Can't get'er started

Got a question? This is the place to ask
savvy59

Can't get'er started

Post by savvy59 »

Well the 600 Edelbrock is now installed on my 1976 - 318 and it will not start.

I have a ASCE mechanic working on the car and he believes I am lacking vaccum because of sitting so long (over 1 year and not being started).

We added some oil to the cylinders and down the intake. We used gasoline down the carb and did have the car fire one time for about 10-15 seconds.

Plugs look good. Plenty of spark and plent of fuel - just won't start. Gas still not pumped up to the carb - but I have always had this problem.

Going to try some fresh gas since even the gas we are using in the carb is over a year old. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Check the bolt torque on the intake manifold, Curt. At least, that was the source of my vacuum leak (and, poor running) problems.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Thanks Dan I will add that to my list of to do's.

It seems it is always 1 step forward - two steps back for me.

I also ordered a 1" spacer block made by Mr Gasket for carb to intake for heat problems in the past.

I found it cheapest at Amazon.com - Go figure! I also get free shipping from them - so all around a good deal.

Curt
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

not suere what you mean, plenty of fuel A full tank out back? Or it is getting to the carb (faulty fuel pump, plugged line, clogged filter in tank)-
keep us informed!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

What I meant to say is that we have been dumping fuel down the carb a bit at a time to get the car to fire and hopefully draw enough vaccum to get the carb filled by the fuel pump.

It has always fired in the past by dumping fuel in the carb - this time we get nothing at all - except the 1st try.

Thanks for the suggestions - I got my work cut out for me as I really want to get tjis car running before Carisle.

Curt
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

My suggestion:
Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor, (taking appropriate safety precautions with fuel spills), and crank the starter.
If you get no spurts of fuel, it is posible your fuel pump has lost its prime. As a remedy, try attaching a funnel to the fuel line and pour fuel back into the line.
Hopefully you haven't changed gas caps to a non-vented type.
While the fuel line is disconnected, you might find a way to blow back into the supply line, to dislodge anything on the pickup screen in the tank
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Its the weekend again, but I see your region is getting bad storms so maybe you can't work on your car.
Pouring fuel down the carb doesn't increase vacuum, of course, but I understand what you are trying to do.
Since the car has always had fuel delivery problems, I truly think your best bet is to clean/replace the filter at the tank.
Evidence points to the fuel pump has lost its prime.
Maybe the pump has failed completely. If you perform the steps I outlined in my previous post, you will know what needs attention.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the response. I had the gas tank restored by the RENU process and the filter was replaced at that time. I think that the fuel pump lost its prime for sure - so pouring some gas back down the delivery tube may be the answer. You are also correct that the weather has put a damper on getting much work done. I also spent three days last week in Lancaster PA with my wife and daughter at an amusement park (not all that far from BW and Dan).

I will let everyone know what I find...

Curt
savvy59

Re: Can't get'er started

Post by savvy59 »

5-4-3-2-1-Ignition-Blast Off!!!! I got the 59 fired last night!

Starting fluid was the key this time.
Now I have a 2,000 RPM idle speed that I can't seem to adjust - it must be in the throttle linkage as the idle screw makes no difference!

The car still does not start easily after it was running - could have something to do with the near 100 Degree F temperatures we have right now.

I still need the 1" spacer block installed to stop the fuel from being boiled out of the carb.

May try a bit of cleanup this week as the car is outside the garage right now - Low pressure in the tires, dirt and dust everywhere, but mostly intact. Thanks for all the advice.

Curt
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

starting fluid is great stuff, but I cannot explain why that got your car to keep running, unless there ws some crap in teh line that the fluid somehow dissolved.
Yes, sounds like your linkage needs tweaking, but great news that the car is running once again.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Yes, It was a linkage problem as suspected (large hex head hitting side of carb but hidden from view).
Should get it back together today. Then the cleanup begins.

Thanks for all the help.

Curt