For those who want to post their own webpages...

All the news here about the website, the membership, announcements, and the very latest from 1959!
Faulkner

For those who want to post their own webpages...

Post by Faulkner »

Stefan and I have been talking, about the idea that members might want to put there own pictures and web pages up on www.59plymouth.net. It's a great idea -- especially, since now I have unlimited webspace! I created a subdomain to our website -- members.59plymouth.net. Here's what you do:

1) Send me a private email, requesting an account with the username you want, and password.

2) I'll confirm privately that the account has been established.

3) Transfer your pictures to your directory via ftp (more details about how to do this below).

4) If you want to include a picture from your directory right within a post in the forum, use the "Img" button to reference it, e.g.,

Here is a picture of my car:
[ img]http://members.59plymouth.net/dan/mypic.jpg[/img]

(where "dan" will be your account name).

The picture should be no bigger than 650 pixels wide to avoid making the viewer scroll the forum window horizontally. If you don't have a good image manipulation program, Microsoft Paint will do (email me for the details). If you want to link to a bigger picture, do it this way using the "URL" button:

Here is a picture of my car:
[ url]http://members.59plymouth.net/dan/mypic.jpg[/url]

5) The computer savvy reader will recognize, you will be able to store more than pictures in your directory! If you want to create your own web pages, you can do that too.

But you have to know how to make web pages, and have a program that will create them. But if you know how to do that, all you need is a way to get the files to your member webpage -- and "ftp" is the way to do it.

There are several good ftp programs for transferring files (FTP -- File Transfer Protocol). But you can even use Internet Explorer to transfer files. Here's how:

1) Point your browser to your directory with ftp --

ftp://members.59plymouth.net

2) You will be prompted for your username and password.

3) After you log in, the files in your directory will be displayed as icons, just as if you were browsing a folder on your computer.

4) Open the folder locally on your computer containing the files you want to upload, and drag and drop them to the browser window.

That's all there is to it! You can drag and drop in both directions -- it copies to the target, but does not remove from the source. You can also delete files from your ftp directory, by clicking on them once and pressing the Delete key. You will be asked to confirm, and once you do the file will be gone.

I ask that, if you embed (with Img) or link (with URL) a picture into a forum post, that you not delete it. That way, old posts will remain relevant for people who wish to browse them.

If there is enough interest in member web pages, I'll create another link to them on the main page. But by all means, I'm happy to post any and all pix in the Showcase for those who want (when I can find the time!). I may do that anyway from stuff people post in their member pages! (Of course, with their permission.)

Hope this proves to be useful to folk. Let me know how I can help.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Thanks Dan,

I'm on it. It might take some day but I'll try it.

Stefan
Jonesn

Post by Jonesn »

Cool. Now that winter is just around the corner, I may have to to play with doing something like that.
Vrooomm, Dugga, Dugga.