4dHT

Autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

:) Curt I hope it has stopped raining and I hope you get your new
carb! My guy Rick's 69 Satellite had the newer 318, that thing was
indestructable from what he told me ... lol Beth
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

okay, good to know tank is clean, and all fuel lines are new. And because you were able to blow air thru the carb via the fuel filter, there are no clogs there and the carb float is open and ready to receive gas. So now all you need to do is get the gas flowing from the tank! I do not know if it is possible to blow air back thru the fuel pump all the way to the tank..it's worth a try.
I think someone is going to have to apply a vacuum to the fuel line to see if fuel can be sucked up from the tank. THis is dangerous if done with the wrong equipment, so it appears you are stuck with taking Wanda back to the shop. (If rubber hoses adhere to the metal lines, an easy fix is to cut the rubber line, then using the same knife, split the little hose section off the metal line)
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that your new fuel pump is the old style with screws around the bottom of the diaphram bowl?
If so did the person that installed it, tighten the screws before they put it on?
The old rebuildable style pumps (with the screws around the bowl) were not tightened at the time of manufacture to prevent the diaphrams from cracking in prolonged storage.
Just a thought.
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You have reminded me of a mistake my brother made fitting a new fuel pump to his Amphicar..he put the actuating lever OVER, rather than UNDER (or vice versa) the engine part that drives it. Beth, has your fuel pump EVER Worked?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Just an aside -- as a kid, we drove back from Canada to Philly in a crippled '64 Chrysler. After exhausting ideas about what went wrong, we found that if we held a can of gas in the the front seat above the carb (enough slop in the hood to feed a rubber line to the carb) we could gravity feed gas and breeze home. When we got back, we discovered the rebuilt fuel pump was defective...

Roger, your misplaced lever idea seems very plausible.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
4dHT

Autochoketroubles

Post by 4dHT »

:) Roger and everyone: The replacement fuel pump worked fine
when my regular shop returned Wanda. She started right up-one pump of pedal, hold to floor halfway--twice started with one turn of the key!
Bad weather made me wait a week before trying her again, and thats when the problem started. Can you buy rubber fuel line at NAPA?--diameter size--Is that how it is measured? If so I can buy some replacement line Thursday and try to blow the line out that afternoon, weather permitting, with hose and funnel to fill line carefully and of course gas cap off. I have to eventually buy another air compressor, mine is an ancient Craftsman, knob goes to 100, and vibrates so bad I have to brick it up so it doesn't "walk" across my driveway. If that doesn't work--its the fuel pump for sure! Beth
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Beth,
Absolutely you can buy flexible fuel line at NAPA. Do this: cut your fuel line with a sharp knife (scissors if you have to) and bring them a sample piece. (I think it's 5/16", but I certainly could be wrong about that.)
I explained how to split off the portion(s) which have adhered to the steel lines. While you are in the process of replacing the flex line, use the funnel and fuel technique to fill the pump and line with fuel, then re-connect everything and give it a try.
And yes, I have head of rebuilt fuel pumps being defective from the get-go...yours was installed correctly, because you reported it worked, so I think it has lost its "prime"...this could mean a defective pump, as once fuel is up to- and into the pump, it should NOT drain back to the tank...
4dHT

autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

:) WANDA NO GO! Yesterday blew out fuel line to gas tank, added gas to one end of rubber line connected to metal fuel line, connected other end of rubber line to fuel pump, put more gas down carb--same result. Starts but dies. And I also put a Stant vented radiator cap on. Have to wait for my bodyman to tow Wanda away :( -- how I love her, rotten paint and all! Neat aside (will send copy for forum) found a circa 1960 photo of my guy Rick when he was 6/7 standing with his mom next to ... a 1959 Plymouth (think he said it was a Belvedere) 4 door sedan, with icicles and a little snow on the front bumper! Beth.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Beth,

Well, Wanda may get towed away - but not from neglect on your part - I say you certainly gave her every chance known to start. I don't think you can be looking at anything major since she does fire and run with gas.

I am sure she will start and run just fine once the culprit is found (my guess is the same as others - the feul pump).

Great story about your guy at age 6 or 7 standing next to a 1959 Plymouth. I am still searching for a picture of my Step-Grandfather standing next to his Orange 4 door Savoy - that color is still vivid in my mind.

I trust you were not working on Wanda today - it was bitterly cold and windy here today in Maryland.

Curt in Maryland
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey Beth,
These step-by-step instruction is painfully slow, but it has to be this way over the Internet..
Okay, now we know the line from tank to fuel pump is not blocked. You put "some" gas back down the line (did you put in enough that it spilled over?) Then, sorry to say, you still have to prime the pump. I know you said you couldn't get the rubber line after the pump to disconnect, but I do not believe you can prime a pump from the inlet side. Pouring fuel down the carb will only run the car for a short while...it does nothing to prime a pump.
I heard it got cold and nasty there, so tow that car to the shop and pay a few extra dollars to have the problem solved.
4dHT

autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

:) Curt: I will post my pic when I can get it ready to be sent-hopefully this week. Hope you find your pic!
Roger: NO problem with step by step. ONLY way you know what has been done. OK, what I did Saturday: Cut off complete rubber line which connects 1) to short little metal end/line coming out of fuel pump 2) to long flanged metal line which runs to gas tank. When I did that the short little metal end at fuel pump dripped a little gas onto my driveway. Metal flang at long metal line was dry. I then blew compressed air into long metal line, for about 3 minutes. Then I connected new rubber line (I put a little oil on it first) to the long metal line--wriggled and pressed it on, then I put a clamp on that end. I next poured gas from a small funnel into the other end of my new rubber line until gas dripped out of the rubber. (About 1/4 soda bottle of gas) I then connected this end of the rubber to the small metal end coming out of the fuel pump, and clamped it . Then I poured some more gas down the carb, and tried again.
Is there anything else l can do, Roger?
Beth
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Beth,
You did what I would have donem and it is obvious the fuel is NOT traveling up the long metal line.
About the only other thing you could do is repeat the fill of the long metal line as before , then re-connect, then cut the line AFTER the pump, then crank the starter in an attempt to get the pump to draw fuel from the tank. This would determine once and for all if the pump works. I am tempted to suggest that you add pressure to the gasyank inlet, in an attempt to "push" the fuel toward the pump.