Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger, It is just an old convert frame that is over 50 years old, don't be so hard on yourself, You babied that convert and kept it alive to see another day.

Hopefully it is the part I think it is and I will just send it to the Keij's free of charge to make everythink well again.
The metal is cast aluminum and it could be TIG'ed or if it is like my broken one I would have had a machine shop make me the other half that is missing and pin the parts together.

The convert top fram entire mass pivots on these two spots and that is a lot of weight. I am going to grease my convert top frame joints at their bushings to keep them operating smoothly. I can see where they would bind up a bit if not lubricated occasionally. Alot of stress and torque on these frames going up and down.

I am awaiting Matthew waking up and answering my post on which part he had a problem with.

Wake up Matthew!!!!! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thanks John, for the cyber hug. It is often said one should not sell big ticket items to friends, as they will come back to you with any problems they encounter.
I am way ahead of that, as I will feel guilty for ANYTHING that goes wrong on that car. The Keijs knew they were buying a 50-yr old car, and there are gonna be issues, as there certainly were when I owned it.

You made a great point...I never lubricated the top mechanism. i didnt think it was necessary!
If it turns out the Keij's top mechanism broke in the same place as yours, I will believe this is the weak link in the system.
I think it is stunning that you found and bought those spare parts, and speechless that you are willing to gift the part if it is needed.
This is one great group of car-loving friends.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Gosh shucks.... :oops:

I found out the lubrication part on my Challenger and Cuda convertibled I have owned over the years (6 0f them, kept one) All the mechanisms were creaking and stiff (no,not my knees!) When I put them back together again they were slick as snot! (SAE engineering term..)

When I disassembed my frame (59 Belvy top) to repaint I could see the machined surfaces inside the arms that pivoted had a bit of corrosion in them. Some of the joints had bronze bushings in them. And were stiff actuating. Giving then a good coating of white lithium grease re-energized the joints. I also light emory cloth them first to get rid of the debris/corrosion in the joint hole.I guess you could shoot some greaseless lubricate into the joint via the narrow straw applicator they can comes with the can. So there is not a large spray area of lubricate that could stain the canvas top if it is installed already.

Maybe Tom Fox and others with Converts can pipe in if they do this or is this something that I kinda do.

In the 6 years I have had my convert. I have seen 2 sales/auction of 57-59 convert frames or some of their parts on Ebay. I jumped on the 2nd sale after a complete top frame went for $750 in the first sale. In hind sight, I should have bought that first one too not knowing that they don't come up to often!

But I was able to score the needed convert frame part for my car and the extra parts for under $200 total. A macinge shop visit would have cost that or more.

But have no problem donating it to the Dutch contingent if they need it.I tis just collecting dust in my basement :D

I have recieved bits and pieces of a lot of extra 59 parts for my car that was provided by numerous Forum members. NOt including all the intellectual knowledge shared on these cars. So....Quid pro Quo. We are all in this together!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I checked it out untill i figured it out. Stayed in the garage till 1AM and hopefully i found the problem.
It is probably the top cilinder on the passenger side that doesn't work like it should which allowes the top frame to fold better on the drivers side.
That gave some tention on that part of the top and it snapped.

I will take pics later as i need to pick up my parents in 1 and a half hour and it is a 1 hour drive.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

While I was aware that the top did not go up or down as quickly as others I had observed, I wasn't about to tear apart the car which had taken me ten years to assemble! (Not whining here, just stating facts...)
Driving that car only three or four times a year, the top rarely was raised or lowered.
The lift cylinders and hoses, even the pump were all new ten years ago. Why it operated unevenly I cannot say.
I suppose it all boils down to maintenance, and I will admit I had no time for that, since I was married, and had my hands full with care of small child.
Which is why I am so happy that it is in the hands of a talented european mechanic!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I just removed the rear armrests and the cilinder on the passenger side is leaking.
Will need to find a replacement. Still need to check out the part of the top.

It all can happen, only wished it happened next year or just didn't happen. But hey! It happened so we can fix things :wink:
I don't want to be done next week so this will keep me busy :mrgreen:
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Just arrived home this morning after another wonderful trip and after 3 1/2 years I saw the convertible again. It made coming home a lot easier :D
And we know that things can happen with old cars, and if you own a fifties Mopar it is a challenge to get the parts to fix it. But I am sure we can have the broken piece replaced by a new one or maybe even a original piece. Maybe one of the John's has the part we need and wants to sell (SELL!) it to us, it will be a couple of days maybe before we can get a good picture of it as I have a million things to do right now and at this time I don't have much energy after the flight home.

The car is in great shape and we hope to get a lot of miles on it in the summer, just hope the weather will work with us and give us dry weekends :mrgreen:

And I want to thank Roger for the great care he took packing the trunk full of parts, all perfectly packed and wrapped. Probably have only seen half of it as it was spread around in the garage. I am sure he will miss his baby but whenever he can come visit us he will be picked up at the airport in it. Any others who have plans for a visit to Europe (are you there John Q?), please come in the summer and you'll get a convertible tour if you want it or not :lol:

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Oh... I'm here alright! Yes, still planning to make a trip over the pond. Next year is Pam and mine 25th Anniversary of me being her personal Slave ...errr Husband I mean. And I wanted to go to Ireland for it. And I would add a Dutch trip leg to it. Still in the planning stages of when and how long a trip.

I am going to buy two brand new cylinders for my car in the next couple of weeks. I have found no one to rebuild mine and most say it is better to buy new ones then have old ones rebuilt. I have seen our type of cylinders with the U shaped bottom mounting going for $135 all the time and occasionally going for $125 on ebay. So those parts are available.

If the part you need is one that I have I won't sell it to you. but will exchange it to you for one can of Diet Sunkist Orange. No if,ands or buts about it! So There! :P You can pay for the shipping but lets find out if what you need is the part I have.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Here are some pics, hope they are good and you understand what part it is.

Part where it snapped

Also going to:

Here you can see that it had some power on it, making a weird angle

That part bolts on to this part number

This is how it sits now

My little corner with shop manuals
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Good pics, Don't know if I have that part but I will go down in the basement to see. If not, I can send my part over to you that you could use to make a copy of. With mine as a template it is pretty straight forward to duplicate.

The partial frame that I had bought was mostly the rear ward section near the main pivot. I do not have any cross overs bows at all. But lets see....

PS your garage is very clean.....

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

matthew knows how to polish a car!!!! Look at that shine!

I know it''s a common expression, but "as long as it's apart...",
now you can investigate ways to get the top to fold down further.
Do you think they are in need of this multiple linkage unit..Part # 1866519, identified as Linkage 23-58-269, on p. 23BH-4 in the 59 Parts Book-

It will probably be quicker to have the part fabricated.
The lift cylinders were new in 2000 or 2001. I think they came rom a business in Florida.
The receipts are in the car. I suppose where one has failed, the other one is now suspect?
Last edited by rogerh on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

John, i'll see what i can do to fix this or find something else.
You also don't wanna see the rest of the garage :lol: And about the top. Yes, i am going to see if i can do something about it.

Roger, i just got out of the garage with the parts book and that is indeed what i need.
A co-worker polished the car completly.

Also got the right rear window fixed. Goes up and down as it should. Also changed 2 wires and it goes up now when you push the switch up!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The car is happy to be with you, no longer dusty and dirty in my garage! :D
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Thanks Roger! I am really doing my best to make the convertible feel at home.
Have looked in the receipts but couldn't find anything about the top cylinders. Was it Hydro electric? They sell them on ebay and are from Florida.

Anyone know if more cars share this part? According to the 59 parts book the Plymouth and Dodge parts are the same. Desoto and Imperial are different.
How about the 57-58 cars?
Also have Mr Fowley on it 8)
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here are my parts of the joint that failed. Luckily these sections of the top are not aluminum but heavy steel. So the can be welded back together again. The pivot point is a hardened rivet that would have to be drill out or ground off. Another rivet could be reinstalled but you might just want to put a dowel rivet in its place would be quicker and easier. Use teflon washer or a bronze thin washer if you do. Helps on the parts slipping together.

The picture you have that you had a caption that says 'making a weird angle.." is suppose to pivot a little when the top is actuated. It is part of a normal opening and closing function.

I do not have this part as a back up. (there goes my Diet Orange Sunkist) but that can be repaired or a replacement fabed up. Just keep the bends in the correct orientation of you are going to fab a replacement part. Heating of a replacement stock like a Blacksmith is needed to do the bends.

John Q.
100_4129.JPG
one view of the riveted parts
100_4130.JPG
opposite view of the riveted parts
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)