twin spar mirrors

Got a question? This is the place to ask
zook250

twin spar mirrors

Post by zook250 »

hi. can anyone tell me the secret to removing the mirror section from the pedistol part on a twin spar style mirror?

i am having the mirrors rechromed and i have to take them apart without breaking the plastic bushing inside.

any helplwould be much appreciated.

thanks
Curt
wheelcoversforall

Post by wheelcoversforall »

I've gotten them apart by backing off the 'bolt' in the back (points towards front of car) then using that as a 'punch' of sorts to gently drive the pressed in part, out. That said, I've had it work sometimes and other times it doesn't separate using this method. Needless to say, you'll need to use something to protect the 'bolt' head from damage. I'm anxious to hear if anyone has a sure-fire method.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential
zook250

Post by zook250 »

got it about 5 minutes after i posted. i threaded the nut on about 2 threads and hammered it until it started to move. then when it went as far as it could go , i used a punch to get it the rest of the way out. it was fairly easy, i just wasnt sure if i was damaging anything inside the mirror housing, but all went well.

thanks
wheelcoversforall

Post by wheelcoversforall »

Sounds like I just need to be more persistant to get results with mine. Glad it worked.

Jeffrey
She's got good potential