ragtops cvt

eBay is where to find that elusive part!
rogerh

ragtops cvt

Post by rogerh »

Ragtop's Sport Fury convertible and parts wagon are back on Ebay. He explains he had to clarify the ad, stating the wagon and cvt are a package deal. Two days left, no bids.
wheelcoversforall

Re: ragtops cvt

Post by wheelcoversforall »

I was wondering if anyone knows much about Ragtops 59 SF Convert in CO (other than the photos) - I remember reading some of the posts, but can't find much recent on the forum. Is it really a SF? Is there a SF engine in all of that or just the one with the Suburban? Any thoughts on what it is worth? Obviously, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay, but I don't know much about converts and I'm wondering if anyone who knows more than me thinks this is a basketcase or not - for the starting bid. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Jeffrey,
Forgive me for not remembering, but are you the fellow with several FL cars..I made your acquaintance at Carlisle 2-3 yrs ago?
I Emaialed Ragtop. He said he HAD a buyer for his car, for whom he was going to restore it, buy Ragtop says the guy was "pulling his leg" so the car is/was bck on eBay.
I will study the photos again, and comment here in a bit.
wheelcoversforall

Roger, you are correct - we met at Carlisle a few years back, and I've got a few De Sotos (56-58) and a 59 Belvedere 2 door sedan. I got an email reply from Ragtop and he states the car has the original engine, but I don't know how to confirm this or that the car is a real SF. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hey Jeffrey,

It is very difficult to confirm it is a real Sport Fury but the VIN would be proof if they didn't mess with it. The trim is SF for sure and it has the owners plaque on the glove box door that was a SF only item too. If I would live closer I'd go to Colorado Springs to look at the car and take it home if it is as good as he says. And I hope to see you again this year at Carlisle! I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.

Ron Keij
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The VIN will tell all. It is located on the firewall lip. Look for the numbers to read
M29----------There were no bids on the car, probably due to the high minimum bid.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Jeffrey - I was at a local car show tonight and ran into one of the car guys thats real friendly with Russ Housen. He said Russ recently sold his 59 SF Convertible with a 318 CI engine for $65K. I know that is what he was asking (sold because of divorce). I saw the car personally a couple years ago and it was easily a #2, very nice plus Russ is a perfectionist. I think the price Ragtops is asking is reasonable especially if the Station Wagon parts car comes with it. If I had the money and a different wife I would buy it. Not many left and even if you had to spend $20 to $30K you would still be ahead. Give it a go, the worst you can do is relist it. Good luck.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Jeffrey,

Here is some information from the 59 service manual:

The VIN on the Sport Fury should begin with M29 and the engine serial number should read ML361....... if it has the Golden Commando 395 or MP8.......... if it has the 318 engine.
The engine number for the 361 is stamped on the right side of the cylinder block between the coil and distributor. For the 318 you can find the number on the left front face of the cilynder block.
So according to the VIN it is a real Sport Fury build in Evansville and with a unknown engine.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
wheelcoversforall

Thanks for all of your help and the information and opinions - I'll let you know what transpires when I know more.

Is there a list somewhere of what originally came 'stock' with the Sport Fury option? I assume that the swivel seats and the side and deck lid trim as well as the dash plaque - anything else that was a 'standard' part of the package? Maybe I should just get a '59 dealers manual to help clarify?

This is really a great group of people.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Here you go!
DSCF0176.JPG
Standard equipment table
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
wheelcoversforall

Thanks a bunch for the continued help - I hope your car is coming along well, I've heard a lot about it.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential