59 Plymouth Engine Swap

Got a question? This is the place to ask
53619PLF

59 Plymouth Engine Swap

Post by 53619PLF »

I have a 59 Plymouth Sport Fury with its original 318 and torqueflite. I want to preferably put in a period correct 361, or possibly a 383 four barrel with a torqueflite. I don't rule out a stick if I could find the parts. I want to keep the car fairly stock appearing, and use what is there. If I can find a good parts car with all of the drivetrain intact, what are my best options and years and types of cars ?. I would like something that would be fairly straight forward to bolt in, and not require alot of extra work. I would hope by having a complete parts car with drivetrain, that I would have all the parts needed. Can Plymouth, Dodge, or even Desoto work for donor cars ?. What years of each make would be best suited for what I want ?. I want a smooth reliable car with some decent power, but want to keep it as close to original as possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I hate to see this go unanswered, and I see you are also posting at FL, so that is understandable.
I am not a motorhead, but I do believe you could use any 1957-63 v-8 from a Mopar passenger car and it would be a reasonably straight-forward swap. After '63, you get into transmission changes.shifting problems, no barking brake, and the like.
Your 318 is a good engine, with a 4v it runs even better.
I don't know where you live, so I don't know if vintage donor cars are available in your area.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

I know a guy who had a 57 savoy that was a flat 6 auto, and he put in a 383 with torquelite from a 62 Saratoga, and he was telling me that it was a bolt in swap with no problems........

Bob
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

For what it worth! Roger is right, the 318 engine with a 4 bbl. carb and dual exhaust is rated at 260 HP. I don't know if you have this setup or not but belive me it's got some pretty good performance. I replaced the original AFB 4 bbl. carb with a new 625 CFM Carter carb it runs smooth as silk and the performance went up dramatically. I'm currently going to Two four bbl. 600 CFM Carter carbs that should put the HP somewhere around 290 HP.
which is 15 HP short of the 361 CI engine with a 4 BBL. I don't plan on using all that power but its nice to know its there if I need it, it's mostly for show anyway. I figured I would save myself a lot of grief going this way.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I dont' think yanking a 6 cyl and replacing it w/ a V-8 is a straight-forward operation. At least you'd have to weld on new engine mounts.
It would be great if a (hard-to-find vintage)361 or 383 would replace a 318. The mounts that bolt to the engine differ from 318 to 361, but the frame mounts MIGHT accept either engine. So if you find a vintage engine, make sure you get the mounts which bolt to THAT engine.
Wish I knew more on the subject...
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

hi Roger, as i told Tim Baker, the originator of this thread, that guy i know told me he used a 383 with torqueflite from a 62 Saratoga and it bolted in with no probs, the car he had was a 57 Savoy, i will see this guy when the cruise nights start, so i will ask him then for more info....

Bob
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thanks for all the replies. I've got the 318 right now with the 2 x 4bbl and the gold oval air cleaners. It is very tired though and has issues, thats why I am considering trying to find a vintage swap. I am going to have to rebuild one or the other anyway. Doesn't have to be exact year 361 or 383, but at least in that era would be nice. I have already acquired an original Golden Commando air cleaner. I would like to find a parts car with drivetrain so that I have all the pieces I will need.

Thank You
Tim
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Wellcome to the "Tired 318 Club".

I have / had the same problem with my 318, but fortunately there are a couple of ways for you to go. One for example is overhauling your 318. Gary Pavlovich is the man to ask. With very few modifications and a better cam you can get a very good performance out of it. If you consider to go for a 361 then you'll need the motor mounts and also the correct bell housing (if you use the A-466 TF).
There is a thread in show your ride, if you're inerested.
http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopi ... 0&start=75

Good luck!

Stefan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Here is another little detail that I discovered yesterday. The water outlet of the "318 radiator" meets the 361 oil filter.

First picture shows a 350 which I saw in Carlisle this year!

Second Picture shows my 361 with the radiator of my 318.
Radiator 361.JPG
Radiator 318.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oh yeah! I wish I had the kind of memory that held onto all those details. As you may know, I completely rebuilt my Belvedere convertible (with lots of help). It was a 318 car, and I upgraded to 361. Your dilemma with radiator reminded me that the same thing happened to me. To solve the problem, I think I had the radiator shop move the inlet to the other end, but maybe I found another radiator.
More challenging was installing factory a/c. The donor car was a 318 and so none of the bracketry worked, plus I needed a different water outlet fitting. All were difficult to locate.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Your are getting older too Roger, or did you think you are spared? :)
But don't worry we have to flip the priorities - more driving, less working!

Agree?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I will be 52 this June. My 11-yr old daughter says I am not OLD until age 67. Her reponse to the current credit crisis is that we should do away with money altogether and live like American Indians of old.
I definitely agree..work is making me old. I need a break.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

What a smart girl! No doubt about it, but unlike my 7 year old son she is more generous. Last week he called the Plymouth "classic" and as I agreed he completed his sentence "just like you dad". I'm 45 now, what will he call me when I'm 67? I guess I better don't ask. :?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, this thread is generating a lot of traffic on forwardlook.net! Check this out...

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... 22#M126422

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Well guys ill be 53 on Sunday, and while i may not be able to tell you where i was this morning, i can tell you where i was 30 years ago lol

Bob