230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Cause?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

Re: 230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Caus

Post by rogerh »

If you plan or hope to rebuild it yourself, you will of course haave to correctly identify the make and model.
If you want to replace it for another "used" tranny, Big M in California and Freman's in Montana are two sources.
Closer to you is this guy Benny Buckner in West Virginia.
If you think you want your current unit rebuilt by others, take it to a transmission shop. If they don't want to touch it, ask them where you might go to get it repaired. At least maybe they can identify its make and model.
Last edited by rogerh on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Mark, Pictures of the transmission may help. There are a lot of old transmission shops in our area, plus good and old wrecking yards, other parts hoarders.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Afternoon Gents,
Todays update is that i have identified the trans as a WT 243 used 1957-1959.Also called an "early Chrysler 3 speed". I did find a source for a syncro but he wants $200. for just the syncro and that motivated me to try to do what i do. I made the pins out of tool steel (A-2) and had them heat treated to the same rockwell as the original pins (50-52 rockwell) and will be putting it all back together this weekend i hope, if the clutch search goes well and after the flywheel gets resurfaced.I did learn however for a mere 25 dollar investment that the just older 3 speed trans have the same gear train and the same syncro (1956 back to ?) so that is a possible supply for future but now i have a spare gear train if needed.
Transmission Exchange Co.
1803 NE ML King Blvd
Portland, OR 97212
800-776-1191
Helped me identify my trans and supplied me with the new input bearing at a real reasonable cost when everywhere else i looked was pricey.
Thanks to all that are following this and for the sources i'm getting for parts along the way.
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Morning all,
new problem, does anyone know of a source for clutches beside having them rebuilt?
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I would thing NAPA would be a good source, you can go online with them or any of the major parts houses. I will help with a search also.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Mark ,If you are fortunate enough to have someone that actually rebuilds clutches in your area, I would be having it done right now! I used to have a company here that had an antique clutch table and they really did a great job! they even taught me how to do my own. The trick is to have the parts. and shoe face grinder. the facing on the disc itself is simply riviting on the friction. and shock springs. check or replace. several things not just vehicles use the same disc.I,E. stationary power plants, cranes, in out boxes, power take off units and tractors. Et Cetera... Rick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark - There is a clutch plate on ebay right now. 59 Plymouth parts. Take a look.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Mark = Try this source for your clutch: Jacksons Oldtime Parts 1-800=333-8059.
Dick.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Good Morning Gents,
Todays update is as follows. I was able to source a clutch from H.R. Clutch real close to me in Bensalem Pa. Also I picked up a 56 trans from a guy over in York Pa. and i found the internals were identical.syncro and gear train, good thing too. I spent yesterday putting the gearbox back together and noticed second gear didn't feel right, suspicion confirmed after I had to remove the gear with some difficulty I found it was gauled up some and i suspect this all stemmed from the initial input shaft bearing retainer failure. Its all back together and I'm hoping there was enough good land left on the shaft where second gear rides to work correctly. But in the interim I am going to source a back up trans. RogerH do you have the contact info for the three sources you mentioned in your previous replies, preferbly the one in W. Virginia as i can drive to him to save on shipping.
Thanks to all following and contributing to this post
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Big M (John Fowlie) Williams, CA 530 473-2225
Freman's Auto, Whitehall, MT 406 287-5436
Benny Buckner, Princeton, W. VA. 304-920-1422
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks Roger h
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

SHE"S ALIVE, Good Morning all, The trans repair went well and now she has all three gears. Now to ready her for the road, can't wait to see how she drives.
Thanks for everyones help.
Mark
Reading Penna.

P.S. if anyone is interested i saw a complete 61 dodge seneca in a yard close by complete with 383 and a 3 speed behind it.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Way to go Mark, enjoy that beauty.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

There has never been a photo of this car posted, am I right?
There was a time when Listmembers were encouraged to send in one or more pictures of their car, along with a short story of how and why the car was acquired. A page was then created for each owner.
As it happens, life changes for the administrators got in the way, and the practice got shelved.
Hopefully, when Dan M. returns to the helm, we will get to see who belongs to this list, and their cars. :)
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

to all ,
sorry you're right I'll get a good picture and post it but don't expect a lot cause she is as she was left in the barn, but pretty enough for me.
THX Mark
rdg pa.