Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Colorado Belvedere Convertible progressing

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick, here are the pics of the locally made door panels and the SMS panels, My shop did it in two weeks and SMS (I think outsourced it) in 5 1/2 mos. Both are good quality and either one can be displayed on my car.

I asked both shops to include a turquoise vinyl in the door panel and both complied, I actually like the choice of the SMS turquoise that is closer to my exterior color. But both will work fine.

I do like the color match of my local shop lower carpet is an exact match to the main carpet on the floor, The black on the SMS one is fine too, but misses the tie in to the main carpet,
Dollar amount, Local shop for Front and rear interior panels $450 total two weeks, SMS 4 panels, $925 total 5 1/2 months.

One other note that sharp eyes will catch, my shop new that the stripes went vertical since they did the seats and all and did the door panels the same way. SMS also was told to go vertical but something got lost in the order and they went Horizontal, not a big deal at all.

My car is not a show car but a day two ( maybe year after car was new car) with owner type of enhancements and dealer add-ons like the Mopar Dealer Style AC add on etc.....

John Q.
100_4436.JPG
local shop on left SMS on right for all three pictures,
100_4437.JPG
100_4438.JPG
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Rick and John are both spot-on with their information. When I was searching for those lites to upgrade my Belv to SF, I made many inquiries across the country. I finally found a pair on a '64? Chrysler 300 center console which had just arrived at Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Sandy, OR., but I don't think I bought those. I got mine either from the guy in Tiffin,OH., or maybe Bennie Buckner in W. VA. I probably copied the location for drilling the holes off one of Tom Fox's cars.
I also found that map light, probably from a later model Mopar in some salvage yard. Hmm, my memory seems to be getting worse!
And I agree with John when he says he could have saved big bucks by avoiding SMS and going with his local upholsterer. One should only go to SMS for the factory-original look. :)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Use the Parts Book to find the part number for those courtesy lights. I think they are listed in the front pages, under Accessories. (But I can't remember how to search that part number for years used OTHER than 1959!)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

John - Thanks for the pictures, I like the color of the SMS panels better, too bad the buckles are not on them. As for the Courtesy lights Valley Vintage Autoparts has them on ebay for $79.00 buy it now, trouble is I don't know if thats for one light or a pair. I emailed them for a picture of the backside of the light and clarification of the amount. Go to www.valleyvintage@vvap.com.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Opps, that's thier email address, they are on ebay.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, those are just the bezels and lenses but you will need the base lamp housings too, which is not part of that package. You do get two of those bezels/Lenses, so you would be good to go in getting them, but you do the housings.

I will get a close up pictures of the housings for you.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

318fins

Post by 318fins »

Hello John its been awhile since ive been here ,your ride coming along very nicley looking top notch , doesnt look like its very far off from being finished, great work, gorgeous car.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks for the kind comments. It has been a long road and almost done to the enjoying part of a 59 Plymouth Convert ownership. I am pleased I did as much as I did (at a snails pace!) but should be driving it in a week. Can't wait. Exhaust goes on the 413RB on Monday and the the interior should be installed in the car the next week.

I am getting the convert sun visors done in the same fabric as the bolster material on the seats and should get that back next week. By a different upholstery shop that did a buddies 58 De Soto Convert. So I know they have experience in doing them.

The front lower valance was media blasted today at another shop here in Denver and will pick it up and get it smoothed out and painted Argent Silver next week by a friends body shop next week.

I still have not had the pot metal brake light pods re-chromed but I will just do that this winter. Some Quad aught (0000) steel wool will do a good job at least getting them to shine a bit.

I have our local Denver area Mopar show on August 11th and should be there as a running driving car. I am so excited to get it done and enjoying it.

I will check out your Photo bucket link to see what you have been up to! Opps just tried it and it says it is a Private Album and won't let me see anything. Is there a Public side I need to go to?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Alright , here is some current pictures to share with all. The 2 1/2" fitted exhaust system was completed today and the period correct type of Exhaust Deflectors that goes with my 6 mos + of what an 59 owner may do to enhace his car.

I have a couple of pic's on the lift at the local Mopar shop and one of the young Gerad Richards (age 20) firing up the car and driving it back into the garage for the night. He is sitting on a milk crate. Gerad owns a 58 Dodge Coronet with local race history. He is a whiz with Forward Look cars. (Kinda like a Colorado version of Matthew Keij)

With the exhaust on, the carpet and the seat belt installed and seats re-installed. Our club car show is this Saturday so we were under the gun to get all of done in time. I should be able to get the car picked up in my car trailer on Thursdat or Friday. And then take it to the show saturday AM early.

I don't have the registration or insurance in place or I would drive it down there to the south part of Denver. That should be done next week. Still there is lot of small details to do but I will have all winter to fine tune it before the 2013 Carilse event.

Side trim still needs to be adjusted but no time left. Going with the standard steering wheel since I have not shelled out the dollars for the recast of the Deluxe wheel that was on the car when I bought it.

John Q.
100_4445.JPG
100_4446.JPG
100_4447.JPG
100_4448.JPG
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Opps the wav file of the car running did not get attached, First time I have tried a short video clip and have to figure it out how to attach correctly. :oops:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

318fins

Post by 318fins »

Looking good! that aluminized pipe looks great under her bet she sounds sweet !
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Carlos, she does, and if I could figure out how to do the MOV file ( not a wav file) you can listen to it. Oh well, Last resort I send it to Ron or Dan, but that would be embarrassing! :oops:

Well I cam close, I exported the video first and then tried to attach it but a video with an MOV extention is not allowed, So I will learn how to convert it to something I can attach. Stay tuned...

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

John,

before you have to send it to Dan you might want to try uploading it to youtube. You can post the link on the forum and we will all be able to see and hear the car is alive! If you need help doing so just let me know and I can send you a step by step instruction. And don't keep us waiting any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Thanks Ron, None of the pictures shows the exhaust deflectors , just the straight 2 1/2" tailpipe. but the deflectors are on and not to bad looking. The .MOV shows them. But you can not see it yet!

I will try the U Tube route. I have never uploaded to it, only watched others so I will do the sign up on that and get you some sound to hear of a 413RB-4BBL Golden Lion motor!

Didn't you make a bet on my car being finished before someone else's care would be done? Hmmmm? 8)

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Ron, Well signed up for U tube no problem there. but U tube does not support the .MOV file. :? I will email it to you to see if you can convert it to a viewable file.

I will try to take a video using my droid instead of my old Kodak digital camera. I will head over to the shop and see if they will fire it up for me.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)