1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop

Hey, I've got this part. Interested in buying it?
53619PLF

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop

Post by 53619PLF »

Hello,

I will be selling my Sport Fury hardtop in the near future, and I wanted to let people know on here first. It is not listed anywhere yet. A little bit of information on the car is that it is white with the green factory interior which is very nice with no tears. The paint is nice and so is the chrome. There is a ding here and there, but it is pretty nice. Bumpers are good. It does need work, and at present shows 67,XXX miles. I can't say if it is on the 2nd time around. It is a 318 with the torqueflite. It presently has a miss, and I haven't had time to look into it too much, other than checking compression which shows 2 low cylinders. My next check is to put some oil in those cylinders to see if the pressure comes up. If not I need to check the cam. The body has had some rust repaired. I am not sure what I will be asking for it yet, but I can get some pictures for anyone interested.

Thank You
Tim Baker
rogerh

Re: 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop

Post by rogerh »

Hello Tim,
Pleae entertain us and post some good photos of your car. Images stay in the viewer's mind, and travel further than words. Post some pictures, our hardy group will make mental note of the car and pass the word to interested parties.
If you wait for "interested parties" to email you for photos, the sale will go slower.
My opinion......!
j67toy

Post by j67toy »

Hi tim, I might be interested and wouldn't make any difference to me about the engine. I would be completely going through everything. More interested in rust issues and history , pictures and , of course, price. Thanks John
j67toy

Post by j67toy »

Tim, still interested in the SF, If you haven;t sold it yet please send pictures to J67toy@hotmail.com, thanks
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

I will take some pictures to put on here this weekend, or I can send them to anyones email address that is interested.

Thank You
Tim Baker
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Attached are just a few pictures of my 59 Sport Fury hardtop I am selling. I have many more pictures if anyone is interested. The dual 4bbl setup does not go with the car, and I have an intake, 4bbl carb, and air cleaner off of a 58 Plymouth 318 that does. The record player under the dash does not go with the car either. My cell is (317) 439 - 7153 if anyone is interested, or has questions.

Thank You
Tim Baker
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0199c.jpg
IMG_0205c.jpg
carlabelle

Post by carlabelle »

Hi, Tim. I'm interested in this car. Is it an automatic? Power steering? Would like to know more, and what you're asking.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Hi, just thought I would pipe in with some answers for you until the seller responds but the picture of the interior of the SF shows the Push buttons of an Auto trans to the left of the instrument cluster, and there is enough buttons for it to be a 3 speed TorqueFlite auto not a 2 speed PowerFlite Auto.

Also, the engine picture photo shot shows a power steering pump on the front of the engine on the drives side, so it has Power steering on it too.

Hope this helps till the owner responds to your questions. :) Looks to be one nice SF for sale!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Yes as the other response indicates, it is a 3 spd torqueflite automatic with power steering. Low NADA guide is 11,635, as this car is optioned. This car does need work, so I was wanting to get $10,000 for the car. The car has a lot of good things going for it. The transmission shifts and works fine as of the last time driven, which has been over a year now. The car does run, but has a miss, and I have looked into it far enough to see that 2 of the cylinders have low compression. It could be the valves, rings, or even the cam. The front steering has no issues I am aware of. The interior is very nice with no rips or tears. The paint is very nice, as is the chrome and stainless. There are some small dings here and there in the stainless trim, but the majority of it is very nice with no issues at all. The car stops fine, but the brakes should be checked. I had the left rear tire off the other day, airing it up, and it looked as though the wheel cylinder was leaking. The car has had the usual rust spots repaired, and it looks very nice. The lower rear quarters have been replaced, and the rear wheel well lips. The fenders on top behind the headlight, and at the bottom. The rockers have been repaired, and also the trunk floor on the sides, and part of the floor pans. Some of the repair was amateur, for example, the floors have had metal put in over the top, and you can look up from the bottom, and still see some of the old floor. The car is as I purchased it, and I have done nothing to it, as I found a nice 59 Sport Fury convertible shortly after I purchased this. I have many other pictures if anybody wants to see them. I will answer any questions that I can. I did check with Chrysler Historical Services, and they do have record of this car, but I never ordered the documents.

Thank You
Tim Baker
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Car is listed on Ebay running through to next Sunday evening 10/31/10. It can be pulled off at any time, as it states in the listing.

Thank You
Tim Baker
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Tim, we will keep an eye on your SF HT. Should do well from what I see. Have you told us about your Convert yet? I would love to see some pictures of that one once your HT auction is over with.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

John,

I will take some more pictures of my convertible, but there are a few on this website. The car I have is on the showcase under Russell Housen, as I puchased it from him about 2 years ago. It has lower miles and runs and drives excellent. I need to get the hood bumpers, and the trunk and door weatherstrips as they are pretty worn and cracked. How is the underside supposed to be finished ? Is it just car color ? I know about Andy Bernbaum, and Gary Goers, and have heard people talk about them on here, but does anybody on here have a real preference to either one. I want good quality parts, so any input from anyone is greatly appreciated. Most of the chrome is really nice, but can anyone recommend someone who straightens stainless trim ? I should probably put this on technical information.

Thank You
Tim Baker
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Depending if your car had undercoating or not, most of the interior and exterior metals is painted with a strange hue of beige/lavneder or soft purple. At least on parts not receiving body color.

According to what I heard on the Forward Look site, it seems that Chrysler back in the day dumped left over paint on the assembly line into a large drum. As a way to use the paint up on painting insides and undersides this blaise color that would just cover the exposed metal only.

i can atttest that on the replacement floor I got for my convert and what I discovered under the undercoating, it was this color.

This was not done at the plants I worked at in the mid 70's but procedures and corrosion resistant techniques changed with the times (and customer complaints too!) But was probably done in the 50's for sure to recyle un-used paint for the day and use it for non-critcal steel coatings.

On a true factory coverage of paint there is always some overspray of body color onto the underside even with masking off of area's. Some people duplicate this 'sloppy factory applications' but it is up to you how authentic you want your car to be.

I don't have any positve or negative comments on Goers or Bernbaum, I just put in a $650 order with Goers, so we will see how that turns out when I get the product from him this week. I picked him since he is close to Colo on shipping and some good reviews by others.

Chrome/Stainless Steel repairs is a tough one. Very expensive I found out but my unique convert trim was beat to Heck from the elements and hail damage. 17 pieces I sent out here in town cost me $1200 but they needed a lot of work to get them right. In comparison, my 413 RB rebuild cost the same to do!

Talk with some local people in your town at car shows or auto paint stores, there is always someone they know who can do the work. but get some referrals from previous customers on the work done for them. I did the same and that is why I had the work done by this guy since he does good but expensive work. I guess, one goes hand in hand with the other.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am going to take a back seat to all further conversations concerning body color, etc, but I gotta say that I disagree with John about undercarriage color. My car, my other 59 Ply, and Tom Fox's cars all had "Dove Grey" paint in trunk and undercarriage. The frame was black.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I remember Russell Housen and his car. I sold him some parts over the years. He called himself pianoman...(he sold pianos). I believe Dick knew him, or OF him. I think he got divorced and neeeded to sell the car...