Restoration questions

Got a question? This is the place to ask
wuzfuz

Restoration questions

Post by wuzfuz »

I finally bit-the-bullet and am having our '59 Sport Fury Convertible undergo a body off frame restoration.
Here are my first (of perhaps several) questions/comments:
1) What is the correct color for the 318 cu in engine? Mine is now silver.
2) What is the correct color of the front splash pan and panel between bumper and grill? I've seen both body color and silver.
3) The front brakes will be converted from drum to disk (al la "MOPAR Action" June '05 article).
4) What is the correct color of the carpet inside a red car? Mine was black.
Note: This restoration is being done locally (Wilmington, DE.), and is expected to take 3 to 4 months for completion.
Thanx,
Nighthawk

Re: Restoration questions

Post by Nighthawk »

wuzfuz wrote:.
2) What is the correct color of the front splash pan and panel between bumper and grill? I've seen both body color and silver.
Thanx,
Far as I know,Silver is correct,I think the valence is supposed to be silver too.
grant4405

Post by grant4405 »

the totally correct color is ARGENT, but silver is mighty mighty close. P.S. mine is silver, by the way.
Matthew Keij

Re: Restoration questions

Post by Matthew Keij »

wuzfuz wrote: 1) What is the correct color for the 318 cu in engine? Mine is now silver.
4) What is the correct color of the carpet inside a red car? Mine was black.
1) I also wanna know. I think it's red or silver
2) It's the silver colour. On the Ditzler paint chips i've got it's "Pearl Grey"
59 P's with the valance in body colour are repainted 100% for sure
4) They didn't had black interior in 59, don't know about the carpets. I think black looks the best. Maybe they match the dash colour?

Why are you planning a frame off? On the pics in the showcase your car looks beautifull. A car to look at like this: :shock:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I would agree that the 318's correct color is silver, with red aircleaner and red valve covers. The hood springs are red too. Inner fenders are semi-gloss black. Underside of hood is dove grey. Valnace looks best to me in Argent, to match the wheel rims.
tomf

Post by tomf »

I agree with Roger on everything except the valve covers. My research says they should be silver, but not the same as the engine. The correct engine paint is available from Chrysler. I used the argent paint on my valve covers, same as the under valance and wheels.
Tom
Guy

Post by Guy »

Not many 59 Plymouth's in the UK but mine has red valve covers - they look original, so I'd tend to agree with Roger.
My front engine mounts are painted the same red.

Guy Salmon