Time to get real

Looking for something? Post it here!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hey Roger,

We posted at the same time, aren't you supposed to be at work 8)

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote:
sportfury1959 wrote:Well, they may be weak, but they're not old.
Ok, i missed that. Maybe we became simply too heavy? :?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - As far as shocks go you ought to look at the shocks Kanter supplies, they have Gas-Charged, coil over booster and Pleasure ride shocks. If you don't have a catalog go to www.kanter.com to take a look. You can call them for information at 800-526-1096. As for the rear springs adding an extra leaf in some cases raises the rear end 1 to 2 inches. I put new springs (4 leaf) in my red and white SF and then put 2" lowering blocks. It sits fine right now and the few times I had passengers in the back there was no problem with bottoming out.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, a couple of weeks back somebody bumped the Scion while Marie was waiting at a light. No apparent damage, and no injuries -- but it obviously introduced an exhaust leak from the sound of it.

I took it to a local Midas shop, and started chatting it up with a guy there. It turns out he has several classic cars, and once owned a '61 Plymouth -- he says he can tweak the KYB shocks per the recommendation on the Imperial site, no problema (and put in a new exhaust system too, of course).

He called me to say he put a little heat to the Scion exhaust pipe to straighten it, and tightened a clamp -- it's fixed, no charge. I like that!

...so, vacillating back and forth as I am, I think I'm gonna order the shocks Stefan ordered, and beat him to the punch. (Howzat for a dare, Stefan?)

Meanwhile, what do folks think about the shackle idea -- is that worth trying?

Dan

P.S. Ron, in Philly, we don't use cinder blocks -- we throw bodies in the trunk. Have to change them routinely, of course...
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:P.S. Ron, in Philly, we don't use cinder blocks -- we throw bodies in the trunk. Have to change them routinely, of course...
That wouldn't work in the Netherlands, with our climate you would have to change them at least every year :lol: But I have seen pictures of Roger's car after it was lowered and it looks great! Maybe Roger should post some new pictures with the improved look of his car.

And then there is the Dutch guy who disposes bodies in the ocean :evil: Last night people tried to lynch him and almost got somebody else, I hope they find him soon and before the police does. Sorry for this not car related piece of text :(

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote: (Howzat for a dare, Stefan?)
Well Dan,

it sounds good to me! Next October you can compare it!

Stefan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote: (Howzat for a dare, Stefan?)
Well Dan,

I might be wrong, but I don't think so. I believe that this will be the best solution for you! Mostly next October you can compare it!

Stefan
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Be careful with the shackles, Dan. I put longer spring shackles on my '67 Mustang fastback (back in the day) and was pulled over by Wis State Trooper for altering my suspension. No fine, but he gave me a few days to remove them. By the way the trooper was Myron Krieg, father of former Seattle Seahawks QB Dave Krieg (Roger must remember him). Stefan mentioned Gabriels - my Gabriel shocks work fine on my car and I've had them on probably for about 5 years now. I replaced my 4 leaf rear springs with 5 leaf. I think wagons came standard with 5 leaf. My $200 parts car happened to have a set of very good 5 leaf on it (along with a good radiator, transmission,glove box liner, etc) On my orig SF back in '60's I think I broke rear springs at least 3 times. Right now my 4-dr Fury has a broken leaf spring. So 5 is the way to go. What about rearching and adding an extra leaf or dust off the piggy bank and buy a new pair of 5 leaf.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Okay my turn to add my two cents - just catching up after 6 days away with the flu - very nasty this year.

I have to ask this question:

I had new 5-leaf springs installed at a local spring shop. The car sat high and could not be pushed down with all your weight. It rode like an empty dump truck bouncing all over the road in the rear. A well-known spring shop took the car in and de-arched the springs. The results were perfect. The car now sits perfect without shackles and without lowering blocks. I believe the cost was $109 total!!!

Am I the only one that has had this done?

So Dan - my suggestion is add another leaf at a reputable spring shop and have the shop adjust the arch at that time if necessary.

My experience with shackles was not great either. The springs will dearch themselves (especially near the shackle) and find their way back to the same ride height with no improvement for carrying additional weight. I do also agree that Kanter gas-adjust shocks with helper springs would be a great alternative or used in conjunction with the added leaf..

PS The first set of leaf springs from Andy Bermbaum were incorrect for the car and I had to eat the shipping back - they refused to pay even though it was their fault not mine!

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Shocks with coil springs, 5 leaf springs, gas shocks, air ride, there are many possibilities to improve the ride. I just want to add that my leaf springs are also weak but I try to take advantage of this. At the moment I’m planning an air ride system for the rear axle. I’ve already tried this with a pair of air shocks from Gabriel and it works fine. The only problem was that I had to use one of these little noisy air compressors to raise the vehicle and then I had to open the valve in the trunk again to lower the rear end. An air tank and some hidden valves will allow me to control all this from inside. Pictures will follow of course.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote:I went with their recommendation for 59 Plymouth, Stefan -- 343159 for the front, KG5511 for the rear. Not sure where you got the KG4507 part number for the front. Heavy duty?
Prankster, hm? Seems like I'm not the only one :)