230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Cause?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

Re: 230 flat head no compression after way long sleep...Caus

Post by rogerh »

You are facing the problem that many, many other folks have encountered. :(
You need/want to change out your car's engine. However, only 1961-and earlier 318's will mate to the existing pushbutton transmission, so first you have to FIND an engine, and unless you are very fortunate, it probably will have to be rebuilt.

Another option is to go with a modern engine, but to do so you have to give up the pushbutton transmission with its built-in parking brake.
And you have to replace/modernize the steering column to accept a modern column shift, because (I believe) modern trannies are linkage-controlled, not cable-controlled. You could put a floor-mounted shifter, if the modern tranny is set up that way. But your car then loses the authentic look, and you still lack a parking brake.
It seems to me that I've seen ads for adapter kits whereby you could use the pushbuttons to shift a modern tranny, but even so, you still would lack a parking brake.
Some folks change out the entire drivetrain, includingthe rear axle, giving them modern brakes, modern U-joints, etc. The sticking point is those pushbuttons, and of course the parking brake!
My friend Ken Josephson in Las Vegas is involved in a long project to replace the 6-banger in his '59 wagon with a 440. You can find him on Forwardlook.net, or I can send you his personal email address.
The slant-six Mopars 1961-64 were coupled to pushbutton trannies, I wonder if that combo could go into a '59?
Of course, most folks want to upgrade to V-8 power.
Elsewhere on this List are stories of '59s with diesel engines in India, and other oddball conversions. I saw a '59 at a swap meet...it was non-operational..it had a DC motor in it! I guess you'd fill the trunk with batteries!?
-Roger-
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Mark ;
You are on the right trail. We used to fog old stagnant engines with Seafoam and Marvel oil. The mixture was atomized by a air pressurized sprayer, administered through intake exhaust and spark plug openings. Occasionally cranking the engine with no spark plugs.This worked very well. Yes there will be smoke on fire-up. Good thinking on tilting the car so the pistons would recieve your treatment. Your pistons are aluminum tin plated slipper style.
Engine conversions are labor intensive and expensive in some cases. Manual transmission cars are slightly easier if you have bell housing flywheel and clutch and linkages etc. Post Script Don't forget Motor mounts and frame parts if needed.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Personally if I had my druthers I'd go with the slant six, the toughest most dependaple engine on the planet and considering the cost of gasoline. Real economy plus if you could fine one with tranny attached less problems.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I had never heard of a turbo-charged slant six, yet there's one being discussed on ForwardlOOk.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - There was a T-Bucket at a show one time with a slant six and a huge roots blower from a GM diesel driven with a standard 1/2" wide V-belt, wierd looking but it seemed to work.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Here in the Denver metro area , the late 1990's was a MoPar racer that campagined a 68 Charger R/T Very successfully. During one of our Rocky-Mountain Performance MoPar meets He brought out a 69 Valiant turbocharged 225 Slant Six, he had converted himself from an old GM unit. Needless to say he won the burn-out contest and kicked some serious, you know what. Bob was quit a character, worked hard and raced hard, Enjoyed root beer floats. I haven't seen or heard from him in years, I'll have to look him up.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks to all you guys responding on this headache, I am going to take the head off tonight and see just what is going on. Hopefully it will be obvious and reasonably easy to deal with. As for the engine swap idea that would be my last resort mostly cause i like originality and I'm cheap :) and for me to find the correct V-8 engine on the east coast would probably be near impossible. The push button issue is not a thing for my savoy since she is a three on the tree, really what made me buy this car in the first place. She is a real plain jane base model and that is what appeals to me...Simplicity.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Mark, well put... With Carilse coming up in July, a 318 poly motor could be found I bet there just in case you want to pick one up for grins and later. You can keep the 3 speed manual too!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks John, good point. Now i will have to start to educate my self on what to look for and what to spend. I am close to carlisle.
Thanks,
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

long and behold, problem...solv...figured out, took off the head yesterday and ran the engine, as shes going i noticed valves stuck open and with a little time and WD i think they all work correctly now. I am going to check it again tonight to be sure 24hrs has not made a difference and if all the valves are still working then i will button her back up and go for ignition.Side note when i took off the head number two cylinder was full of stink bugs, little Bas....s get in everything.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oh-h, I get it! . Years ago, the engine was shut off. Thru the ensuing years as it hibernated, the valvetrain got all gummed up.
You went to start it by cranking over the engine, and all the valves got pushed open okay, but they were too gummed up to spring back closed.. Interesting!
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

HOUSTON WE HAVE IGNITION...Hooray, still one valve sticking but with a light tap on the head it stops sticking. I'll just keep running her til she frees up.She sounds good and starts right up.However i did learn that i forgot one of the old main rules of starting on old engine... don't put in brand new anti freeze til you flush out all the old gook. 2 gals down the pipes, oh well lesson learned. Can some one please refresh my memory on the best way to set up the carb. I only see one screw at the base and i think that is the air / fuel mixing screw but i have long forgotten the procedure.Also will i need to add lead additive to the gas?
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Mark, The quick and easy carb. idle mixture setting was when warmed up, turn the idle mixture screw right untill it stumbles and then left to stumble and split the difference. Check your timing with the vacuum advance dissconnected and plugged. and do the idle mixture screw again, then reconnect the vacuum advance.
There is enough left over tetra-ethel-lead to last for a while. If you are going to work her really hard some additive may help. My older L heads all had hardened exhaust valve seats. I have no idea if the 59 models have these seats for the exhaust. someone in the forum should know.
sallysavoy

Post by sallysavoy »

Thanks RICKYMOPAR...further update ,I changed the trans gear oil last night and the rear oil . The rear oil literally came out like molasses so i left it to drain overnight with the axle tilted to one side to get out as much of that goo as possible. Can't wait to run it down the driveway.
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.
jason

Post by jason »

rogerh wrote:I had never heard of a turbo-charged slant six, yet there's one being discussed on ForwardlOOk.

There is a company that builds superchargers for your slanty shanty also...... I'd rather have it Turbo charged myself.

http://kustombitz.mobile034.com/p/10803 ... lange.html