Time to get real

Looking for something? Post it here!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

okay, your reply said you didnt necessairly need new mufflers, but now you will have them. I do not have a repalcement radiator for you, so when you go to your radiator shop, be sure to insist on a 3-row radiator, with separte transmission connections.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:...I do not have a repalcement radiator for you, so when you go to your radiator shop, be sure to insist on a 3-row radiator, with separte transmission connections.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by 3-row, Roger. Do you mean the factory radiators are less than that? What is the arrangement of the tubes? I've never seen a radiator apart -- don't really know how the fluid flows through them.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

I've got it from the Forwardlook.net

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... e=1#M32868

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... e=1#M80805

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forum ... =1#M111084

I called KYB in Germany a couple of weeks ago. They knew exactly what KG4507 was and they also told me that this item is not available in Europe (and for an reasonable price). So let's hope Summit's recomendation is the KG4507.

Stefan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Dan,

I just looked at Summit’s page for # 343159. If the picture that is attached to this item # is correct, then it won’t fit on our cars – no way. Dial KYB-KG4507 in the search box and you’ll see the right ones.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Stefan

.... just crosses my mind if there might be a chance of a posssible reason that I deserve this?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yikes, Stefan, they sold me the wrong part, fershur. Back they go.

The KG4507 requires some modification, though:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Springs/install.htm
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oh, I should point out that both pairs of shocks they sold me are rear shocks... At least, I didn't send these to Portugal :oops:

I'm really not anxious to put shocks in myself, and I'm not sure I want the muffler guy to modify them to fit either. Can anyone recommend a set of gas shocks that will just bolt in?

Dan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote:Yikes, Stefan, they sold me the wrong part, fershur. Back they go.
So far the parcel is still at the CO. Well, it seems you are talking serious. I already expected this as a revenge for something I recently wrote on the 59sportfury.net but until now nobody discovered it or thought it was worthy to mention.

I knew that the KG4507 need minor modifications therefore I suggested you to wait until I have my shocks here and installed. As far as I know you can choose between the original Oil-shocks and the KG4507 Gas-a-just shocks. To me the KG4507 appear to be the better choice. Regarding the minor modifications – that is nothing complicated with this. Any shop with a drill in a stand can grind the lower mount very precisely, just don’t do it yourself. If you don’t want to install them yourself then go to any tire shop. They do it all the time and you won’t squeeze your fingers.

Stefan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

sportfury1959 wrote:I knew that the KG4507 need minor modifications therefore I suggested you to wait until I have my shocks here and installed. As far as I know you can choose between the original Oil-shocks and the KG4507 Gas-a-just shocks. To me the KG4507 appear to be the better choice. Regarding the minor modifications – that is nothing complicated with this. Any shop with a drill in a stand can grind the lower mount very precisely, just don’t do it yourself. If you don’t want to install them yourself then go to any tire shop. They do it all the time and you won’t squeeze your fingers.
If you're getting to that anytime soon, Stefan, perhaps you could take pix and tell me how much metal I'll need to remove. That way, I can prepare the shocks ahead of time. I don't want to take the chance that the machine shop will overheat the rubber grommets, as the Imperial site suggests...

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Dan,
A three-row radiator was standard for the V-8's, I would think. To describe one, imagine 20 six-packs of beercans, arranged side by side.
The "core" is a series of flattened rectangular "tubes", held in place by aluminum fins. The top and bottom tanks are soldered into these tubes.
The direction of flow is into the bottom tank and out the top tank. If your tanks are repairable, they will solder them on a new "core". If your tanks are not repairable, you have to go looking for replacement tanks.
IF the KYB shock absorbers sound too complicated, check out Andy Bernbaum's catalog. I do not know what brand he sells, but they are ready to bolt on. I have them on my car. (Note:.They were NOT the cause of the rear end sitting so high...I unbolted them and the car did NOT settle down, so I think that was due to someone modifying the leaf springs.)
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the clarification about the radiator, Roger -- that helps.

I like the idea of going with front shocks from Bernbaum -- that way I don't have to fool with them. The KYB shocks for the rear (where I have the most problems) should fit fine. I think I'll just take the credit for the front shocks from Summit, and order from Andy.

Thanks
Dan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Faulkner wrote:I like the idea of going with front shocks from Bernbaum -- that way I don't have to fool with them.
Sorry Dan, whatever you decide to do, but that doesn’t sound like a worthy argument to me. Why don’t you wait a couple of weeks? Soon when I get the KYB (the correct ones) I’ll start with them and find a solution, or not. Then you decide.

Besides the rear shocks from KYB won’t solve your problem. Your leaf springs are - just like mine - old and weak and therefore they are hanging down when Faulkner is loaded or has more than two passengers on board. The KYB will hold very little against this, will give more stability but won’t lift the tail or give you much more ground clearance. As Dick wrote a little up in this threat, you need air support.

Stefan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

sportfury1959 wrote:Besides the rear shocks from KYB won’t solve your problem. Your leaf springs are - just like mine - old and weak and therefore they are hanging down when Faulkner is loaded or has more than two passengers on board. The KYB will hold very little against this, will give more stability but won’t lift the tail or give you much more ground clearance. As Dick wrote a little up in this threat, you need air support.
Well, they may be weak, but they're not old -- they're from Espo Springs 'N Things, replaced about 4 years ago. I think my options were 4 and 5 leaf, and 4 were recommended for a 318. In hindsight, that seems like bad advice I got. I thought that perhaps I would get longer shackles to help with the height... Is that a bad idea?

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Or, maybe I could borrow some height from Roger... :lol:
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Funny, Dan! I had lowering blocks installed this summer. Now she sits level.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Or, maybe I could borrow some height from Roger... :lol:
You are too late, Roger's car is perfect now :D He had some lowering blocks installed and the height is good now. I have been talking to my friend Andre (59 Desoto) about installing these blocks in his car so he can get rid of the cement blocks he has in the trunk :lol:

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...