A dream realized!

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I think both are true, John; and the guys who are on the hook for concrete projects are rushing to finish up before the cold weather sets in. No one wants to take on any work before spring -- none of the good ones, that is...

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

The only thing good about global warming is...

Post by Faulkner »

...the weather is still warm enough to pour a foundation, and I've signed with a contractor! Work should start in earnest next week. Now, to remove that fence...

Pix to follow!

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Pics would definitely be in order! You are the one person who is making things happen this winter!
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Dan - one thing you might want to think about is to have your ceiling height high enough to accomodate a lift (now or in the future). I'm thinking about putting one in my garage but might have to raise the ceiling (only in the space above the lift) about a foot to comfortably park another car under it. My ceiling height presently is 9'8" or 116". I think with that height you could work under a car ok but double stacking might be a little tight. If my plans work out ok I'm inviting every member to come over and use the lift :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yeah, well, I didn't think that far ahead when I drew up the plans, John. But I'm lucky to get the garage at all! The missus isn't, um, thrilled about the whole thing, if you catch my drift. But she's been supportive so far -- and who can ask for more than that.

Hey! This is getting real -- they started digging for the footings! I finally think this is really, really going to happen...

Dan
IMG_3218.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

sorry to hear she is less-than-enthusiastic..what is the problem..will she miss the "backyard" get-away, or loss of flower pots, or the fact that your car will take up all the room? Remind here she will be gaining a rooftop garden/sunspace directly off teh Master sitting room..maybe you will even have a territorial view..
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Go ahead and build it high enough for a lift, if you don't you will regret it forever, Heh, Heh, besides you will have a place to store your SF convertible when you get it (on top please). I found when I go against my missus wishes she eventually gets over it, that's because she loves me and knows I won't object when she returns from her 7 day shopping spree. Then again she won't get over it, empties the bank account and does major renovations to the house. The Desoto was OK, no problem. The Red SF took a year to get over. The 63 Galaxie Convertible cost me a Screen Porch. To get the Green SF I had to promise to sell one of the others, Yea Right. She still brings it up once in a while but not a much as she used to. Good Luck.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:Hey! This is getting real -- they started digging for the footings! I finally think this is really, really going to happen...
Dan
(*sigh*) two days of work, out of the past 20 days. The ditches for the footings are complete, but it's too cold now to pour. The middle of my yard is a pile of debris, not yet removed; the contractor is nowhere to be found.

The winter doldrums. This too shall pass.

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Uh-oh. for some reason, when I saw the photo, I got concerned. I'm sure you signed with a GC with good credentials..
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

I've got a terrific idea. This coming July, ROGER can fly over to Dan's house a couple weeks before Carlisle - help Dan build his garage - trek over to Carlisle - and on his way back to Washington state, can stop here in Wisconsin (I live only a few miles from the airport and will gladly pick him up) and help me build a garage in my backyard. I thought of this because I remember Roger is a carpenter. Today when I went down to pay my taxes I found out the zoning laws here are favorable for me because of the amount of yard I have (3 acres) even though its zoned residential. In the past, I heard rumors to the contrary, but got the official info today from town building inspector. So there you go, Dan. Try and use your persuasive powers again. :D
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:Hey! This is getting real -- they started digging for the footings! I finally think this is really, really going to happen...
Well, I thought it was really, really going to happen... Now, I'm not so sure.

My contractor has 1/3 of the money, which should have taken us up to the pour of the foundation. All I've got to show for it, are two trenches in my back yard and a pile of dirt and rubble. He checked into a psych ward for depression, he's not answering phone messages or emails. He's been discharged, but is nowhere to be found.

(*sigh*) I don't think I'm supposed to have this garage. Maybe I'll just chuck the rubble back in the trenches, and forget about it.
0128071717.jpg
big m

Post by big m »

Dang, Dan! That is surely a rotten deal! Do you have any recourse against the contractor? Maybe with a little luck he will return to complete the job. ---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

big m wrote:Dang, Dan! That is surely a rotten deal! Do you have any recourse against the contractor? Maybe with a little luck he will return to complete the job. ---John
I have no expectations he'll return, John. Today I went to file a claim to bring him to court -- I was informed I need an estimate from another contractor to finish the job. Well -- I suppose that's reasonable. So, I called a reputable builder who restored the block of houses in the next block, and asked him for a referral; it turns out the guy he referred me to did the patio in my back yard and poured the base gravel. He came out today and assessed the mess, and is going to give me an estimate. Then, if Marie is OK with it, we'll move forward (again). I'll lick my wounds, haul the first guy's ass into court, and chalk it up to experience.

Dan
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

I am really sorry for your troubles.

Did the recent guy say that what was done already was a wasted effort or did he just mean the pile of rubble in the middle was a mess?

Well - not much can happen right now anyway because we are at 14 degrees right now and I bet you may be a couple of degrees colder.

Well I can relate somewhat - when I contracted for a concrete driveway a few years back and it took three months of very short work days for the company to get it finished. Many days it went untouched and then we were into colder weather - so it took even longer. What was worse was the fact that we had arguments every other day on when the job would be finished.

Curt in Chilly Maryland
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

savvy59 wrote:Did the recent guy say that what was done already was a wasted effort or did he just mean the pile of rubble in the middle was a mess?
Well, he didn't say it was a wasted effort, Curt -- although, he did point out that some of the trenches needed to be squared off. I guess I'm just waiting to hear his estimate now, to see how bad it is...

Dan