Autochoke troubles on 2 barrel carb

Got a question? This is the place to ask
4dHT

Autochoke troubles on 2 barrel carb

Post by 4dHT »

:) Hello all--Wanda is about a month away from going to the body shop.
She is driving me nuts. She won't start. She came home from repairs and started fine about 3 tries but now won't. She will turn over, but will not
"ketch". My body guy came over yesterday and checked the spark with a plug out--my coil is working. My carb has been rebuilt. My engine is the poly 318. I have a new gas tank and new fuel lines. My generator and fuel pump have been rebuilt, I have a new thermostat and my radiator has been recored. She has 12 gallons of gas in her. My body guy Bob feels (and so did my guy Rick, who recently passed away, sad to say) that the auto choke on the 2 barrel carb keeps getting stuck, so Wanda won't start. Right now her plugs are full of carbon and need to be cleaned--points reset-- I will learn how to do that and it will be taken care of--if I keep the 2 barrel it has been suggested I go to a manual choke. Or perhaps go to a 4 barrel.What is making me nuts is that my 60 Dodge Louise has the 2 barrel and poly 318 and the auto choke and that car starts every time!
Agghh! I can't drive the Dodge until I move Wanda!
Anybody else have this problem? Would replacing the choke be at least
a temporary fix? How about dynamite!
Beth Harris.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Holy mackerel Beth,
Since you seem, for the moment, to desire to gloss over the loss of your special friend, I will go along with that and move to the next topic:
Your 2 barrel carb has "auto choke". This is the stock set up, right? the choke rod goes into a little recess in the intake, wherein resides a spring.
I have to ask stupid questions, such as is the spring flexible, or rusted solid, or full of debris, or otherwise not free to do its thing?

Lift the hood.
Remove the air cleaner.
Using a flashlight, peer into the carb. Operate the gas pedal linkage by hand. Gas should squirt into the carb with each movement of the linkage.
If you get gas squirting, fuel delivery is OKay. Dont over-do this, as you will flood the carb. If you do flood the carb, use a pencil to prop open the flap and let the gas evaporate.
Now check to see if the choke closes. Does the butterfly valve close all the way when you jiggle the gas pedal once? If not, you do have a choke linkage problem.
Some people will get another to crank the car while they put your hand over the carb throat..in this way they are the choke.
Have you messed in any way with the plug wire ORDER or distributor timing?
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Beth,

Just to follow through what Roger already stated...

My carb dries up after sitting only about 1 month and you may have a similar problem.

If you do not see feul squirting from the carb when you work the linkage then your carb may also be dry. Many times these cars will not re-prime the carb very quickly just by cranking the motor over. I use a couple ounces of Gas down the carb to get it started. Be very careful and keep your face and hands away in case of any backfires. Also limit the number of times you do this procedure - it can thin out your oil in the crankcase.

Just my two cents.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

sounds like curt that ur accel plunger is no good. my 230 has the same prob, all that i can find at the parts store is pre-55 and 60-up carb kits :roll: . i know i can get one from kanter, but don't feel like spending that much money. i've been using starting fluid, seems to work ok. but if my engine don't start right away, my starter will stay engaged until batt is dead, seloniod sticks (60 model starter, so it has the seloniod/relay on it), that's the only prob i have. but, i just start it to move the car around the yard at the moment, so it works okay.
i have a 600 holey on my 305 chev in my omega, has a manual choke which i leave full open. pump the gas twice, and it starts everytime. good luck --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

what is the cost at Kanter? I cn look into getting u a rebuild kit here in Seattle..the store name is Hagen's Auto, maybe they are on the 'net..
4dHT

auto choke problems

Post by 4dHT »

:) Roger and Curt: Will try what you suggest. I have already tried
starter fluid in the carb. Even set one air cleaner on fire! No go. I think also that the butterfly may be sticking a little. I may have to get a carb rebuild kit, or at least work on the carb to make everything move freely. I have not tampered with wiring or timing. Plugs and wiring are from about a year ago (new) My carb linkage is a bit rusty. I cleaned it off once, but I live about a mile away from a local river and we get a lot of damp air. Also I suspect the guy who previously had the car didn't run it at all except maybe to change the oil. At anyrate I will investigate this weekend, and will let you know what happens. I agree in that the ultimate culprit is that the car sits. Worse thing for any vehicle.
Roger: Rick was sick for about a week, got worse, and I called the ER of the local hospital. His heart stopped and he couldn't be revived.
Since Rick (diabetic since 1990, amputee since 2004) had been a coma for 19 days in 2002, his health had been problematic. I think you
reach a point when your system just can't take anymore. Rick was 51.
Thanks for the sympathy, I am not tryin to make a big deal over it, I know everybody has their own troubles to bear. Beth
4dHT

Autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

Roger, Curt and everyone:
I am not getting gas into the carb. I cannot see any gas squirting into
the carb when I work the linkage by hand. I sprayed carb cleaner on all
linkages the day before yesterday and let it sit for a while. The butterfly works freely. Yesterday I removed the cover of the auto choke and looked at the spring- it is not broken or damaged, has a little rust on one side but otherwise is clean, there is no debris in the surrounding area. The round piece moves freely up and down the choke stem. I also took some gas, about 1/4 full of a soda bottle and poured it directly into the carb. When I started Wanda up she ran for as long as the gas lasted, then died.
I have not had time to clean or gap the spark plugs yet. Is it possible
the fuel filter is plugged already, or the new fuel pump a dud? Or something else?

Beth.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Beth,

If you disconnect the fuel line from the carb and have someone else turn on the ignition there should be fuel coming out of the fuel line. If the fuel sprays out your filter and fuel pump are OK and your carb is the problem.
Of course you need to be careful with spraying fuel and you should put the end of the fuel line in an empty bottle.

My Sport Fury had a carb problem last year, after being stored for the winter the carb dried out and on the first trip it stalled. The first (and only) time this happened to me in over 5 years :D

I ordered a carb kit from Dan and when it arrived I cleaned the carb and put in the new parts within 30 minutes. Fired her up and she ran beautiful again.

Keep us posted!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Beth,

I will start by saying I am not a mechanic - I can just talk from personal experience.

Well the good news is that your car did start. I should have mentioned that it may take you 4 or 5 times with this same procedure before your carb will fill up with gas and work properly.

When the car fires up - keep working (Feathering) the gas pedal (not your face over the carb) but from inside the car. Try to keep it running at fairly high revs to help the fuel pump fill the carb. After several of these attempts your fuel pump should fill up the carb and your car should continue to run.

After several attempts you can look in the carb again and see if fuel is squirting. If yes - the car should fire on it's own. Make sure it is a good squirt and not just dribbles. These cars like lots of fuel!

Don't be afraid to try at least 5 or 6 times. I am sure that is how long it took before my car stayed running this year.

Just how long did your car sit without running?

Good luck - keep us posted.

Curt in Maryland
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
4dHT

Autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

:D Curt: Wanda has been sitting now for about 6 weeks. When I bought the car in July 2005, I had seen her moved maybe 4 times in 4 years.
There was a can of dead carb cleaner under the front seat. Thanks for the 5/6 times info! Will keep everybody posted.
4dHT

Autochoke

Post by 4dHT »

:D Ron: Will try to look at the fuel line next if I don't get anywhere with what Curt suggested. The carb has been rebuilt, but it went to a carb place that didn't specialize in FL, I've heard horror stories from people--not all carb rebuilders the same-- we shall see. I just would like to move
her up and down my driveway and the street before the bodywork guy
gets her, or we get a nice New England blizzard. I don't need the brakes to rust anymore! Beth. I hope things are good with you!
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

i'd say it's one of 2 things: 1- fuel primer/plunger (in the carb) -but it should start w/ starting fluid (which i believe u said didn't work-which makes me wonder)
and 2 the fuel pump/ supply. but it should start and run as long as ur poor gas or starting fluid in the carb. - to prime it, if u have someone to start as soon as u spray, the 1-2 1 second bursts should start it, or maybe 2-3 bursts if u have to run and start it urself (since the stuff dries). it shouldn't backfire through the carb unless it has an ignition timing prob of some sort, or maybe too much spray was applied.? --j
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Beth,
My advice is to follow Ron's advice:
Disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor.
Stick any rubber hose (even a piece of garden hose, or wrap a towel around the open end) onto the end of the line so as not to spray gas all over the place, stick the other end of hose into a can or something, then crank the starter. If you get gas squirting, the problem is with your carburetor.
(I'm gonna speculate that the float inside the carburetor is stuck.)
-Roger-
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

It is possible the fuel pump has "lost its prime", meaning it cannot draw gas from the tank due to air in the fuel line.
Make sure you have a VENTED gas cap (it will be stamped "vented"). THIS IS IMPORTANT..I once drove with a non-vented cap and the suction caved in my tank!
Here is how I prime the fuel pump--- disconnect the line at the carburetor, then using a small funnel, pour gas into the line until it won't take any more, then re-connect line to carburetor, and start the car.
But I don't see how yours could have lost its prime..
4dHT

Autochoke troubles

Post by 4dHT »

:)OK J. & Roger, will try things you suggested this weekend. Right now
its just me. Next weekend may have a friend of Rick's over, he knows
older cars. Will keep you posted! Beth