Hello From MI.

59$avoy

Hello From MI.

Post by 59$avoy »

Hello everyone my name is Durke and I live in West MI area. I bought my 59 from Mike Bond about 3 years ago, I see that he used to be on this forum. There are pictures of it on 59SportFury.net in the Savoy section, but now it has a 400 BB with a tri-power set up. I live close to local cruise/hangout spot so during the summer I have it out every weekend that the weather is nice. I just replaced the cam because the one that he put in was way to big for the stock 8.2 compression. Next I'm going to replace the torque converter because it only has a stock reman and I swear it locks at about 800 rpm. Other plans include wide whites and maybe paint the roof a metallic white???(not sure yet). Also I may put in some 3.73 gears and run her down the strip and see what she can do!
Anyone else live in the West MI area?? I've been to a few shows with it and yet to run into another 59 Plymouth!
Here are a couple of pics
DSCF5004.JPG
DSCF3624.JPG
This is what the engine looked like when i bought it. I've changed many things but don't have a current pic
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Hello From MI.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Hi 59$avoy, (If you can update your profile or signature line with your name and location that would help in geting to know you) Congrats on picking up Mike Bonds car. It was a pretty clean example with a warmed up motor I believe. Where do you live in West Michigan? Muskegon, Holland, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, GR, Niles or Benton Harbor/St Joes? I would have said Paw Paw but very few people I know live there.
As you can figure out I use to be from MIchigan. Went to WMU in Kazoo, graduated in 78 and then out here in Denver ever since.
Did Mike or you, ever do the disc brake swap out on this Savoy? Keep us informed of your continuing plans for the car and send us some pictures as you do more.
There are a lot of knowledgable people on the forum who have taught me a lot about 59 Plymouths, so feel free to ask questions in the threads that you need help in. (ie tech support or how to...")
Looking for parts? John Fowlie (Big M) on this forum (another former Michigander) has a restoration /salvage yard in California that he can access for parts. Though your car is in great metal shape as far as we can see.

John Q
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

Thank you for the response John! It's nice to have a place to find out info, I've learned very much just reading on this forum and on Forward look. I live in the Grand Rapids area(born and raised). I've had quite a few Mopars in my day (3 darts, 2 68 Coronets, 64 Valiant convertible, 74 Fury, 70 Imperial, 73 Duster) But I honestly can say that even though it has giving me fits trying to getting to run right! The 59 has been my favorite!!! My car does have 4 wheel disc brakes that Mike put on from AAJ, which is very nice!!!!!

Here are a few more pics

I had the front end rebuilt last summer, as you can see the bushings were shot!
IMG_1452.jpg2.jpg
After the rebuild there was alot of play in the steering and I know Mike had put in a rebuilt box. so after a little digging i found that the insulator bushing is shot, this is what i'm currently working on. I ordered a new bushing from Andy Bernbaum yesterday. hopefully that fixes it.
IMG_1445.jpg 3.jpg
while i have the column out I'm wiring in a tach which i'm going to mount on the column
IMG_1444.jpg2.jpg
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Denver 59 Fin Convert

A Kent County man eh??? Welcome again, Yeah, the front suspension bushing and steering bushing were toast. The replacement stuff should tighten it all up for ya!

4 wheel disc should be nice. How do you like the stopping power of your 4 door with it?

Do send some pics of the car when the GR thaw ends. :) Keep researching the old Tech stuff. When I joined that is all I read to get up to speed on our Classic 59 Plymouths we all own.

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

big m

Post by big m »

Welcome to the board!

I met Mike Bond in 2007 at Tulsarama, he did a nice job on your '59! She's a strong runner, that's for certain.

---John
In rust we trust!
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

I installed the insulator and put the column back together then took for a spin. WOW!! what a difference! I thought i was going to have to replace the steering box, but all it took was $7.50 part to fix the problem! On to the next project!!!!!!!!!!!!
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Sounds like I better check my steering column bushing before I get all put back together again. Sure is easier to do it now without the engine and front clip in.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

[quote="59$avoy"]Next I'm going to replace the torque converter because it only has a stock reman and I swear it locks at about 800 rpm. Other plans include wide whites and maybe paint the roof a metallic white???(not sure yet).

Hi Durke, welcome aboard. Just wanted to comment that I loved the you tube clip backing out of the garage!

My car is green with an artic white top -no metallic and I love the color combination. Check the avatar.

I had the same problem with my converter locking up at 800 rpm. I am running a "warmed-up" 1976 Volare 318 (LA) that my original flathead six could beat from a dead stop. An 1800-2100 rpm Mopar Performance converter was the best $240 I ever spent! I am running the Volare 8 1/4 3.23 positraction rear.

Keep the posts flowing with more pictures as you go along.

Curt from Ellicott City, MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

savvy59-- Thanks for the response. Do you have any more pics so I can get a better look at the white roof? the avatar pics kinda small, but from what I can see it looks pretty good! Just out of curiosity what are you running for a trans behind the LA motor? I found some pretty sweet white wall cheater slicks on http://www.radirwheels.com, not that i need slicks but they would look cool! I'm gonna get some more videos up on youtube when i get a chance.
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Durke, Click on the EVENTS tab on the main page and select 2008 Carlisle. Look at pictures 34 - 49 or so and you will see many shots of my car. i am the guy in the power wheelchair hence the hand controls on the car.

My car was made up from a 1976 Plymouth Volare Premiere station wagon. So the front sub frame was used, power steering and brakes, 318, 904 trans with converter and some drilled passages to shift a little harder, road runner drive shaft (perfect length) and 8 1/4 3.23 posi rear.

Sorry I did not know gow to link you directly to the pictures. You will also see a custom 4 dr with white roof and blue body.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Curt,

You really have to file a complaint against our webmaster for still not having a page in the showcase! here is a direct link to the page with the pictures of your car http://59sportfury.net/Events/Carlisle% ... ndex3.html

Did you mention that the moviestar showing in some of the pics is your daughter?

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Hi Durke - I used to run into Mike and his car occasionally. First time was at the Tomahawk, WI car show (coming up Memorial Day). When he started his '59 up, the buildings shook. 8) Then a few times at the Iola, WI show. In fact one morning we had the famous Iola pancake breakfast together.
Here in WI I don't see too many '59 Plymouths. They are a rare breed. Saw a SF a few years ago at the Antigo car show. Haven't seen it again. The guy was from Texas so maybe he took it back there. John Bartell over in Neilsville, WI has a '59 Suburban, and that's about the extent of the '59's around here. I know of a couple sitting in barns but that's about it. But the good (or bad) thing is that when you take your '59 to a car show, the odds are excellent yours will be the only one there.

To John Q - When you put your steering column back on make sure it's correct so your steering wheel horn rim is not upside down. I did some work on my steering box a few years ago and my horn rim ended up upside down (Plymouth letters are upside down). When I check my steering column insulator I will try and correct that.
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

Those Flowmasters definitely make it loud! It runs a little smoother since I changed the cam. I have yet to see another 59 Plymouth in this area! I've taking it to a bunch of different car shows, plus Grand Rapids has a Metro Cruise in August that thousands of people and cars come to and I haven't seen one yet. Heck most of the time I'm the only Fin car that shows up! Last year I won an award for the class of "post war" at a small Mopar show! Of course my car was the only one there that didn't fit into any other class! Everything else that showed up was an A, B, or C body, so I won by default!!!! Oh well, I'll take it!
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks for the reminder about the steering wheel orientation. I would have forgot!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

----Update-----
After trying for three years to get the Tri-power set up to run i've given up! No matter what I do it has no off idle power, I've gone through the center carb twice and tried a few different things and nothing! It would idle great and full throttle was good but in between sucked!
DSCF3624.JPG
Before
I removed the Tri-power and installed a Edelbrock intake and a Holley 750 vac secondary. WOW! what a difference! It's like a new car
new carb.jpg
after
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury