New member J67toy, 59 looking

j67toy

New member J67toy, 59 looking

Post by j67toy »

Well after a month of looking I May have found a 59 sport fury for around 18000. car looks real nice but hard to tell from small picture. It was bronze originally, now metalic red, actually looks maroon in pictures. Seat are original brown and torn, rest of interior and dash brown, belvadere 318 with 4 barrel carb, power steering. Owner says he has had it for 3 years. Had some rust issues which have been repaired according to owner,trunk needs some attention. I don't want to post the site and don't know how to transfer the pictures for viewing. Can you give me an idea of value here. Thanks in advance John :) :?:
Matthew Keij

Re: New member J67toy, 59 looking

Post by Matthew Keij »

Welcome here!

Car is hard to judge without pics, you can copy and paste the link of the pics and use the IMG tags to show them.
318 with a 4 barrel carb was standard on the Sport Fury, is the 318 with superpak.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

j67toy wrote:Well after a month of looking I May have found a 59 sport fury for around 18000. car looks real nice but hard to tell from small picture. It was bronze originally, now metalic red, actually looks maroon in pictures. Seat are original brown and torn, rest of interior and dash brown, belvadere 318 with 4 barrel carb, power steering. Owner says he has had it for 3 years. Had some rust issues which have been repaired according to owner,trunk needs some attention. I don't want to post the site and don't know how to transfer the pictures for viewing. Can you give me an idea of value here. Thanks in advance John :) :?:
John, if you click the right mouse button on the pictures, do you have the option to save the pictures? Can you save to the desktop, and then email to me? I am morton at rad dot upenn dot edu. I would be happy to post here for others to comment.

I think a Sport Fury without a Golden Commando, torn upholstery and with a trunk that needs attention is going high at $18K, but best to see some pix.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Welcome aboard John! I agree with Dan, that $18k is a bit high for a SF but maybe it is a convertible..Or the more conveted Belvdere trim level that everyone wants! LOL (Sport Fury is the highest trim level but always want to keep the Belvedere trim level in the spotlight!)

What city and state do you hale from? We may have a 59 Forum member nearby to assist you in checking out this car.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Maybe we should ask about the country first John, 18K seems more like a European price for a Sport Fury. But a general location would help in finding a car, haven't been looking for a while but there were a couple of 59's for sale in the US a few weeks ago. And now I know a bit about transporting a car so it is important how far away the car is, 1000 miles in the US is more expensive than having in shipped across the ocean :x

I did send John a PM this morning and offered to post the pictures for him if he's mail me the pics or the link.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

you are right Ron, He may be in your neck of the Woods and $18K would almost be in line. I guess we will stay tuned for a location and a Profile update from John.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

He must be an American or at least have lived there for a long time, reading his post he can't be a European. And in his very first post on the forum he wrote about cruising Modesto and I guess that is in Ca. I know there are other Modesto's but he also wrote that he had the windows down.

Ron
j67toy

Post by j67toy »

You guys are good. Yes Im from Stockton California, and the car is in Texas. I will try to send pictures if I can. Id # M296102029, maybey someone could break that down for me. Anyway this morning the guy says he has a new interior he bought for 4000 that is bronze and white, totally useless to me since I want to paint the car white w/blue interior.Don't want to piss this guy off but Im thinking more like 13500. in my original post I said my car in 1966 was a Sovoy 2dht. After seeing more pictures I now know it was a Belvadear with 318 3 speed converted to floor shift. Being 62 I like automatic but would like the golden comando engine. I could not find trunk panels on internet, any help. I want this car but cant buy unseen. Thanks for your help
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi John,

Depending on where it is in Texas I know a guy there who can and will inspect cars for a reasonable fee. But as Tx. is a huge state it might be too far away from him. If the interior is done like original you will be able to sell it and you would need the upholstery buckles if you want the interior to look like original.
M29 is for a 1959 Sport Fury that was build in Detroit.

Ron
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John,

The pictures you sent were very small - I can post them here, but I'm not sure how helpful they will be. Except, perhaps, for the engine pix - which by no means commend the car for $18K!

I have pictures of a red metallic Sport Fury with a torn brown interior belonging to Eric Oliver. These are from 2007, when Eric lived in Virginia. Is this the same Eric with whom you've been corresponding, and who now lives in Texas?

I'll post some pix here - tell me if we're talking about the same car!

Dan
Engine 1.JPG
From John...
Engine 2.JPG
From John...
imageresize2.jpg
From John...
MVC-004F.JPG
From Eric Oliver
MVC-007F.JPG
From Eric Oliver
Swiveler.JPG
From Eric Oliver. I have more!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
j67toy

Post by j67toy »

Yes, that is the same Eric Oliver, lives in Frisco Texas
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Looks like a decent car from the outside.

Has the 318 but needs a good clean. Interior should be re-done in red or something.
Rear bumper has the rubber guards but the front bumper hasn't got the strips. Once in it's life it had a different front bumper or rear bumper guards with the rubber.
Also looks like it has a 2 barrel by looking at the clamp of the aircleaner.

Has power steering but no power brakes. Dual mirrors, not the deluxe from what i can see.
Torqueflite!
Heater.

They are rare but 18k? Think it is a little bit too much with that interior.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

It might be the picture quality but doesn't it look like the steering wheel translucent material was painted? Blasphemy :shock: And no dual antennae.
imo 18 is too much. I'd offer maybe 10.
Did John say the interior material cost $4000. I thought you could get an interior done - materials and labor for 4 or 5 grand. Or am I wrong.
Regarding Vin #....like Ron said M29 indicates Sport Fury model and 6 means it was built in Detroit. The 102029 is production #. The "10" doesn't mean anything. It's like a filler #, if that makes sense. The 2029 is the actual production #.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Actually, the '2029 is the Sequential production number at that plant, Each Chrysler mfg plant all started with the 6 digits numerical extention after the Model year designation, Trim Level and engine variety. Every plant had a 2029 as a production number assigned and built to a car but it could be a Savoy, Suburban, Belvedere, Fury or SF trim level depending on the plant it was built at. And further it could have been a 2 door, 4 door, convertible or Station wagon.

So everyone one's car could have a twin or lesser/greater twin using the same 2029 sequential production number but in a different trim/model/engine level.

It wasn't till the late 60's and early 70's when plants were closed and production consolidated to fewer plants and extra shifts added at those plants hat the 10 in 100,000 was used. Call it wishful thinking to start off with 100,000 unit production (actuall could have gone to 999,999 at each plant.

Further complicating matters is some plants also built different divisional cars like Dodges, De Soto's etc. which even I don't know, with my limited Chrysler experince, if they had their own 2029 or it was used once on at that plant on a Plymouth and on the 2nd line next to the Plymouth where they built Dodges on 2030 could have been assigned next.

My understanding was it was plant specific not model specific in regards to the use of the 100,000 numbering system. At least that is how it worked in the 70's and 80's when I worked for Chrysler.

There is a picture I need to dig up that shows 58 Plymouths coming off the line in the final inspection and next to it is a 58 Dodge also coming off the line for inspection. Can never say never in Mopar land understanding...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)