Coming up for air

Your banter here!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Coming up for air

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

guys.... I can't do handstands.....sorry for the disappointment,,,,but I can do the splits though......

If the dumpster isn't moved soon...we can all send you some come-a longs to help move it! I think 10 or 12 should do it....
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dumpster's gone - cement poured! Good thing -- supposed to rain tomorrow. The concrete will need a good 3-4 days to set up before framing begins, it's 11" deep at the garage edge!
IMG00265.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Just wanted to say I hope you can afford to have the existing hipped roof design extended to meet your new dimensions. ANything else is gonna look like "an addition". But I know the reality of budgets and available dollars . :)
Roger, it looks like my construction workers have struck a compromise! It's not possible to extend the roof at the same angle and get a garage door in the new extension; but, we don't have to go the flat roof route either.
IMG00280.jpg
Excuse the poor photography, through the screen
IMG00279.jpg
Tony and Tuan, my most excellent construction dudes
IMG00281.jpg
IMG00282.jpg
IMG00283.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dan,
I know a little about building costs, and I realised that the route youare taking is the least expensive.

My original thought was for them to essentially "stretch" the garage to accomodate the addition. You would have ended up with a section of roof ridge, rather than the existing 4-cornered point. Such a designwould have required more roofing to come off and get patched, and a technique called "overframing". Such a project requires a bunch of complex angle cuts on rafters..The end result would have been someting something that looks "original", not added on, but a larger bill.
Keep the progress pix coming!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Quite right, Roger. I didn't want to rip off the existing roof, to keep enough height for a garage door at the extended boundary. The cost would be prohibitive for me, although it would have been the best solution. This is an acceptable compromise, I think.

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Absolutely acceptable, Dan. I only wnated to clarify my observations.
keep "Fury" ously building!
Faulkner

Faulkner safely ensconsed!

Post by Faulkner »

I brought Faulkner home today -- swept up the sawdust, nails and wood chips long enough to get him in. Got lots of horn-honking on the way from Philly to Upper Darby! The roof underlayment is on, just shingles, siding and garage door and we're done.
IMG00289.jpg
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Hi Dan,

Inquiring minds want to know:

Will it be a 10' garage door?

Will there be a side entrance door?

And lastly- what's up with the Acclaim?

I finished my almost 31 year tour of duty with the
Feds this week so I am officially retired!

Perhaps I can now read and post on the forum!

I can appreciate your financial woes now with just 56% of my salary
to look forward to in retirement. I have already had a blown hot water pipe and
Nyles the dog forced me into fixing his invisible fence $$$ since he kept leaving his yard.
He already nipped the $1,6000.00 King Charles Spaniel out front - I can afford to fix the
fence but not replace the neighbor's dog!

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

savvy59 wrote:Hi Dan,

Inquiring minds want to know:

Will it be a 10' garage door?
Yup! You nailed it.
savvy59 wrote: Will there be a side entrance door?
Right again -- the fence on the left of the addition will be turned to meet the corner. There's a side door there to enter the yard.

With the lawnmower. :x Things I forgot about living in the 'burbs...
savvy59 wrote: And lastly- what's up with the Acclaim?
I'm foisting it on my nephew as a "birthday present". I'm shopping soon for something with a bit more 'cred...
savvy59 wrote: I finished my almost 31 year tour of duty with the
Feds this week so I am officially retired!

Perhaps I can now read and post on the forum!

I can appreciate your financial woes now with just 56% of my salary
to look forward to in retirement. I have already had a blown hot water pipe and
Nyles the dog forced me into fixing his invisible fence $$$ since he kept leaving his yard.
He already nipped the $1,6000.00 King Charles Spaniel out front - I can afford to fix the
fence but not replace the neighbor's dog!
The Bailster fortunately is fenced in all the way around with a real fence -- not that it stops the groundhog from traversing yards, and getting the hair on Bailey's back to stand at attention. To say nothing of his barking... Remind me again why we have animals?

Glad you're back, Curt. Keep those cards and letters coming.

Dan
Faulkner

It's coming together...

Post by Faulkner »

...New shingles are a perfect match!
IMG00293.jpg
IMG00292.jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Looks like Faulkner has a nice nest now! But it's spring time...no time to be sleeping in a shaded garage! Get up and at em!

There has to be a burger drive in neaby for him to park in a stall and be ogled at!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

Very nice Dan. Looks like Baily and Faulkner will be content.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Three's the charm... I guess. The fiber-cement siding I wanted -- in the color I wanted -- was out of stock; I picked again, and that, too, was unavailable.

Finally, the siding arrived -- and went on. Not much to do now, except fix the fence and hang the security light. The garage door opener is in and working, and the switches for the doors are already tied into the security system.
IMG00317.jpg
On small problem, however -- the cement floor is level out four feet, but I had them bring the addition out five feet -- onto the ramp. Unfortunately, the ramp has a slight left to right slope, and the door doesn't come flush with the ramp. I suggested a cleat on the door (this was the solution on Sansom Street), but he doesn't want to do that -- he wants to apply bonding cement to make it level, with two weeks of no traffic until it cures.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Here I've highlighted the four foot floor extension, and the additional foot I had them bring the enclosure out...
Untitled.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Slabwork is physically demanding, and preparation and forethought are crucial, as cement is "forever".
You haven't shown us the overhead door in its' closed position, so we don't know how much of a gap is left. I can understand his desire to make the concrete as "right" as possible. Will he guarantee that bonding cement will be the same color/ tint as the new slab? What if they age differently?
If the gap isnt too big, I vote with you, add a tapered piece to the door. They make some pretty big rubber gaskets for door bottoms too.
I could send you pix of my 1960-vintage garage. The apron has cracked and portions settled due to poor preparation, and the un-eveness bugged me to the point whee I bought a bag of mortar mix and bridged over the gap and height difference. The new mortar is bright white, whereas the apron is old dirty cement.
Had I cared enough, I coulda mixed some lampblack into the wet mortar, but it's not that important to me.
And at the point where the door meets the garage slab, there is a high spot, leaving gaps at both edges, so the dirt and leaves blow in.
PICT0022.JPG