1959 Sport Fury Steering

Got a question? This is the place to ask
kenmorton

Re: 1959 Sport Fury Steering

Post by kenmorton »

Roger: It is called an insulator, but to some people may call it a bushing. It is a thick rubber piece that goes between the steering shaft and the steering box.

I really need to get a Shop Manual

Ken
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

Roger, not sure my last reply went through. This is a thick rubber piece that goes between the steering shaft and the gear box. That's about the best description I can give. I need to get a Shop Manual for this car.

Ken
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Here's the pertinent page from the shop manual, courtesy of Roger Howard! Click on the image to see the full-size version.
steering.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

After following this topic closley and since everything was readily accesable I decided to take a look and see if I needed to replace the rubber Insulator in Reddie, most other makes call it a rag joint. It cuts down on the vibration coming to the steering wheel and prevents metal to metal contact. It fits into and over a toungue and groove joint just above the steering box. It's actually called a Steering Shaft Insulator. Gary Goers Part # 24B. $10.65. I really needed to replace the Steering Column Floor Seal #521. $35.00 and Steering Column Seal #333. $20.00 so I went all the way to take a look. Mine was OK except for a small split but I'm going to replace it anyway. If you order the #521 Floor Seal Gary wants you to send him the old core, I'm assuming it's the old seal and the metal plate that bolts to the floor. You will probably also need a Steering Tube Insulator that fits over the steering box hub and into the end of the outer column. Part #485. $10.25. I had one and haven't the faintest idea where it came from. Sometimes it pays to be a packrat. Add 15% for return shipping and sent a note and a check to:

Gary Goers
37Amdahl Lane
Kalispell, MT. 59901

Don't bother to try calling, it's actually faster to just send the order.
Please forgive my spelling.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Oh, by the way, everybody with a 1955 and later MOPAR needs to have a Gary Goers Catalog. It's been updated with new items and there is a new price list. $5.00 plus 15%. Thank God for Gary, otherwise we would be SOL.
Dick.

Gary Goers
37 Amdahl Lane
Kalispell, MT. 59901
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Here's the old catalog -- and, a note from Ron about Gary's webpage. He apparently wants to enable ordering online, but it looks like he's not quite there yet:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1174
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

No luck finding a rubber steering shaft insulator. I have tried:
Antique Desoto Plymouth (parts4u)
Andy Bernbaum, Newton, MA
Atlas Motor Parts, Carson, CA (number is disconnected)
Clester's Auto Rubber Seals Inc, Cleveland, NC
Steel Rubber 800-544-8665
Lares Cor;
Kanter Auto Products, Boonton, NJ
Roberts Motor Parts, Westbury, MA

Spoke to allot of very nice people. Some even asked me to hold while they checked with other vendors.

I will keep trying. There has to be a few on a shelf somewhere.

Ken
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Ken - Look at my post of 4/28, Gary Goers has them.
Dick.
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

Dick: Thank you for your diligence. I was looking at Gary's catalog last night and didn't see what I needed. Then earlier today I thought if anyone has it, he would. Sent him an e-mail this afternoon. Haven't heard back. But you are correct, the only way I made contact in the past was to just send the order. Now with the P/N and cost I will do that.

Thanks again for taking on this challenge.

I will let you know the outcome.

Ken Morton
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I see the item in discussion there in Gary's catalog, however it doesnt't "ring a bell " with me.
I do remember that, at the far end of the the steering shaft, there was a slot cut into it, which fits over a "tab" in the steering gear. There was also a strip of copper, and a rubber "sock"/ "boot"...whatever. This appears to be the item you all are seeking.
Am I correct? (Too bad it isnt mentioned in the 1959 Plymouth Parts Book!)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Yes Roger, you are almost there, the power steering box has a short shaft with a slot in it, the steering wheel shaft has a flatened end that fits into the slot, the rubber isolator (bushing) fits over the flatened end and into the slot as a vibration dampner (same as a Rag Joint), then the roll pin holds the two together, the sock you refer to fits over the hub on the steering box and inside the outer shaft cover, then the clamp is tightened over all this at the end of the cover, all of this besides reducing vibration has something to do with also insulating everything electrically (I think, not sure). The only thing shown in the parts book is the sock/rubber isolator, it's very frustrating, also missing from the parts/service manuals is the sequence of how the parts are laid out at the steering wheel end of the column, i.e. snap rings, washers, springs, etc. etc. If anybody knows the sequence please let us know. I got to tell you guys a parts car is a wonderful thing. I'm continually amazed at how many parts were missing or were wrong on Reddie and the parts car has saved the day and saved a ton of money. I took the power steering setup out of my parts car and there was no isolators of any kind, although the rest was all there, go figure.
Dick.
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

That's Weird! I just ordered one a couple of weeks ago from Andy Bernbaum! Did they say they're out or didn't they know what you're talking about? It's part # S141 it's called a "Steering Gear Tube Insulator"
Heres a link http://www.oldmoparts.com/s.htm
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I duno, I ordered all I needed from Gary Goers.
Dick.
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

re: Andy Bernbaum: I called and he just said he didn't have it, as in a matter of fact and didn't offer any explanation. Unlike some parts supply houses in the South that actually checked around. However, this may be the first for any of us, Gary Goers e-mailed me with the P/N and cost. I had already fax'd and mailed my order along with my check. Great people to do business with!

Hope he out lives me and my cars.

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions and PDFs ! That has been a great help.

Ken Morton
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

It would appear that ANdy Bernbaum and SMS are cut from the same cloth...both run hot or cold, inexplicably. Frustrating, to say the least. SEnd your business to the man who Delivers!