Widest rear tires that fit 59 Belvedere without cutting

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Big Jimbo

Widest rear tires that fit 59 Belvedere without cutting

Post by Big Jimbo »

I am in the process of installing a larger engine in a 59 Belvedere and will need some bigger rubber. I was wondering what other people have found that fits. I was thinking of something like 255/55/16 for the rear. Any suggestions for the front would also be helpful.
Thanks! :)
59 Belvedere
matty

Post by matty »

Dont know the answer to your question but i would like to know the answer myself as i am going to fit a stroked 400 b block in my 59. :D
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Jim,

The size of the stock rims on some cars is 5”x14” on others it is 5.5”x14”. The rims on my car are the original ones (14”) but I’ve “opened” them to 7” width. I’m pretty close to the edge now (without cutting).

- The front rims are “opened” with a negative offset - the rim goes more to the outside, otherwise it would touch the upper control arm. Also the tire would touch the inner fender, when the steering wheel is fully turned to one side.

- The rear rims have a positive offset – the rim goes more to the inside, otherwise the tire would touch the fender.

The most challenging thing was to widen the rims that they fit over the callipers. Since you want to go for 16” rims that won’t be a question for you, but you have to consider another problem. Our cars have leave springs on the rear and that means the tail pushes sideways over the rear axle when you drive curves. An offset of 1” to 1.5” to each side is easily possible and then the tire touches the fender or fender-skirt. To make it safe you might need a Panhard-bar.

Let me hear about your progress!

Stefan
Rims.JPG
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

It is hard to answer this question because there are a few items missing from your request.

Do you plan to change the rear in the car?

Do you plan to go to a custom wheel since you have upgraded the motor and the car is no longer original?

I said this in another post, but

I changed to a 1976 Volare 8 1/4 3:23 Posi-Rear. I used 16 x 7 Centerline Fluted Hawk Rims with 3.5" offset. I mounted 225-55-R16 radial T/A tires for the back and 205-55-R16 tires in the front (same rim size).

There is still room left in the rear side to side, but since my car was lowered the problem came when you tried mounting the rim and tire to the car. There was just enough room to fit the tire between the car fender and drum.

I hope this helps.

Curt in MD
wheel.jpg
16 x 7 Centerline fluted hawk rim
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Big Jimbo

Post by Big Jimbo »

Thanks for your replies, Curt and Stefan! I am going to install a Dana 60 in the rear but would like to keep a relatively stock appearance. I was thinking of using a 15 or 16 inch chrome wheel, but I sure like the looks of those Centerline wheels! It sounds like the 7 inch wide wheel will be the right size.
Jim
59 Belvedere
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Jim,

Just to think a few years back when I went from stock 14" rims to 16" Centerlines the car looked like it had all rims and no tires. Not the case any longer with these huge wheels I see everywhere (Barrett/Jackson auctions).

I must say I love the look and I have had them about 7 years. Clean simple design that is easy to keep clean.

Good Luck with your restoration.

Curt in MD.
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello,

There’s one thing I want to add. Curt is right, it’s possible to use wider rims on the rear if you don’t use the original „cone style“ hub caps. They protrude the rims and take also some clearance away.

Stefan