1959 Sport Fury Steering

Got a question? This is the place to ask
duggar

1959 Sport Fury Steering

Post by duggar »

Do all 1959 Plymouths have loose steering. I have replaced all the front end parts in my 59 and it still feels loose. Maybe the Corvettes I have owned have spoiled me. Anyone have pointers on how to tighten the steering or what I need to rebuild?
Dick Koch

Re: 1959 Sport Fury Steering

Post by Dick Koch »

Not only 59 Plymouths but all Chrysler Products have what you might call loose steering, that is, a very light touch to make the car move from side to side or turn a corner. It's the nature of the beast. If you have a lot of play in the steering wheel, that is, the wheel moves quite a bit from side to side and the car does not respond you can adjust the steering. On the top of the steering box is a large nut with a slotted adjuster in the middle of the nut. Loosen the nut and tighten the adjuster a little until the play is gone, you might have to do it several times, do not tighten it too much. Dont forget to tighten the Big nut after you have it like you want. If you have a maintenance manual look adjusting sterring up.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
duggar

Post by duggar »

I will try that. Thanks for the tip.
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

I just had that same problem after my front end rebuild. The guy tried to adjust the box but it didn't help. turns out the the steering shaft insulator bushing was shot.
IMG_1445.jpg 3.jpg
http://www.oldmoparts.com had them for $7.50, made a big difference! I thought I was going to have to replace my steering box but this completely fixed it.
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Mine has "touchy, light" steering too. You gotta really focus on steering, can't look around too much, actually not at all. Mine did improve greatly though after I installed new shocks and radial tires, but still could be better. Never touched the adjustment on box; afraid it might make it worse, but definitely will check into steering shaft insulator.
duggar

Post by duggar »

I think I will try that also.
duggar

Post by duggar »

What does it entail to change the insulator bushing? Is it a big deal or relatively simple?
59$avoy

Post by 59$avoy »

It's pretty easy! You have to remove the steering wheel and unhook the wiring harnesses from the column ( there is a spring, some washer and a spacer that goes in the bearing under the wheel keep those in order). Then there is a clamp in the engine compartment where the column meets the steering box- loosen that. Next unbolt the clamp that holds the column to the dash and slide the column off the steering shaft. The steering shaft is held to the steering box with a roll pin, this is where the insulator bushing is. Use a punch and drive out the pin and the shaft will come loose. make sure you mark which way the shaft was into the steering box, if you put it back 180 degrees off your steering wheel will be upside down! If you have anymore questions feel free to send me a PM.
Heres a link to the forward look forum with some pics
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... 19&start=1
Durke
Durke

59 Savoy and 59 Fury
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

59$avoy wrote:I just had that same problem after my front end rebuild. The guy tried to adjust the box but it didn't help. turns out the the steering shaft insulator bushing was shot. IMG_1445.jpg 3.jpg http://www.oldmoparts.com had them for $7.50, made a big difference! I thought I was going to have to replace my steering box but this completely fixed it.
Perfect timing!! Just received a call from my mechanic late this afternoon. He said he has the steering box out but thinks it needs an insulator sleeve. I saw this posting last night. I will contact Andy Bernbaum first thing tomorrow morning.
Anybody have a picture of this page in a Shop Manual??

Thanks for your help.

Ken Morton
59 Fury 4 door Hardtop.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am not sure what is meant by insulator sleeve. Years ago when I had my steering gear out for rebuild, I noticed a rubber insulator (much like a sleeve) at the far end of the steering shaft. Without this, the horn won't function. Could this be the sleeve under discussion?
I have a set of three 1959 Plymouth Service Manuals...one of them delves into the topics of Steering, and separately, Coaxial Steering. There are exploded views, and directions, but to be honest, I do not truly understand the technical stuff. If I could be instructed how to post the appropriate pages, I would be happy to do so. As far as I can see, none of the views shows an insulator sleeve.
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

I called Andy Bernbaum this morning. He doesn't have the Steering Shaft Insulator.
Any suggestions of other sources??

Thanks!

Ken Morton
kenmorton@comcast.net
59$avoy wrote:I just had that same problem after my front end rebuild. The guy tried to adjust the box but it didn't help. turns out the the steering shaft insulator bushing was shot. IMG_1445.jpg 3.jpg http://www.oldmoparts.com had them for $7.50, made a big difference! I thought I was going to have to replace my steering box but this completely fixed it.
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

I have the same problem with my 59 Fury. Received a call yesterday from my mechanic that I need a steering shaft insulator.
Called Andy Bernbaum first thing this morning but he does not have any. Any suggestions regarding other sources??
Trying to get this ready for Carlisle.

Thanks!

Ken Morton
kenmorton@comcast.net
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I wonder if these guys can help?

http://www.larescorp.com/

Or these guys...

http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/index.html

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

If someone could post the P/N for this item, I will try to locate one (or more).
I simply don't know what part you are discussing...a sleeve, a bushing, a seal?
-roger-
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

Thanks Dan for providing the two leeds. Sent both an e-mail already. Also contacted a few old sources by e-mail earlier (hope they are still in business) and there is a place in California I will try tomorrow.

I will let you know how I make out.

Ken