removing a vent window

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

removing a vent window

Post by Faulkner »

My driver's side vent window needs to have the pot metal soldered, it's cracked in at least one place. I'm attempting to remove the vent window, but the bracket mounted on the bottom of the window track prevents the vent from being lifted directly up and out.

The window track is one of two pieces that descends into the door. There's also a piece at the front of the vent that descends. If I pull the vent up part way, I can get the front piece to clear the door. I'm guessing that I can get the bracket on the window track to come out of the door if I then turn the vent by 90 degrees. It's got me a little spooked though -- the front piece is then dangling directly over the curve of the painted door surface.

Have I got it right, should that be what I'm doing? Obviously, I can take pains to cover and protect the door.

Dan
MikesMotorParts

Re: Removing a Vent Window

Post by MikesMotorParts »

I´remember it was about 1 year ago when I removed the vent and side windows, know there was a problem with the front vent frame move out of the door. I´ve removed all the brackets and stops from the side window guide and the vent upper front frame. But no chance to get the vent window out of the door because it´s blocked by the bracket on the side window channel wich is mounted by 2 rivets to the vent frame.
I decided to drill the rivets out. Don`t know if that was the right way,
but then the vent slides out easy.
Faulkner

I just gotta vent here

Post by Faulkner »

Well, I can see that what Mike recommends is the right way to do it -- and, I will for the passenger side, when I remove to replace the window channel. But, because my driver's side frame was already broken, I was able to pull it up enough to swing 90 degrees, and then work the bracket out.

Man! There's a hundred parts to these windows! The rubber is in great shape, and I was able to take apart everything without any breakage. Except, for what's already broken:

So, here's the million dollar question: Should I try to get the chrome-plated pot metal soldered, or should I look for another piece? The chrome on this is in really good shape....

Does anyone know of a good solder shop that can do this kind of work?

Does anyone have a driver's side frame in good shape they would consider selling?

adTHANKSvance,
Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I too am looking Forward to any sensible replies to your post, Dan. I just had my cvt canvas installed, but due to window alignment problems and weatherstrip that was maybe too fat?, ...a few dozen closes of the drivers door has caused my drivers side vent window frame to break at the top. I will be researching ways to weld/braze/solder this frame. It is a convertible-only frame...very hard to find a replacement.
San, you should be able to find another hardtop frame...any sort of welding/brazing/etc will ruin your existing chrome plate.