Camshaft issue

Got a question? This is the place to ask
eroomas2

Camshaft issue

Post by eroomas2 »

I recently changed out pushrods and lifters. The engine hasn't been right since. My mechanic told me that you can't switch out lifters with out replacing the cam, and there is a series of procedures that need to be done to acclimate the cam to the lifters such as running the engine at so many rpms for so much time etc. Of course I've done none of this. Does any body know where I might find a cam?
Dick Koch

Re: Camshaft issue

Post by Dick Koch »

Try this site. I was able to find a NOS oil pump/distributor drive shaft that runs off the camshaft for a 318 engine. Just type in your part number and get an immediate response.
Dick

http://dpmotorparts.com/index.cfm
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
eroomas2

Post by eroomas2 »

Thank you! I don't have the part number, so I went a head and wrote them an email. I really appreciate your help! Thank you :D
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

eroomas2; the cam and lifters need to break in together{new parts to new parts},what was the engine doing before the change out? try contacting engine builders,I am sure it or they can be had. Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
eroomas

Post by eroomas »

My concern was that I did this and then found out that it was a no no. I've driven the car about a hundred miles since I switched out the lifters and the engine seems to be running fine. I'm hoping that I dodged a bullet and the parts will acclimate them selves even though I botched it up. I've heard varying opinions from mechanics, some saying that it will eventually round off the cam, others have said that I should've have a problem right away and I "might' be fine? at least for a while? There is a local machine shop that said they could get me a new cam and lifter set for $410. I don't think it is "New old stock". The guy I bought the car from ; who also rebuilds cars specializes in 50's and 60's mopars said that newly made Cams are not very good and I would be better off waiting and seeing where I am at. That I might be ok. But he also said that I could have problems with metal getting reeking havoc with the bearings. I don't know if I should secure this cam and lifter set encase I need it in the future. or just wait and see. I'm a little concerned because if I do spend the money I want to be sure that it is the right one.