idler arm HELP!

Got a question? This is the place to ask
matty

idler arm HELP!

Post by matty »

Hi guys, not been on for a while, ive been doing stuff on the 59 when i get round to it, anyways i have a question on the idler arm were it goes on the frame is there a washer to take up the slack between the frame and the idler bush? Problem with me is i pulled this car apart ages ago and there are parts all over the shop, and can you get lowering blocks for these cars for the rear as i have swapped mine for some a body items and it is sat a little too high :D
RICKYMOPAR

Re: idler arm HELP!

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

The original Plymouth steering system idler arm used a rubber bushing. When these were replaced some of the replacements required a spacer washer.There is a roller bearing replacement, also requires spacer washers.
There are lowering blocks but I advise against the use of them, being they reduce the axle travel. Also make sure you have all the trim and bumpers on before you decide the ride is too high. Leaf springs eventually flatten out after being driven for a while. still too high add some weight. I wish I had your problem I have two cars requiring a re-arch of the rear springs, being I like to take everything to car meets. camping and the hundred plus mile over night club cruises.
matty

Post by matty »

Yes i have found the plymouth springsto be weak so thats why i put a body ones on looks more like a gasser now :D But yes like you say the car needs to be built up to make any decision on the ride height although i still think its gonna have to come down around an inch, as for the idler its rubber bushed and i put a large washer in there to take some slack not too sure about it? as its been apart so long i ams sure it will come tobether!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Tom Fox tells me his Belv cvt has lowering blocks, mine DEFINITELY does, but I hope to get rid of them when I put my replacement springs on this summer.
tomf

Post by tomf »

Au contrair Roger, I do not have lowering blocks on my convertible.

Tom
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

After wasting $40 shipping wrong springs back to Andy Bernbaum - I had springs installed in Baltimore for $109. The car sat like Rogers and deove like an empty dump truck! I took it back and they de-arched the springs (no cost) to a lower height and the car rides perfect!

We have two spring shops in Batimore - you should check around your area for a spring shop - there are many for trucks and cars always break springs!

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

My apologies, Tom. Evidently I mis-understood something you said in Ellensburg!
matty

Post by matty »

I dont need springs i put higher rate barracuda ones on off a 340s, its just a bit too high!
The origional springs i find are far too weak and putting a body items on is a very simple mod they are a better spring, even if your plymouth springs have been retempered i would imagine when you get some weight in the back its gonna sag! :shock: