230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Cause?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: 230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Caus

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

sallysavoy wrote:Thanks RICKYMOPAR...further update ,I changed the trans gear oil last night and the rear oil . The rear oil literally came out like molasses so i left it to drain overnight with the axle tilted to one side to get out as much of that goo as possible. Can't wait to run it down the driveway.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Mark, while you had the axle apart did you put in new axle tube seals? Cheap insurance as long as the axle was being drained.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Hi John, No unfotunately i didn't think i needed to do that, are they behind the rear brake assembly? I did inspect those seals and they appeared to be sealing ok.Does anyone know of a source for a vacuum advance for the flat head 6 and a replacement clutch pressure plate and throughout bearing.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - My first choices would be www.napa.com and www.rockauto.com. Then ebay.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

sallysavoy wrote:Hi John, No unfotunately i didn't think i needed to do that, are they behind the rear brake assembly? I did inspect those seals and they appeared to be sealing ok.Does anyone know of a source for a vacuum advance for the flat head 6 and a replacement clutch pressure plate and throughout bearing.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Yes, the seals are just inboard of the tube behind the brake shield. Take a look at my posting on my rest and you can see where the inner seals are located. Just would have been easy to do if you had the half axles out as a preventive service. Hopefully this link will go to page 6 of my travels.. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1317&start=75

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks John for the info, and Thanks Dick, I did check those sources and only saw a throughout bearing at rock auto.
Thx
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I do not wish to offend anyone when I say they are called throw-out bearings, and they are used throughout the world.
(signed, Mr. Grammar) :)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I don't know Roger, I have bearings throughout my whole car.
Dick.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Morning Gents,
Seems that is another facet of growing old, forgetting how to spell , thanks for reminding me. Any way I now have a new dilemma, the trans will not go into second gear and when it goes into third it grinds a bit. The trans does seem a bit noisy also. Can anyone tell me what other years/vehicles in chrysler has this same tranny. I already know the 56/57 will not work as i went to one that i saw in the yard and it is a different 3 speed.When i first got this car before i got it running i was able to put it only in second and third while just sitting behind the wheel without the engine running, not sure what changed. Yes i did change the gear oil and no obvious metal chips. I did look at the manual and it shows an access panel so I may open that up and have a look see.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
big m

Post by big m »

Disconnect the linkage rods, and see if you can put the transmission through all gears manually. Sometimes if the linkage gets worn, it will give you shifting troubles. If you still have problems getting the trans into second, it is internal.

---John
In rust we trust!
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Hi John, I already did this and i agree it must be internal, the shift rods and the little rubber doughnuts on them are like new. Do you know what tranny should be in this Savoy, A-230 ?? Do you think it is possible the syncro is stuck. Odd thing is before i got it to run i could only get it to go into second and third gears
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
big m

Post by big m »

You should be able to determine the problem once the cover is removed. Inspect the shift forks closely too.

---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I tried mightily, but I cannot find out the name of the manual transmission in a '59 Plymouth.
The A-903 was introduced in 1960.
The A-230 came into use in the early 70's.
Borg-Warner t-87 was used in Mopar trucks and some passenger cars of the fifties.
Last edited by rogerh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I do not think the NP 230 was used in 1959. I remember them in 1970 and later, it is a really heavy duty three speed. I can see your style transmission in my memory the were used 55 56 57 58 59. Borg Warner? syncro-mesh 2-3. They are easy to work on, hard to find parts.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Morning all,
Todays update is as follows.I removed the trans this past weekend and took off the only access cover on the gearbox that is there, which is the side
cover where the shift linkage goes thru and has the shift forks attached to. I did find that the pins on the 2nd 3rd syncro that align/hold it together were all broken and some laying down in the bottom of the gearbox. I also found some other metal fragments which i think are the bearing retainer from input bearing which is missing some of its ball bearings, assumeing it should have a full bearing full of balls. Where these balls went is a mystery. However the other issue is trans ID. Now i bought this cd online which is very informative and i now believe i have a somehow older/ original version of the A903 or A250 or A745 because these are the only trans that show the same syncro/part that broke in mine but all the pictures show these trannys with top access covers and that is where the confusion begins. I am going towards a 57,58,59 only trans design because the 56 that is in the yard i go to has a different type 3 speed in it.All opinions and thoughts welcome here.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Try John Fowlie at Big M. he is a member of the group. Also Neil Freman for a used Transmission at www.fremansauto.com.
Dick.