Rear Window Adjustment

Got a question? This is the place to ask
duggar

Rear Window Adjustment

Post by duggar »

I put new weather strips on my 59 SF. The rear windows are now almost impossible to get down. Once you get the window down past the weather strip along the top they go down fairly easy. There must be an adjustment for the window requlator so they don't fit so tight against and into the top of the window channel. It seems that the weather strip is holding the window so it won't go down.
Anyone know if there is an adjustment to the rear window regulators?
It is hard to explain this but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about.

Thanks
Chuck
tomf

Post by tomf »

I have the same problem with my SF, even after 13 years. At the beginning of each season I put a light film of grease inside the rubber channel. The rubber is so pourous it wants to stick to the window frame. I use white lithium grease but you could use vaseline of even liquid soap.

Try this first and if not successful you may try some adjustment with the window.

Tom
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

If I have my information correct, originally our 59's had "flocked" weatherstripping...the rubber had a factory coating that made it look and feel, well, "furry". The "fur" kept the rubber from gripping the chromed window frames.
Again, if I am correct, Gary Goers has started offering flocked weatherstripping.
I don't believe there is any way to apply flocking to the plain repro w/s.
moparwagon

"Up Stops" for windows

Post by moparwagon »

My Suburban doesn't have these, but according to my service manual, there are two "Up Stops" adjusting screws about an inch or so below the top of the door panel. There should also be two "Down Stop" adjusting screws near the bottom of the door panel. I have the fuzzy top channel and haven't had a problem with the glass sticking up there.....yet.
1959 2 Dr Suburban under construction
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thank you for answering his Specific question..yes, the stops are adjustable. Of course you must first remove the backseat, and then the cardboard "finish" panel.
Removing the rear seat is a bit of a challenge if you've never done it before.
duggar

windows

Post by duggar »

They are getting easier the more I roll the windows up and down. I will just leave it alone. Thanks for the advice.
tomf

Re: Rear Window Adjustment

Post by tomf »

I have now solved the sticky roof rail weather strip problem that made if difficult to roll the quarter windows up and down. Dan had mentioned that Gary Goes had the weather strip in one piece and flocked. I have purchased and installed these and they look and work perfect. I have the earlier type that screws in.

Here is Gary’s email to me:

Hi Tom,

The set is $195 plus $10 shipping. Please be aware, many '59 car had a precurser to the '60 type roof rail strips. They were a sponge rubber extrusion on the front half over the door glass and solid rubber extrusion on the rear half. The strip fit into a stainless molding, not screwed up into the top rail like the earlier type. This type takes a molded piece in the front corner. I have this type, but not flocked and in separate pieces easily glued and mated to each other when installing. So, check for sure which type you have.

Thanks,
Gary
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Tom,
The new "fuzzy" qtr window w/s , is that for your convertible or your hardtop?
tomf

Post by tomf »

They are for the hardtop. I haven't had the problem with the convertible.

Tom
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Gary Goers wrote: Hi Tom,

The set is $195 plus $10 shipping. Please be aware, many '59 car had a precurser to the '60 type roof rail strips. They were a sponge rubber extrusion on the front half over the door glass and solid rubber extrusion on the rear half. The strip fit into a stainless molding, not screwed up into the top rail like the earlier type. This type takes a molded piece in the front corner. I have this type, but not flocked and in separate pieces easily glued and mated to each other when installing. So, check for sure which type you have.

Thanks,
Gary
Tom, can you clarify what Gary meant? I have the steel rails that screw into the roof -- does that mean the flocked set will work in my car, or no? And, is the front corner piece built into the flocked set, or do you still need it?

Thanks
Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
tomf

Post by tomf »

P1000547.JPG
Dan here is a photo of the two types. The one is a metal strip that is put into the grooves in the rubber and then screwed into the roof. This is the type I have and the type that Gary has in one piece and flocked. The other piece is a channel and is is screwed into the roof, then the rubber is rolled and tucked into the channel. He say he has this replacement rubber in two pieces but not flocked. The front piece is extra to both types. My front pieces were in good shape from my original replacement , so I just left them there.
Tom
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

tomf wrote: The one is a metal strip that is put into the grooves in the rubber and then screwed into the roof. This is the type I have and the type that Gary has in one piece and flocked. The other piece is a channel and is is screwed into the roof, then the rubber is rolled and tucked into the channel.
I see. They really aren't interchangeable, then. I have the channel type, not the strip -- so I can't use the one-piece flocked type. Guess I'll have to stick with a light touch of lithium grease...

Dan
tomf

Post by tomf »

I was having difficulty with my SF quarter windows because of my power windows. I didn't like working the motors too hard. It was bump the switch, pull on the window, bump the switch,pull on the window,.........
With manual cranks you can probably get by with the rubber seals you have. If they need replacing and you really want the flocked one piece type, you might look around locally for a pair of the strips so you could mount the rubber. The mounting holes in the car are the same as your channel, as I compared this with the two pieces in the photo above. I only have an extra left strip and also the shipping would be a factor.
Tom
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hi Tom -- I have power windows too. Remember this thread :D

http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopi ... it=bearing

My two-piece weatherstripping is fairly new -- I got it from Gary. So, I guess I'll just stick with it for now.

Thanks
Dan
tomf

Post by tomf »

Hi Dan,

That thread was in June 2004! I have troulble remembering last June!!!!

Tom (I'll be 70 this year) Fox