 8th grade metal shop!!!

Since I used to work for the Chrysler factory many years ago, we can still say that is a factory made piece!!! :lol:

Hopefully be done in a couple weeks with it and whisk it off to the Frozen Dutch countryside for re-installation.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)