Routing of trans cooler lines..

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Fins59

Re: Routing of trans cooler lines..

Post by Fins59 »

Just to chime in here - The radiator that came with my factory 318 A/C '59 is 1832 693. After putting hole in that one I replaced it with #1832 672 from my 318 non A/C parts car. I have no problem with over heating either because my A/C is non-functioning. I guess I'll hang onto that 1832 693 in case I get my A/C together.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

thanks for that, John.
If you are near your car, can you answer Stefan's question as to which might be two-row or three-row cores?
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

The 318 radiator should be enough - that’s what I thought, but my engine is as good as new and due to oversize pistons and reworked heads and deck there is a higher compression ratio. I have between 10.5:1 and 11:1 and that appears to produce just enough heat to lift the safety valve. That happens only when the outside temperature is over 70º - and we had the last 2 month over 90º here. Below 65º I don’t have no problems.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I opened the radiator cap and tried to count the rows...it appears it is a 2-row radiator, with 7(!) lb. cap. Specs call for a 14 lb cap. Go figure.
Very difficult to see, but it LOOKS like I had the lower radiator connection moved to the drivers side, to clear the 361 oil filter.
The last long trip I took was to Eastern Washington, and it was 85 degrees over there.
Stefan, could your cooling system have an obstruction, or faulty thermostat?
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

No, everything is brand new. I even bought a second radiator cap to double check it. I talked to a friend a couple of days ago and he told me to go for a bigger radiator (buy one or add a row to the one I have now) and the problem will be solved. I guess that’s what I will do in the near future.

Besides: It’s easy if you want to find out if you have a 2 or 3 row radiator. Just take a flash light, look under your hood and count the rows of the water passages. See the picture. Red = first row, green = second row and if there is another row behind it…., but you probably have only two rows.
P1010030.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

not so easy because my condenser radiator covers the front, but it IS a 2-row radiator.
PICT0156.JPG
PICT0157.JPG
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Stefan, How many blades on your radiator fan? Also, a newly rebuilt engine, especially a B/RB motor, runs hotter after a rebuild till the engine is broken in. It is just tighter and there is more friction and heat produced.

You said you had a boil over from your radiator but the temp sensor did not show an overheat. I would check the temp sensor to see if it is functioning, your thermostat to see if it is opening and whether your lower radiator hose is collapsing in. Do you have the metal coil spring in the rubber hoses?

The items I am suggesting are coming from the Forward Look site (www/ForwardLook.net) that a lot of people have had similar issues with boil overs but the sensor showed normal. Go over to that sight and click on the Forum tab. Then go down to Heating, Cooling and Air Conditioning discussion. There is a lot of good info there that might be of help.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Roger,
yeah :!: I forgot that you have the AC in it.

John,
It’s the original 4 blade fan. The sensor and thermostat are ok – I’ve checked. Also the hoses are not collapsing.

Meanwhile temperatures dropped here in Portugal and I took advantage of the two last days of rain. No dropping anymore and the car drives fine.
Thanks for you help fellows. I will make some test drives during the next days and then I will add one more row to the radiator. I hope that will help to bring that to an end. I’ll let you know.

PS: John Z – Sorry for invading your topic!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

No problem Stefan, I am a little guilty of doing the same (OK a lot guilty!) :oops:

It happens a lot that we move to other area's then the original topic but we all learn from each other on how to put things together, take them apart or trouble-shoot issues.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/