1959 Sport Fury Steering

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Dick Koch

Re: 1959 Sport Fury Steering

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes Ken - I have found Andy Bernbaum to be short, abrupt and treat you as if you are an enemy not a customer. I hope you have kept tract of how the snaprings, washers, springs, etc. are arranged on the horn ring end of the steering wheel and are willing to share that info with us all.
Thanks,
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

HALELUJA - I found the steering wheel, horn ring and directional signal controls or at least part of it. In the 1959 parts list book page 8AI. It still doesn't show how the washers & snap rings go. Does a washer go on top of the bearing? There is a tapered spacer with a slit down the side, does that go first and then a washer? There are two grooves above the bearing for snap rings, which one takes a snap ring? Mine had no snap ring above the bearing but my parts car did. Mine had a washer below the snap ring groove that I had to force past the groove to get it off???????? Any body help.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

What a bummer. No where in my literature (1957-8 Service Manual, 1959 Supplement, 1959 Parts List, and Vol.s 1, 2, and 3 of the 1957-9 Shop Manuals) is there a diagram of the steering tube assembly other than the one Dick found. Guess they figured it didn't need to be taken apart.
I used to have a complete steering tube assembly here, but I sold it to John Fowlie last Fall, so I am no help.
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

Update: I sent Gary Goers a fax on a Friday and mailed a check the same day. Received a Steering Shaft Insulator and Steering Tube Insulator the following Wednesday! How is that for service. Got my car back last night. What an improvement. I can actually keep this car in a designated lane. It's not rack & pinion but a tight as mopars of that era can be. After reading all the postings from the other members, I can't help but wonder if I really needed a steering gear box in the first place. But the bottom line is, the car is now safe by 1959 standards.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Ken Morton
4 door hdtp.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ken!
DId you take ANY pictures of this work, or was is done (as hinted by your post) by others?
TWO separate insulators now?
Well, my car's steering is tolerable, so I don't really have to know all about these insulators at this time.
roger
big m

Post by big m »

Gary Goers in Montana would be a good bet to check with. He is reproducing most rubber parts for the Forward Look era cars.

---John
In rust we trust!