door handles

Got a question? This is the place to ask
martin59

door handles

Post by martin59 »

How do the door handles and window handles come off is there a clip do I need a special tool
Dick Koch

Re: door handles

Post by Dick Koch »

Martin - In the search box above type "door handle removal" and it will bring you to all the discussions about this subject. Click on the red letters for more information.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

To answer your question more immediately, no, you don't have to have a special tool, but it sure helps!
The interior handles are held in with a clever spring clip and slot. The slot is in the operating shaft, and the spring clip is attached to the handle. The spring clip has to be pushed or pried with something, and kept out of the slot while you pull the handle off. As Dick recommends, check out the links.
I admit the pictures I posted years ago are not very good, but you can clearly see the black square which slips over the shaft. One side of the square engages the slot on the shaft because the square is sprung to go off-center. You have to shift the square so it's centered on the shaft... and while it's centered you pull the handle off. The second photo of my post shows the off-set position of the square. you can also see the "shoulder" or fold in the metal clip which gives it it's spring.
In order to center the square you have to either push on the shoulder (the "hinge" of the spring square), or get a tool behind the square, then pry and hold it out of the shaft's slot while jiggling and pulling on the handle.
I'm not satisfied with my explanation here ...I will try to come up with an improved version.
It helps to put your knee to the door panel near the handle and push in the panel, giving you some space to see what you need to do.
jason

Post by jason »

I understood you Roger, but I also have done this method numerous times! Its a little tedious for the first timer but once you see how it all works with the handles removed you will understand it better.