NOS voltage regulator throwing 17.7 volts

Got a question? This is the place to ask
sallysavoy

NOS voltage regulator throwing 17.7 volts

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Morning All,
Sally had a gen light on so i checked all the connections and still the light was on..I found a N.O.S. regulator on evil bay and installed it but now it is throwing 17.7 volts. Is there some way to adjust this. I did polarize it before i started the engine.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
big m

Re: NOS voltage regulator throwing 17.7 volts

Post by big m »

Chances are, it was not NOS after all. I have bought old inventories from dealers that also contained 'take-offs', basically parts that were defective from the factory, or damaged. Most get put back into the original boxes, and shoved into a backroom until someone discovers the stash.

You can try bending the tabs on the voltage limiter coil to make the spring more taught, you may have success, but if not, I'd try to return it to the seller, as it is not worth whatever you paid, if non-functional.

---John
In rust we trust!
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks John ,Thats what i did and napa has them for $60 new.
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Hi All,
ok now to rehash this same problem,After i took her out for her maiden voyage i noticed a little smoke coming from the generator which concerned me enough to check the voltage coming out from the genny and found yet again too many, upwards of 18 volts depending on how hi the revs. My qusetion is, is this normal? Also has anyone got how to instructions on swapping an alternator in place of the genny. Also with suggestions on the donor alternator? oh yeah by the way it has a brand new regulator from napa in it. And i swapped gennys with one i rescued from the salvage yard and same results.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - I have Alternators on two of my 59 Ply. and one on my 60 Desoto. First you need to get a mounting adapter for the alternator, I use a GM (ugh) one wire Alternator because they are so common they can be had anywhere. Disconnect all the wires from the regulator and tape the ends, leave the regulator there for the "look". Run a 10 gauge wire from the post on the alternator to the positive post on the battery and you are done. I purchased a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter from Walmart. The charging rate should be 14 to 14.5 volts. Sometimes it may read a little bit more. I will try to find where I got the adapters and let you know.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - You can buy the Alternator Bracket at: The last one I got from them was in 2009 and I paid $35.00 plus shipping of $7.00.
Dick.

Certified Auto Electric
225 Northfield Rd.
Bedford, Ohio 44146
1-440-439-1100

1-888-597-8278
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks Dick for the info, thats the way i am going to go.
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.