Not a Plymouth and not even a 59

Your banter here!
Ron Keij

Not a Plymouth and not even a 59

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi guys,

I know it is not a Plymouth and not even a 59 but I want to show my wife's new old car to the rest of the world. We just bought her last night and she is a beautiful 1958 Pontiac Chieftain. The car is all original, even the paint is from 1958! The body is solid as a rock and most of the chrome looks great. The engine and other mechanical parts will have to prove their reliability in the near future, the car hasn't been driven for almost 4 years. So she probably needs some preparation before she can try to keep up with the Sport Fury :lol:

Ron and marjo
IMG_0747edit.jpg
this one was taken yesterday in the garage.
IMG_2067.jpg
The first time we saw the car in 2001.
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Man Ron... She's a beut! Congrats to you and your wife on your new baby... Not every day you come across a ride like that! :D
Gary "Zeus" Smith
Four Oaks, NC
'59 Plymouth Savoy
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Love it Ron, those are very rare especially here in Canada.....
Great find!

Bob
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

that's a real nice indian! don't see to many of them, looks like u found an exceptionally solid one too. 8) hope the drivetrain is as nice as the rest of the car. btw, what tranny does it have? powerglide or three on the tree? --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

more fun for Ron and Marjo...!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hey Ron, I just checked -- www.1958pontiac.net isn't registered yet! :P

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

batmobile wrote:that's a real nice indian! don't see to many of them, looks like u found an exceptionally solid one too. 8) hope the drivetrain is as nice as the rest of the car. btw, what tranny does it have? powerglide or three on the tree? --j
We will find out about the drivetrain soon I hope! The car will be here wednesdaynight on a trailer, it hasn't been driven in more than three years and I am a little afraid to start her for the first time. Any tips on what to do and also tips on what we absolutely shouldn't do are welcome!

It's not a three on the tree car but I don't know if it is a powerglide. it is an automatic for sure, I know torqueflite's and powerflite's but I do not know a lot about Pontiac's :lol: Soon enough I will have to learn "Pontiac" though. Have been looking for a nice and friendly 1958 Pontiac forum but so far I haven't found one.

Ron
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Hey Ron, I just checked -- www.1958pontiac.net isn't registered yet! :P

Dan
I guess it will be unregistered for a while too :lol: Somebody told me how much work it is to keep a website up to date and I already have a hard time keeping up with this forum. And besides I think those GM owners aren't as nice as the Mopar guys 8)

Ron
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Ron Keij wrote:
Faulkner wrote:Hey Ron, I just checked -- www.1958pontiac.net isn't registered yet! :P

Dan
And besides I think those GM owners aren't as nice as the Mopar guys 8)

Ron
What???

I beg to differ!!!

Bob
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Ron Keij wrote:

It's not a three on the tree car but I don't know if it is a powerglide. it is an automatic for sure, I know torqueflite's and powerflite's but I do not know a lot about Pontiac's :lol: Soon enough I will have to learn "Pontiac" though. Have been looking for a nice and friendly 1958 Pontiac forum but so far I haven't found one.

Ron
Easy way to tell what trans it has, on the shifter quadrant if its a powerglide it will read PRNDL but if its a Turboglide it will be PRNDGr, the Gr standing for "grade retard"
Being that that car is a US Pontiac, (Canadian ones were Chevs with a smaller Pontiac body) it may read PNDLR or PNDGrR ......

And who says GM guys arent nice??? lol

Bob
BHWINC

Post by BHWINC »

It's going to be a Hydramatic if built in the states, a few came with the 3spd standards but not many..
Stuck In The Past and,,,,,, Trying Like Hell To Stay There!

www.BHWINCVintageAutoParts.com
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Yes youre right, it would be a hydramatic.......

Bob
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Nighthawk wrote: Easy way to tell what trans it has, on the shifter quadrant if its a powerglide it will read PRNDL but if its a Turboglide it will be PRNDGr, the Gr standing for "grade retard"
Being that that car is a US Pontiac, (Canadian ones were Chevs with a smaller Pontiac body) it may read PNDLR or PNDGrR ......

And who says GM guys arent nice??? lol

Bob
Sorry Bob, I think your a nice GM/Mopar guy :lol:

It is a US car, as far as I know it was built in San Diego. Probably was in San Diego until it came to the Netherlands in 1999. My wife is the second owner in the Netherlands and we have the paperwork from the last owner in the US. He owned the car from 1982 until 1999 and kept all bills with the car. A search with Yahoo people finder gave me his current address and phone number and he will get a call from me soon.

The trans is a Hydramatic I guess, the picture of the dash shows no Gr. as you can see in the picture.

Thanks for your info!

Ron
IMG_0763edit.jpg
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Yeah it is a hydramatic, powerglides and turboglides were 2 speeds, that one is a 3 speed.
In those days US Pontiacs were a bigger and fancier car than Canadian ones, which as i said earlier were essentially Chevs with Pontiac sheet metal.very similar to what we called a Plodge which was a Plymouth with a Dodge front end.
Dont know why they did stuff like that in those days either!

Bob
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Also, heres a guy who might be able to answer any questions you have Ron..

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/pontiac_ht ... iac_5.html

Bob