Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

More grease scraping and brushing, top of the frame. Time to pull the power steering! (Matthew ordered me a gasket kit.) More work to do on the steering column, but considering it was caked with grease, I'm happy with the way things are turning out...
IMG_4685.JPG
IMG_4686.JPG
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4694.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I finished scraping, brushing and cleaning the last of the frame. As a treat to myself, I started painting with rust encapsulator - but not underneath, yet! I know I'm going to get it all over myself, and what a mess to take off. Lots of massaging with a petroleum-based hand cleaner...

IMG_4730.JPG
IMG_4731.JPG
IMG_4732.JPG
IMG_4734.JPG
I gave the area under the battery tray a good coat of encapsulator. I'll coat it with some of Dick's seam sealer before I paint

Hey, where is everybody? Seems anymore like I'm the only one around here who's working on a '59 Plymouth...
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

We are so impressed by your progress... We are staying silent in awe. :o
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I stand with Ricky (in awe). Great job Dan, it's really nice to watch you having so much fun. Just keep that vision of driving to Carlisle riding on top of all that sweat, Ospho, seamsealer and Encapsulator. It's hard to imagine your excitement at the thought. BELIEVE ME IT'S ALL WORTH IT.

Well my Convertible, Bertha Irene is going to be in another "concours" this Saturday at the Lakeland Auto show in Lakeland, FL. Name changed from Lake Mirror Classic. While l know she is not concours caliber but a very nice #3 driver I'm not going to say anything. Best show in Florida, been going for 15 years. I usually park with us guys in the downtown area. The concours is staged around Lake Mirror.

The brakes are grabbing on the Desoto so that's next. Then Charlene will get extensive work on the throttlet/kickdown linkage. Nothing near as exciting as what Dan is doing.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

We're here Dan,I like looking at the progress you are making.In my early process I felt like A beaver gnawing on A tree but then I kept looking at Dicks pics and really got inspired. That guy chewed the whole damn forest !!!!!!!!!!! Looks GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!! Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am Well my Convertible, Bertha Irene is going to be in another "concours" this Saturday at the Lakeland Auto show in Lakeland, FL. Name changed from Lake Mirror Classic. While l know she is not concours caliber but a very nice #3 driver I'm not going to say anything. Best show in Florida, been going for 15 years. I usually park with us guys in the downtown area. The concours is staged around Lake Mirror.
Please post pics, Dick! This sorry Forum needs all the help it can get :oops:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Another rare Friday off (because I've been working my *ss off, Sundays and 12 hour days, supporting a new system install). I was hoping to work on Faulkner today, too, but I'm too pooped to pop. So instead, I'll just post these pictures from yesterday.

IMG_4776.JPG
A coat of Dick's seam sealer...
IMG_4783.JPG
...and a coat of paint. I will rust out, before this sucka will now.
IMG_4779.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
Note to self: Don't turn the front wheels with the power steering hoses removed! What a freakin' mess I made. Mineral spirits to the rescue - fortunately it sprayed over mostly painted surfaces
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Finally - the long ordeal is over. The entire undercarriage has been scraped, brushed, treated and painted with rust encapsulator. Only need to do the inside door skins and rockers now, neither of which requires I crawl under the car. The next time I do that, will be to install the exhaust - which, won't rain rust or paint down on me.
IMG_4818.JPG
A bit chilly in the garage to start the day, but it warmed up to 75 with the garage door open
IMG_4820.JPG
IMG_4821.JPG
IMG_4824.JPG
And look what came from SMS! Windlace
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Great job Dan - You got all the uglies done, now every thing should be downhill.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Back out to the garage today. Because I want to detail the engine compartment before I put under the hood back together, I removed the heater shroud to make some room.

IMG_4836.JPG
Lots of Idaho desert dust!
IMG_4843.JPG
Vacuumed out a bit - the right lower drain port, covered by a rubber flap, was completely blocked by dirt. The left flag was missing.
IMG_4842.JPG
Yes, I know what I have to do here, Dick!
IMG_4837.JPG
Years ago, I punched this hole with a wrench while monkeying around with the distributor. Now I can fix it with a little Bondo
IMG_4838.JPG
I'll get the heater core pressure tested. What about these rubber grommets - does Gary have them?
IMG_4845.JPG
And does he have these flaps over the drain ports? Page number, please...

I then tried my contraption for clearing the inside rockers of rust - a 1 1/2" washer with a cut off flat spot to improve dragging, and so you can turn it into the smaller inspection plug hole.

IMG_4846.JPG
You can see all the crud in there
IMG_4850.JPG
Tools of the trade! Hey, how can I know when I'm done, without a timer?!?
IMG_4852.JPG
Turning the washer into the hole
Contraption in action!
IMG_4851.JPG
You can tell where the drain holes are
IMG_4853.JPG
Look at this pile of detritus
IMG_4854.JPG
Much better - but I'm still not satisfied

I think for my next trick, I'm going to hook a piece of rigid PVC to the shop vac and run it back and forth in the opening. I don't have the luxury of running a garden hose in there in a closed garage, which is the right way to do it.

And now, for something completely different. When I take the car to the body shop, I'm going to have them plug the hole where the antenna sits in the passenger side fender - because I've got replacement bases for the rear. I removed the inspection plate, and can see the base of the antenna from the underside, looking straight up. Any ideas about how to loosen that sucker?

IMG_4874.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ha! One time I had Matthew go through my Goer's catalog, and mark parts that I needed. He marked the flaps - and I bought 'em! Gary also has the heater core seals, which I didn't buy - but I see that Gary also has the original type hose clamps. Looks like I'll be posting another order soon - and hope that he has the material in stock.
flap.png
seal.png
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Gary Goers also supplies the gaskets to mount the heater box on the firewall.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup! Matthew marked it, and I got it.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hey guys,

1) How do I reach up through the inspection plate and loosen the antenna from the front fender? Is there a trick?

2) I'm preparing an order for Gary Goers. I'm looking for the rear antenna gaskets, but not finding them. Is it the same gasket as for the fender mirrors? (Too lazy to drag my butt to the basement and unpack the box from a previous order)

3) While I'm at it - I had bought some of this rubber edging for the taillight housings, but it looks to be kind of light duty to me. Did any of you use it, and if not, what did you use?

goers.png
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Dicks 59 Red And white Sport Fury Restoration, page 11 has pictures of tail lights and sport deck with chrome door edge moulding. I have it on the convertible also.
Dick